Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Dx61 questions

Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Dx61 questions

OK I took the plunge and bought a DX6i. I know I probably should have bought an 8 but I love my wife and I need to keep her around. So with thay said while reading the manual. I got confused again between Mode 1 and Mode 2. Mode 2 is what I think I want setup which is

MODE 2
Left Stick - Throttle up and down. Ruder right and left
Right Stick - Ailerons left and right and elevator up and down

Do I have this right? Probablyt been asked to many time to count but I coud not find a link here to read so....

Also how does one know if an Rx is Spectrum compatible I have seen the orange one which does seem popular but are there others?

Finally, In my SC the battery is already hard wired to the Rx if I were to add a Rx to another plane where does the battery go? The Tx came with AR6115e but I do not see where the battery is hooked up am I missing something here?

Again I am sorry if this is a repeated thread but again I could not find an answer to my questions so...

Thanks in advance
Fishbonez
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
Mode 2 is what we use here in the states
For a new rx in the sc you would need purchase and use an esc to plug into the new rx for the stock sc uses an integrated rx/esc
Cant answer your question about different brand rx's as i always use Spectrum and JR
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Wow! Photobucket is having a fight with Firefox 5 and Photobucket is winning! The links just won't work properly. Google Chrome to the rescue.

Ok, here's the exploded view of all the electrical components in a Slow Stick, which is a cutaway diagram that flies.

From the front (on the right) and working back we have the brushless motor. It has three wires coming from it to bullet connectors to connect to the three wires from the electronic speed control, which have matching bullet connectors. These wires are all the same color, so there is no way to connect these up in any special way. They all work. However, your motor MIGHT run backwards. If it does reversing any two connections will fix that.

On the back side of the ESC you have a long flat wire harness with a servo connector on it. That goes to the throttle slot on your radio. That is how the radio tells the ESC how fast to run the motor. It's also the data link on my data logging Super Brain ESC but that's another story.

Also coming out the back side of the ESC there are two large diameter wires, red and black which are soldiered into my favorite type of battery connector, the Horizon Hobby EC3 connector. These are VERY easy to soldier and carry amperage VERY well. They're also dirt cheap. I don't see any reason to even consider anything else. Whatever kind of connector you choose, if you use the same kind on all your models you can use all your batteries for all your planes, so long as the cell count is within reason. I wouldn't try the 1300 mAh Rhino in the photo in a Vapor. Might not get off the ground....

You see the red and black wires from the battery going into the matching EC3 connector. There's only one place that can go! It connects to the two battery wires coming from the back side of the ESC. The radio gets its power through the throttle wire, already mentioned.

Of course the servos plug into the correct connectors on the OrangeRX radio you see there.

The two servos are the new Hobby King HK15178 $1.69 servos. They work great, fast, precisely centering and without a glitch, just like $15.00 servos. Or like the $35 servos this guy bought. (at least his a are digital. I remember when just about ANY servos were $35.00) You can even buy gear sets for them, but why would you? The OrangeRX is $7.95 when it's not on sale cheaper. Same deal: it thinks it works for Horizon Hobbies. It's been flawless.

Some people sneer at $1.69 servos and $7.95 receivers. It's a free world. Sneering messes up their facial muscles, not mine. I'm smiling!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
For a new rx in the sc you would need purchase and use an esc to plug into the new rx for the stock sc uses an integrated rx/esc
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Thanks Hank I have often wondered if that was the case. No one at the HS seemed to know for sure, beginning to think I was crazy. Since I intend to put a new Rx into "Flirting With Disaster", my orginal SC so it can be utilized with my dx61
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Wow! Photobucket is having a fight with Firefox 5 and Photobucket is winning! The links just won't work properly. Google Chrome to the rescue.

Ok, here's the exploded view of all the electrical components in a Slow Stick, which is a cutaway diagram that flies.

From the front (on the right) and working back we have the brushless motor. It has three wires coming from it to bullet connectors to connect to the three wires from the electronic speed control, which have matching bullet connectors. These wires are all the same color, so there is no way to connect these up in any special way. They all work. However, your motor MIGHT run backwards. If it does reversing any two connections will fix that.

