Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Friends: (0)
Default Tri-phan - thrust vectoring tri-copter by monophan

This is a prototype that I designed during long drives of a recent road trip. It’s a combination of tri-copter and MonoPhan thrust vectoring technology. The purpose is to come up with the most stable EDF powered camera platform. The unit always stays level while the thrust vectoring takes care of all directional input. No tilting at any time. I also wanted to reduce the lateral resistance therefore wind drag by keeping it level.

Never packed this much electronics, mechanics and cables in such a tight space before. 35mm EDFs powered by an amazing Genace hardcase lipo which also act as the landing gear. It took me a couple of days to tune it well enough to fly. The smaller the harder… I believe the flight time is over 5 minutes.

It has interesting flight characteristics Will work on fixing some of the lose parts to get it to some higher speeds and test the maneuverability... Ignore the date on the video. This was taken today. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shS-MIpFUZ0
Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

I can totally see a laser gun mounted to that.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
I can totally see a laser gun mounted to that.
haha, I agree
Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #4
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Re-assembled the unit fixing some lose parts. Flies like a charm. Not suitable for high winds and it is tiny but still beats the wind pretty well as seen in the video.

The flight time is AMAZING for a tiny EDF contraption I calculated over 7 minutes theoretical flight time, which means I can easily get more than 6:30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QB-Th0XgA4
Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 AM   #5
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

The maiden flight of the new 64mm TriPhan. It turned out to be a real beauty. Just wanted to hover a little bit and test the flight and the controls. Flies very well. Crash landed at the end of the flight due to hardware failure. I could swear it was ESC failure but then they didn’t even feel hot. When I got back I realized that the flight controller failed!!!

My first flight controller failure during a flight. Will replace and test again.

This unit is built to be a part of a larger project which I believe some will find very interesting. Hopefully I will make updates in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aK3uw8KO0U
Old 12-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

I had a “no-drama” second flight. The new calculated flight time is around 6 minutes. I tested hover stability, some maneuvers and see how it handles, avoiding flying too high, keeping in mind the last flight’s failed FC. It looks pretty good but a little funky on the controls. I would want it a little more responsive when I am harder on the sticks. So I did a little bit more PID tuning.

Below is the 3rd flight after PID. Better handling after the PID tune. A little bit of breeze today, good for the test. Lots of people and kids around, so I cut it short. I little more tuning and I think I am ready for some higher speeds at the larger section of the park Some nice closeups where you can see the fans change angle to control the unit. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JAHETxVfks
Old 12-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #7
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

The last and a better flight with higher speeds. I reached the limit of the pitch stick once. Which means that I still have some more room to tilt the fans for higher speeds. I can keep on increasing the tilt angle and speed until I feel a significant altitude loss. I will probably go that route in the next couple of weeks and let you guys know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCfSIWSqo8

Old 12-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

During my projects over the span of 4 years I had a love & hate relationship with the GPSs. I used them a lot but had to deal with all kinds of weird reactions from drifting to almost crashing the craft with wild swings, etc… Also, they are not very accurate and not very suitable for the purpose of my current projects, which requires precision. So, I am working on implementing alternative position hold systems.

One of these is optical flow sensor. I had this adns3080 sensor for more than a year and al last I had a chance to test it. One of the reasons that I found courage to test is that TriPhan doesn’t tilt. So, “hopefully” I don’t need to deal with the calculations required to adjust for the tilt angle, etc…

I am NOT conducting this with the APM board which the sensor is built for, but an Arduino board that talks to the flight controller. So, I setup my arduino nano and the code to do what I need it to do. It took me a significant amount of time to make everything work together. Below is the video of the very first test and it turned out to be way better than I expected from a first test. This is a VERY good sign. We had a little bit of drift at some parts but overall, the unit was hammered where it was on all X, Y, Z axis (BARO for Z). I even tried to push it with my hand, it wouldn’t move

Now it’s time for further tuning and higher altitude tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu4p...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Here is the latest test. Getting to understand cause effect a little better.

The improvements: 1- I rewired the arduino board and the sensor with better and lighter stuff. 2- I adjusted the focal length of the sensor lens. Before it was at the shortest level which I think caused problem as the unit climbed higher. 3- I increased the sensor sensitivity range that I adjust with the 5th channel towards the more sensitive side. I wanted to find the sensitivity limit where the unit over compensates and starts oscillating.

First couple of tries the sensor did nothing and the unit drifted. So, I reduced the focal length, to be around 1/3rd of the full range. Then the unit responded really well. You can see the unit oscillating, caused by overcompensating at the beginning. Then it stabilized as I reduced sensitivity. After this I took it higher and it kept the position without drifting. Having a little wind really helped to feel the response of the unit. Now it’s time to go higher and see what it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL51ffaG8RE

Old 12-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

The best test so far. I operated the sensor right below the sensitivity level where it oscillated yesterday and the same focal length. In fact, I set the maximum sensitivity to that level. So, I can adjust it up and down with ch5. I took it as high as I felt comfortable, probably around 125-150 feet. It started to drift a little as it went higher but didn’t lose the position hold. I guess that is normal as there will be relatively stronger winds up there. Didn’t touch the sticks while in pos hold mode. Still WAY better than my experience with GPSs.

