Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Converting PZ Spitfire to brushless

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

no problem, keep us posted with pictures on how your build goes.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 PM
abagnalejr123

Default ooh, ooh, almost finished!!

Almost finished, for the THIRD AND FINAL TIME!! Next mis-hap, I'm buying a desk-top static display model!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost finished.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	81916  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Aviator24

Default If You Do...

I bet it would not be long and you would be mounting a brushless motor, esc, receiver and servos on it

Originally Posted by abagnalejr123 View Post
Almost finished, for the THIRD AND FINAL TIME!! Next mis-hap, I'm buying a desk-top static display model!!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 PM
AETCBoom4

Aviator: What's your status on the build?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Aviator24

Default Do You Mean...

My build has been done for a month now? I burned up an ESC and did a couple tree landings though
I received a new 40amp ESC and Spektrum receiver. Everything is all in place. I am now waiting on the Michigan weather About 4pm today, the sun was out, light winds and 50 degrees or so? Twenty minutes later it was hailing large pea sized hail!! Unbelievable. I was sooo glad I did not venture out to the field. I would be adding more yellow duct tape covering up hail puncture wonds on my Spitfire

Originally Posted by AETCBoom4 View Post
Aviator: What's your status on the build?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Aviator24

FINALLY!
I uploaded my first video to Youtube. Keep in mind, it is an OLD camcorder. My GF was video taping for the first time also.
This is with my brushless setup but was flown with a 15C battery. I was not able to get full power for more than a few seconds.
Anyways...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00Eh7r3lrk[/media]
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Aviator24 View Post
FINALLY!
I uploaded my first video to Youtube. Keep in mind, it is an OLD camcorder. My GF was video taping for the first time also.
This is with my brushless setup but was flown with a 15C battery. I was not able to get full power for more than a few seconds.
Anyways...

Nice man. YEah that's the big difference for me - In my maiden video I was flying with a TP 2070 25C/50C, so I could run at WOT for decent stretches. I grabbed a few of the Zippy No-label 2200mAh 30C's from UH and they work well, too.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 AM
AETCBoom4

Ground; What prop did you end up settling with? Some have reported using a 10x6 APC "E" with good results with this setup.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AETCBoom4 View Post
Ground; What prop did you end up settling with? Some have reported using a 10x6 APC "E" with good results with this setup.
I used both a APC 9x7.5E and a MAS 10x6 and both work great. I prefer the 10x6 because it fits the dubro spinner I use a lot neater and well, I like Master airscrew props, what can I say.

I actually used a 10x8 MAS on my 'Stang which up until recently had the Eflite 6-series 2700Kv in it... that works well too as it is easier to swing that prop on that motor without over-amping.

I have sorta mothballed these two warbirds for a little while, as I am now working on a Formosa II and a Gee Bee Y (the one from Hobby Lobby). When I get my EagleTree kit up and humming I will post some numbers for sure.

GRU
Old 11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Aviator24

OK, I was able to record wattmeter info yesterday on my Spitfire.
I was running my 11.1V 2200mah zippy 30-40c for the testing.
The Amps Peaked initially at 37A. The Watts reading peaked at the beginning at 440Watts!! That is pretty good. Running the Align 430L, 3550Kv brushless, 9x9e APC prop and a 40amp ESC.
I borrowed the wattmeter, gotta get one of them. Very nice...
Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 AM
SpitfireTrembly

I am currently modifying a new wing with retracts on my spit. For covering up holes made to insert servos/etc. I had a damaged wing that i exacto-knifed as much of the film off of it as i could. It easily can be glued over your servo holes. Just an idea.

If anyone is interested in the retract idea let me know and i can start a new thread.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SpitfireTrembly View Post
I am currently modifying a new wing with retracts on my spit. For covering up holes made to insert servos/etc. I had a damaged wing that i exacto-knifed as much of the film off of it as i could. It easily can be glued over your servo holes. Just an idea.

If anyone is interested in the retract idea let me know and i can start a new thread.
What retract kit are you using? GWS maybe?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 AM
SpitfireTrembly

Hi jbestell (i found you through youtube a couple weeks ago).
I am using the alfa spitfire retracts kit from hobby-lobby and shortened the length by 1 and 1/4 an inch or around 30mm. I 'll go find the link for those retracts for you.
-Jay
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 AM
SpitfireTrembly

Here's the retracts link.
hobby-lobby.com/retracts (i guess i'm too new here to post a link)
part # is: ALF60011 price $19.90

They are pretty easy to assemble, though the instructions are crap and in some other language. haha.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Here's the retracts link.
hobby-lobby.com/retracts (i guess i'm too new here to post a link)
part # is: ALF60011 price $19.90

They are pretty easy to assemble, though the instructions are crap and in some other language. haha.

Here's the link
. Interesting. Ya know, I've probably spent a dozen hours or more in total looking at the hobby lobby website, and yet there are still all sorts of nooks I have never seen. Who knew they had an entire page of just retracts. Or maybe it says something about the willy-nilliness of the web design.

Should be a pretty cool project - I've thought about it myself but the lack of a rudder has always made it seem kinda frivolous. I've seen it done on the Mustang though and it turned out well.

Good luck and keep us posted. And Welcome to Wattflyer.com.

GRU
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
SpitfireTrembly

I'll post some photos of the retract project. Space is everything and you have to carve away all the foam right down to the last layer of foam next to the plastic film of the top wing. The servo mounts dead center, just behind the aileron servo. Because of this weakening of the wing, i'll definitely be adding the carbon fiber rods before i go airborne. It's frivolous, yes, but it's a conversion on a damaged bird. Since it's a rebuild project, it's a brushless upgrade and a switch over to a 4ch radio so i can run the retracts up and down. I just wanted to see if it was possible to do. But, it ought to save on prop/cowl/ and wrinkling/stressing the forward foam of the fuselage. It's an ugly undertaking, but with the saved plastic film off of the damaged wing, i could cut pieces of the film and cover up the foambeads when i'd carved out enough foam.

Last edited by SpitfireTrembly; 11-11-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: not finished explaining...
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 AM
SpitfireTrembly

Here's a question. Since this is a rebuild...does anyone still re-mount the plastic exhaust pipes on their new cowl? Or is it best to toss 'em and save a bit of weight?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
SpitfireTrembly

This "conversion" , (and where the additional servo has to sit, will require a bit of change to the plastic airframe on the parkzone Spitfire)
But from my observations and how it is all put together, i really do not think it will compromize the integrity of the plane.
On this rebuild i have seen alot of plastic that really could be lost for weight's sake, with the airframe.
So i snip away at un-needed plastic.
I have a spare plastic frame on hand and if anyone is really interested in where i snip away at, i'll do my best to show in some photos.

We all do our mod's differently, and i'll NEVER claim i did the right thing.
The frame is made of a type of plastic that is hard to glue to. But as i find problems i'll tell you how i solved them. The inner frame will not flex that much, in my opinion.
(Not once the entire plane is screwed together and ready to fly.)

But unless someone has inner fuselage video that they can show me that it does flex alot? I'll stick to my word that you can snip away here and there.
If you add an ounce you best take two away!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Aviator24

Retracts, very nice!
I do not think another thread is needed? This one hardly gets much use.
I have wished for landing gear on my Spitfire. I just cannot bring myself to fly with em down as it will really hurt my speed? I have gone to a lot of trouble to upgrade to my brushless and love the speed.
I ditched the plastic pipes on the cowl. Spent too much time taking em off and on.
Cannot wait to see photos!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Here's a question. Since this is a rebuild...does anyone still re-mount the plastic exhaust pipes on their new cowl? Or is it best to toss 'em and save a bit of weight?

AETCBoom4 ditched his in favor of a pair from a PZ p-51 mustang (merlin pipes) and because they are low-profile they are easier to screw in, and give something for the screws to bite into.

I followed his lead - they look pretty snazzy.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Exhaust

I re-mount mine with the screw heads on the inside of the cowl screwed into short pieces of plastic tubing. Then mount the cowl to the fuselage with velcro. Some black Sharpie makes them look better.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 PM
SpitfireTrembly

Retracts, very nice!
I do not think another thread is needed? This one hardly gets much use.
I have wished for landing gear on my Spitfire. I just cannot bring myself to fly with em down as it will really hurt my speed? I have gone to a lot of trouble to upgrade to my brushless and love the speed.
I ditched the plastic pipes on the cowl. Spent too much time taking em off and on.
Cannot wait to see photos!!!
Aviator24,
The retracts will be up in the wing during flight. you'd only have them down on landing. You'd have them up if you still wanted to hand launch, or have them down if you wanted to take off and them draw them up into the wing. I'll show how it's done once i get photos/ video taken.
I've even added pieces to the landing gear , just like a real Spitfire, to cover the landing gear opening.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Aviator24

Default Yes...

I realize the benefit of the retracts. I had not thought this would be an option on this plane? I have some landing gear I coudl easily mount on my Spitfire but did not want to have to fly with em down all the time.
Retracts sound like the ticket...

Aviator24,
The retracts will be up in the wing during flight. you'd only have them down on landing. You'd have them up if you still wanted to hand launch, or have them down if you wanted to take off and them draw them up into the wing. I'll show how it's done once i get photos/ video taken.
I've even added pieces to the landing gear , just like a real Spitfire, to cover the landing gear opening.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I realize the benefit of the retracts. I had not thought this would be an option on this plane? I have some landing gear I coudl easily mount on my Spitfire but did not want to have to fly with em down all the time.
Retracts sound like the ticket...

Again its the lack of a rudder that makes it a little problematic. Wheels are nice but you cannot steer them with ailerons.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
SpitfireTrembly

Yeah. You'd have to have a parking lot or the like to let it land and coast to a stop. But that's not too hard to find. It's just a project i am trying, because i hate belly landing my planes.

Quick Reply: Converting PZ Spitfire to brushless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18660 seconds with 15 queries