On the back side of the ESC you have a long flat wire harness with a servo connector on it. That goes to the throttle slot on your radio. That is how the radio tells the ESC how fast to run the motor. It's also the data link on my data logging Super Brain ESC but that's another story.

Also coming out the back side of the ESC there are two large diameter wires, red and black which are soldiered into my favorite type of battery connector, the Horizon Hobby EC3 connector. These are VERY easy to soldier and carry amperage VERY well. They're also dirt cheap. I don't see any reason to even consider anything else. Whatever kind of connector you choose, if you use the same kind on all your models you can use all your batteries for all your planes, so long as the cell count is within reason. I wouldn't try the 1300 mAh Rhino in the photo in a Vapor. Might not get off the ground....

You see the red and black wires from the battery going into the matching EC3 connector. There's only one place that can go! It connects to the two battery wires coming from the back side of the ESC. The radio gets its power through the throttle wire, already mentioned.

Of course the servos plug into the correct connectors on the OrangeRX radio you see there.

The two servos are the new Hobby King HK15178 $1.69 servos. They work great, fast, precisely centering and without a glitch, just like $15.00 servos. Or like the $35 servos this guy bought. (at least his a are digital. I remember when just about ANY servos were $35.00) You can even buy gear sets for them, but why would you? The OrangeRX is $7.95 when it's not on sale cheaper. Same deal: it thinks it works for Horizon Hobbies. It's been flawless.

Some people sneer at $1.69 servos and $7.95 receivers. It's a free world. Sneering messes up their facial muscles, not mine. I'm smiling!

I Think I get it. Pictures are so cool. So the Lipo is hooked up to the esc and that esc inturn provides power to the Rx and through out the system?? I hope I asked that correct.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:38 PM
M@!

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I Think I get it. Pictures are so cool. So the Lipo is hooked up to the esc and that esc inturn provides power to the Rx and through out the system?? I hope I asked that correct.
You are correct!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Fishbonez, you are our grand prize winner today! So Flirting is going to endure an electronics rebuild. I'll be standing by for notice of your success! Love your videos. They really do show the obstacles in learning to fly and that persistence wins the encounter. If I were deciding whether to get involved in the hobby your videos would convince me that I could succeed.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Yes she will be and I am planning a build of my own from scratch and junk around a little experiment one might say. I wont say what it is right now because I have yet to figure all that out but once I do I am sure I will have all kinds of goofy questions to ask
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 PM
TopSpin

All good but beware the Orange receivers. wo members of my club bought these and both had fatal lockups. One was in a Mini Pulse and the other in a SIG Rascal. The Rascal was a total loss the mini pulse was almost a loss but repairable.

For safety's sake I would not use a non Spektrum receiver even though they are a lot less expensive. The bright side is they are cheaper than Futaba FASST receivers.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

For every tale of OrangeRX lockup there are five to ten for Spektrum lockup. Brownouts are not caused by the radio. They are caused by inadequate power supplies, especially when driving three servos plus, which pull the radio's supplied voltage below 3 volts and cause the radio to stop functioning.

I've tested the OrangeRX at three volts per cell and it flies great then. If I disconnect the power and reconnect it the radio rebinds in a fraction of a second. If you were flying the only way you'd know it would be the flashing light.

People who have an insufficient BEC in their electronic speed controls are trashing the reputations of good radios. Normally Spektrum is the target du jour, but here it's the OrangeRX getting beat up. Ignorance ain't pretty!

The solution is to check your electronic speed control. Is the battery elimination circuit three amps or less? Is it a switching BEC? If it is 3 amps or less and/or not a switching type you have all the ingredients of a brownout. But don't worry about it, you can ALWAYS blame the radio.

No I am not afraid to share the room with a strong opinion.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 AM
wolfewinde

I have had good luck with the orange receivers too. Have those in about 6 planes - no trouble so far in a 100 flights or so combined.

