Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Hobby Lobby A-7

Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Default Hobby Lobby A-7

I'm going to mark this one on my list of "Brilliant, But Cancelled."

Bought it on last week's HL Crash sale, got it Monday, flew it Tuesday.

While waiting I did a bit of research and saw a lot of "weak foam at the intake," and "three step heave" from people getting it to fly.

It went together in about an hour and a half. The only shortcoming I found was that the canopy was a little too wide for the fuselage. I used careful heat to bring the sides of the canopy in a little so the magnets would engage.

I had a friend launch it for me for the maiden. It practically flew out of his hand, and goes like STINK on the included 4S pack. Cruises at 1/2 throttle easily, and will probably fly with less. I flew about 4 minutes on the pack, and landed. Pack was "room temperature."

IMHO this was one heck of a buy.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I so wanted to get one of those during the crash sale, but my funds are limited due to cutbacks at work. Sucks now that they won't be available at all anymore. I saw one fly at SuperFly VII in Las Vegas last October and was very impressed.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Love the A-7 been eying that - likely good I didn't see it on the crash sale. I am downsizing! Or trying....or that is what I am telling my wife.

Mike
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Mike, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the crash sale prices are still good. You can pick up this bird for $160, add your Tx and Rx, and be flying within a couple of hours: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/a-7_corsair_ii_arf_rc_jet_airplane_3999_prd1.htm?pSe archQueryId=85906

If you can manage to find a coupon to add on top of that, you'll REALLY have an awesome deal! I wonder if any coupons will come out before they're all sold out. I had a $10 off one from SEFF, but it expired July 1st.

If you like good-sized EDF's that perform above par on stock power, don't break the bank, and aren't your run-of-the-mill-overmodeled-models, then this is a no-brainer at the current price. You won't regret it if you get one! Once they're gone, I'd imagine you could still get them from some other places overseas without much trouble, but probably not for $160 + $8.99 shipping!

I picked one up for $100 at their sidewalk sale that had some minor damage that I got fixed up pretty easily. Just a couple of minor dents left now that I would have regardess of it being secondhand or not after a few flights.

I had read a bunch about people upgrading this setup just like the other 70mm birds out there, but I decided to stick with the stock system and see how it flew. Holy schmoly! Plenty enjoyable for me! The bird looks absolutely sick a couple of feet off the deck, and when I fly out past the edge of our mowed area of the club field, the small bushes and trees combined with the high grass make the perfect scale backdrop for cruising over the jungles and woodlands in my mind. Just awesome, and sounds nice, too.

Sadly, I've only had one flight on this bird. She glided longer than I anticipated and came in kinda hot, and when I sat her down, she hit one of the larger rocks to the side of the grass strip. The rock doesn't protrude up ... just a hard bumpy area amongst the grass strip ... but it was enough to take a small chunk out of the intake lip. So I'm not flying her again until I can get some foam in to fill that chunk and silk the bottom. I found the chunk that came out, but I lost it at some point when cleaning up the guest room in our house and moving stuff around.

I'm tempted to silk the whole thing and give it a nice camo paint scheme.

Next up (aside from silking) is to add a cheater hole. Lots and lots of positive results coming in from folks after adding one to theirs, and they say it's all but unnoticeable in flight.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yea the phase 3 F-16 will likely get it - 110 shipped from eBay! But I like A-7's better....

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

And to make it even more tempting, they also still have the airframe-only version for $100:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/a7_corsai...21651_prd1.htm

Hmm, an RCLander 70mm 3S setup with a 3S 3300. I bet that baby would scoot!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I've been flying my stock A-7 since about last November. It's a great flying EDF!

A couple of worthwhile mods:

1) as Dave noted, the intake is kind of fragile. HobbyPeople.net sells an inlet protector for the Phase3 F-16 that is a near perfect fit. Just a little trimming around the edges and it goes right on.

2) if you can program flapperons, do it! Increase the up eleveator throw while you are at it so you can keep the nose up at slow speed. Landings are so easy with the flaps down!

3) if you can bear to do it, cut a cheater hole in the bottom a few inches in front of the fan. Cut it at a backwards angle because the foam is very thick there. Hand launches are even easier with the cheater, and climbing performance is really impressive! Loops are big without the hole, but huge-gantic with the extra thrust the cheater provides