Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

E-Flite 400 Outrunner Shaft Replacement

Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
gravityrules
gravity rules

Default E-Flite 400 Outrunner Shaft Replacement

Broke the shaft in a truly spectacular lawn dart manuever. I ordered three replacement shafts today. Anyone have experience replacing this? Easy or hard?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey Gravity I replaced the shaft on my park 480, I wouldn't think it woud be too much different. If not it's a piece of cake.

Loosen up the set screws on the shaft and slide it out. Note the placement of the flat spots on the shaft and put the new one in the same way and tighten eveything back up. put the new c clip on and you are back in business.

I was actually a little disapointed, I planned on working on mine one evening and was done in about 5 minutes, didn't have anything to do the rest of the night!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Hey Gravity I replaced the shaft on my park 480, I wouldn't think it woud be too much different. If not it's a piece of cake.

Loosen up the set screws on the shaft and slide it out. Note the placement of the flat spots on the shaft and put the new one in the same way and tighten eveything back up. put the new c clip on and you are back in business.

I was actually a little disapointed, I planned on working on mine one evening and was done in about 5 minutes, didn't have anything to do the rest of the night!
LMAO, The same thing happen with me the 1st time I changed a shaft!! Thats funny, I thought I was in for this big project and then..........nothing.:p I was done just like that! I felt a little silly, but I was glad it was so easy.

CTD
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
gravityrules
gravity rules

Thanks! That is exactly what I hoped. I really didn't want to be heating the cases, using special tools, buying green loctite, etc. Now I know I can be spending most of my time gluing little pieces of foam back together instead!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gravityrules View Post
Thanks! That is exactly what I hoped. I really didn't want to be heating the cases, using special tools, buying green loctite, etc. Now I know I can be spending most of my time gluing little pieces of foam back together instead!
Now I'm LMAO! gluing foam back together... been there and done that! You guys are both making me feel better!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Twmaster

IMHO you should be using the 'blue' Loctite though to put the motor back together. Y'all can call me Mr. Paranoid.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

that is a good idea Mike and I do use it on all my screws for safety, guess I left that part out of my advice since I do it automatically...