I use AR600 Spektrum in a couple of my better airplanes - no trouble with those either

The DX6I is a good radio - GRATS

Wolfe
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 AM
TopSpin

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
For every tale of OrangeRX lockup there are five to ten for Spektrum lockup. Brownouts are not caused by the radio. They are caused by inadequate power supplies, especially when driving three servos plus, which pull the radio's supplied voltage below 3 volts and cause the radio to stop functioning.

I've tested the OrangeRX at three volts per cell and it flies great then. If I disconnect the power and reconnect it the radio rebinds in a fraction of a second. If you were flying the only way you'd know it would be the flashing light.

People who have an insufficient BEC in their electronic speed controls are trashing the reputations of good radios. Normally Spektrum is the target du jour, but here it's the OrangeRX getting beat up. Ignorance ain't pretty!

The solution is to check your electronic speed control. Is the battery elimination circuit three amps or less? Is it a switching BEC? If it is 3 amps or less and/or not a switching type you have all the ingredients of a brownout. But don't worry about it, you can ALWAYS blame the radio.

No I am not afraid to share the room with a strong opinion.
I was there when the Rascal locked. It was no more thatn 30 yards away at 50 feet in the clear and was not improperly mounted. All control was completly lost. It flew into a tree and was totaled. I have been flying Spektrum since they first cam on the market and have never had a single problem. Everyone at my club flys them and no one has ever had a problem with a Spectrum receiver. That's a lot of flight time in many very different airframes. I sure would like to know
(For every tale of OrangeRX lockup there are five to ten for Spektrum lockup.)
where this comes from cause I sure haven't seen it.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Sorry... i need to stick my 2 cents in here because i own 12 Orange Rx recievers and i have never had a problem with any of them. In fact, i have flown my planes almost out of site both vertically and horizotally and never lost connection.

HOWEVER... there is a difference between an Orange Rx "brand" and the Orange Rx "clone"... or for better words knockoff.

This is the Brand name rx: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And this is the knockoff: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11972

It's obvious to some, but not to others... there are other look alikes as well... but i'll stop here. Point is, there is nothing wrong with the Orange Rx recievers... they are not clones, they are compatible.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM
jensheydel

Hi thought I might chime in here as well, I have a DSX6i as well and have good experiences with it. I did however rearrange my switches to be more suitable for the way I fly but that is a preference I have. The Tx has thus far never had any issues though it pays to read the owners manual as there are some things that do require a bit of understanding as far as programming goes. I have seen a variety of non Spektrum recievers around but have not ordered any ... I prefer having a warranty and besides I invest alot of time in my models, no need to risk it with Brand Unknown parts. It costs more and ofcourse I can understand a need and desire to save some money but I would rather build one less model than take one more chance. These Brand Unknown bits and pieces have frustrated me often enough ... sure it costs less but having dealt with cheap servos or recievers etc. it does not pay out at the end when the model is affected by lower quality parts. I am not taking a risk with a machine I spent weeks at times building only to watch it flop to the ground and end up a heap of rubble because I "saved" a few Euros (I live in Europe), my piloting skills are risk enough for me. But it is up to you :-)

Jens
Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Simon

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
HOWEVER... there is a difference between an Orange Rx "brand" and the Orange Rx "clone"... or for better words knockoff.

This is the Brand name rx: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And this is the knockoff: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11972
With respect, what a load of utter rubbish!
Did you have a close look at those photos my friend? The first one is a 6ch with satellite-port. The second is a 5 channel ultra-light version.

If you take the time to look a little more closely, you may notice a stunning co-incidence between your ebay link and this item .

Two difference I will point out - (1) HobbyKing wants $5.99 for them, yet this "spacetechnology" user on ebay wants $14.88 for them. On one hand, the ebay item has free shipping, yet on the other hand - I can buy 5 of them delivered from Hong Kong to australia for $29.95 + $5.99 shipping

Ebay: 5 x OrangeRx -- $74.40
HKing: 5 x OrangeRX + Shipping -- $35.94

Not really much of a comparison.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
With respect, what a load of utter rubbish!
Did you have a close look at those photos my friend? The first one is a 6ch with satellite-port. The second is a 5 channel ultra-light version.

If you take the time to look a little more closely, you may notice a stunning co-incidence between your ebay link and this item .

Two difference I will point out - (1) HobbyKing wants $5.99 for them, yet this "spacetechnology" user on ebay wants $14.88 for them. On one hand, the ebay item has free shipping, yet on the other hand - I can buy 5 of them delivered from Hong Kong to australia for $29.95 + $5.99 shipping

Ebay: 5 x OrangeRx -- $74.40
HKing: 5 x OrangeRX + Shipping -- $35.94

Not really much of a comparison.
Um, excactly what is your point??? I wasn't trying to compare prices, i was comparing recievers. I have ordered that $5.99 rx from HK, only what i got was not the same as pictured so never used it in my planes! So did HK once sell the real deal but now reverted to selling knockoffs? Did the guy on ebay take HK's photo and photoshop out their logo although he ships what is in the photo? I was going to get into a long debate with you but that's just not my style... you are obviously sharper and smarter than me when it comes to spotting a fake.

so as a reward for outsmarting me... i will let you in on sweet deal http://www.rcmodelpart.com/product.php?id_product=875... enjoy "my friend"
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Simon

Thumbs up

Goodness almighty, the tone of my last post _is_ rather severe..

My point was that the receivers you linked to are different products from the same manufacturer. I'm yet to read a single claim other than yours that there are knock-off OrangRx's floating about.

:chuckles: Nope, no need for any gimp or photoshop action. Have a closer look - on the HK site, there are two images layered one-atop the other. There's the photograph itself and there's the "PRICE REFUND GUARANTEE" decal applied over the top in the top-left corner.

[media]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/ORNG6.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/images/prg.png[/media]

I'm sorry to hear that you got dudded when you ordered the 6-ch rxs. I note that in the 70 reviews of the product at HK, there is one instance of somebody claiming to have been delivered something other than what was ordered - somewhere in the order of 1.4% of the reviews. You could do worse than to add your own review, stating the problem you had. With such a small number of reported problems to date your report is significant, statistically speaking.

As for the gift, cheers! However, think I'll pass on that one thanks mate. It's roughly 1/3 of the price that spektrum is asking :nothing-suss:
If you have a close look at AR6100 / knock-off receivers, you'll notice thaqt there are two styles of bind-plug (the printed sticker varies) One of them is original, the other is the DSM2 compatible one. Given also that they are a dime-a-dozen for templates that can be printed onto photo-paper before being folded into a snazzy-looking case, I'm unable to trust that particular deal...
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
TopSpin

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Goodness almighty, the tone of my last post _is_ rather severe..

My point was that the receivers you linked to are different products from the same manufacturer. I'm yet to read a single claim other than yours that there are knock-off OrangRx's floating about.

:chuckles: Nope, no need for any gimp or photoshop action. Have a closer look - on the HK site, there are two images layered one-atop the other. There's the photograph itself and there's the "PRICE REFUND GUARANTEE" decal applied over the top in the top-left corner.

[media]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/ORNG6.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/images/prg.png[/media]

I'm sorry to hear that you got dudded when you ordered the 6-ch rxs. I note that in the 70 reviews of the product at HK, there is one instance of somebody claiming to have been delivered something other than what was ordered - somewhere in the order of 1.4% of the reviews. You could do worse than to add your own review, stating the problem you had. With such a small number of reported problems to date your report is significant, statistically speaking.

As for the gift, cheers! However, think I'll pass on that one thanks mate. It's roughly 1/3 of the price that spektrum is asking :nothing-suss:
If you have a close look at AR6100 / knock-off receivers, you'll notice thaqt there are two styles of bind-plug (the printed sticker varies) One of them is original, the other is the DSM2 compatible one. Given also that they are a dime-a-dozen for templates that can be printed onto photo-paper before being folded into a snazzy-looking case, I'm unable to trust that particular deal...
Thanks for the suggestion though.
I think you may have misunderstood. The Clone he refers to is one that is supposed to be compatible with DSM2/DSMX format. These are the ones that are dicey to say the least. The standard Orange 2.4 GHZ receiver that is compatible with the HK T9X transmitter, or whaever it is, is fine when used with that transmitter.

But I have to agree with Jens post that it just does not pay to buy cheap junk. If you care about your aircraft and want them to last then it makes sense to buy brand name components with a track record of reliability. Right now Hobby King does not enjoy a reputation for reliability, only cheap prices that with added shipping costs become not so cheap.

Your choice.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:11 PM
M@!

Let's not forget there was a bad batch of Orange/Clone receivers. They would lose their bind everytime the battery was unplugged. From what I found on the interwebs a chip was put on backwards.

I recently purchased two Non-orange clones for RC-groups. One worked great and one lost its bind. I tossed the bad one and the other one has worked great. Of course I am flying a Slofly 22" that cost less that $100 for the entire setup. I might be a little more leary using a knock-off in something more expensive.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I have no reservations in using my OrangeRX 6-channel receiver in any plane. Good point about the bad batch a year or so ago. That muddied the waters, but subsequent batches have been trouble free. Spektrum has also had bad batches, most notably of the DX6i transmitter. A brand name is no defense against poor products.

All radios have a threshold voltage below which they will not function. Your ESC is the device which supplies that voltage to the radio. If your radio "browns out" there is only one place to look.

Now a momentary brown out should not be a problem The radio should rebind almost instantaneously and your plane virtually unaffected. Unfortunately, for quite a long time, Spektrum receivers took several seconds to rebind, long enough to crash most anything. Google "Spektrum crash" and you'll find hundreds of anti DSM2 reports detailing exactly this problem. Alleged Spektrum defects have been the subject of many a thread here on Wattflyer. OrangeRX defect threads have been much fewer and confined to the bad batch. Mostly what we have are people who have never personally tried them denouncing them as cheap junk. Cheap yes/junk NO! OrangeRX receivers rebound almost instantaneously when Spektrum still took a few seconds.

Even with the Spektrum equipment that took too long to rebind, crashing the models, the trigger event was voltage drawdown by servos overpowering the electronic speed control's battery elimination circuit. A 2A BEC subjected to a 3A load will brown out the radio. There's no escaping that with any brand of radio.

Newer Spektrum and the OrangeRX receivers all rebind within a half second, mostly quicker. That's darned reasonable. However, if the load on the BEC remains higher than its capacity, voltage is NOT restored to the radio. The radio does NOT rebind and the model flies as an unguided cruise missile. This is true with any radio of any type. They need power to operate. If they don't get the necessary power bad events transpire quickly and violently.

The solution is a separate 3A or more switchable UBEC, a separate component you can purchase for a very reasonable price. It's very light and will fit in just about any aircraft. People using them do not have brownouts with any kind of receiver.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 PM
M@!

What you are saying all makes a lot of sense to me. I searched last night on failures and this is the first thread I found. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410024

Seems like the poster was powering a lot of equipment.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Electricity bites sometimes! IC guys don't power their radios from their fuel tank like we do.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
dkrhardy

I ordered several 6ch "orange" rcvrs from HK and got the ones that are offered on ebay. They are good hard cased with the port on the side. NOT the board with shrink wrap that is shown in the one post. I think the ebay seller is buying a bunch of HK rcvrs and reselling at double price. Like it or not, both are "clones" of Spektrum technology. BTW, knock on wood, I've had no problems.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 PM
M@!

I just wish I could get these things for cost!

ORNG62OrangeRx Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver (w/ Sat Port)$2.10ea
Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM
electromon

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
All good but beware the Orange receivers. wo members of my club bought these and both had fatal lockups. One was in a Mini Pulse and the other in a SIG Rascal. The Rascal was a total loss the mini pulse was almost a loss but repairable.

For safety's sake I would not use a non Spektrum receiver even though they are a lot less expensive. The bright side is they are cheaper than Futaba FASST receivers.
We have many orange and other HK receivers being used without a single failure. Many times the pilot blames the equipment for the crash

Quick Reply: Dx61 questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14416 seconds with 11 queries