So Far I am very happy with the results. Next step is to install an OSD and FPV cam so I know how high I am going, etc… I want it to be able to hold position as high as 300 feet. Further tests will show if the current setup is capable of handling that. There is a chance that I will need to automatically increase sensitivity as it goes higher. As you know the objects which are further away seem to move slower. I am pretty sure this will be the case with the optical flow sensor and the sensitivity level close to ground may not be able to provide a tight pos hold at higher altitudes..

Future videos will most likely be aerial videos with some on screen information. I also want to test it in higher winds and do necessary tuning to be able to beat some strong winds.

Thanks for following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyaa...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #11
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

The project is moving along.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #12
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
The project is moving along.
Thanks for following.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:44 AM   #13
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Re-tuned the first 35mm prototype with what I learned from the second 64mm prototype. Love it. Flies faster and nimbler. Just need to reduce yaw compensation to get rid of the servo flutter that happened during takeoff and a couple of more times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0kL...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-08-2018, 03:41 AM   #14
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Watch the little dragster zip like a badass, maneuver like a pro and land on my hand like a falcon At last I found what flying this unit feels like. It feels like flying a drag boat… I replaced the canopy and now it looks like one, too.

Especially at the turns a little wobble in roll compensation looks just like a drag boat turning. It flies soo good after the last updates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNSW4SNCV4

Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

I had a nasty crash in my first test with the on board cam. The unit simply stopped working in midflight. So, I fixed the damage and in the process found out some problems with the setup. It took a while to change the setting, the code, etc… I also completely separated the electric circuit for the whole aerial video system, to avoid any problems that may cause during the flight.

The first flight with aerial recording. After hours of trying I was able to have the OSD work and provide some useful on screen data. I activated the optical flow right after I climb 3m and go as high as 21m with any major problems. The only problem that I am having is a little bit of yaw drift. Didn’t want to push too far in the first serious flight after changing the setup. The new code also have nice feature where I can adjust the yaw and the roll still holds and vice versa…

I have a set of poor man’s FPV goggles with an external eachine DVR attached on the outside

Next step is to integrate a GPS to the system for high altitude position hold and a solid yaw hold. I will be using Arduino with the GPS, shaping my own code, instead of going with the stock GPS capabilities on the board, which are very unstable many times.

Thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdDGD56twZ8

Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #16
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

It's flying nicely. Was that a hand catch at the end?

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 AM   #17
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
It's flying nicely. Was that a hand catch at the end?
Thanks! Yes, that's how I usually end the flights. Not risky like the quads when you have the EDFs
Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 AM   #18
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

A better aerial video with some closeups from a tree top, to test the precision of the position hold. Overall a better flight, except a couple of slight drifts during hold. I think I figured out the reason for that and revised the code. Hoping to test again tomorrow.

Meanwhile trying to get used to FPV. This flight was on and off, sometimes through the goggles but mostly naked eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqvFwuSeTRA

Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 AM   #19
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

It was a windy day but the 7 degree roll tilt is not because of the wind. The unit was a little off today. Roll balance was off but I decided to proceed with the test. Anyway, I was able to go up to 39m down with a solid optical flow position hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiueCDRFCcs

Old 01-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #20
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Did some more fine tuning and had a good test. Went up to 52m or 170ft with a solid position hold and back. All of this flight video, except the hand launch and hand landing has been done in crawl mode, and baro hold. The position hold performed very well, even when I got as close as inches to a tree top. I believe I am getting very close to my target of having a precision position hold which can also perform at higher altitudes. The next step is installing a front sonar to avoid contact at closeups. Then, I will also install a GPS as a backup system.

I am pretty confident that the system will work in even higher altitudes but I cannot test that in my neighborhood park. Need to get out to the fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH7B64sEU0o

Old 02-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #21
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

A better test of crawl mode + optical flow + sonar + Baro. A longer precision approach to a tree with the tractor beam. I can easily adjust the distance with the 5th ch knob while all systems are taking care of the pos hold. I consider this mission accomplished. Maybe some further fine tuning but nothing further is necessary. I will probably post a couple more videos of a precision approach to some objects and a cliff.

Ground cam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cggfBAHqhl4

Onboard cam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui0rA5PUKFg
Old 02-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #22
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Testing the performance of the position hold in some relatively strong gusts. I had to do this before declaring glory on this project. 20-25mph gusts. The unit is fully under pos/alt hold right after take off. Stays within a radius of 2-3m. Hardware and software work well together and beat the wind. Good performance. Thx...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSKxnJuUJlU

Old 04-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #23
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Decided to have some fun with this. It was a handsome unit as it was. So, I wanted to see how it would look like with some boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6Qozhb8Yw

Old 04-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #24
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

A better flight video in the daylight. I really like the looks of this bad boy. I’ll keep this as the best looking unit I ever created. Even my wife liked it… for the first time in 5 years that I have been building😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmf5PQbUYM

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft