RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Alternate suppliers of 2.4G receivers

Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 PM
bluemax
Michigan Flyer

Default Alternate suppliers of 2.4G receivers

Are there any other suppliers of the 2.4G receivers for the Spektrum or Futaba transmitters or do you have to buy from them? They seem kind of expensive, so I'm not sure I want to make the switch.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

At the present time, I don't believe there are any other suppliers of the receivers, other that the OEM. My guess, is that it probably be a while before someone else steps up to the plate, sticks out their neck and produces them.

Each 2.4 system uses slightly different methods of operation, so the receivers are different. Until a manufacturer figures out a way to make one receiver that will cover the different systems, I don't expect anyone to step up.

The 2.4 receivers don't cost much more than those in the 72 MgHz range made by the OEMs. However, there are lots of cheaper receivers on the 72 MgHz market made by after market suppliers.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
bluemax
Michigan Flyer

Thanks, Maybe I'll wait a while to make the jump. The difference between $30 receivers and $50 receivers gets fairly steep for multiple planes.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Tony Oliver

Default Other 2.4 receivers

It will only be a short time before we get inundated with cheaper receivers etc. Until then (and preferably after the more adventurous have found out which are reliable and worthwhile and which are not) we need to look more carefully at out requirements.

At the moment it is necessary to look at what you need for a particular model. If you are only using the four basic controls or less, why buy a 6, 7 or 9 channel receiver?

I've just got two of the AR500 receivers for my Spektrum outfit. Full range and equally at home in aircraft or boats. One short and one long aerial makes it easy to install in small, medium or large models. They are selling fast so there are quite a few people doing exactly what I am.

I've found no problem in moving them from one model to another. I have short extension leads attached and named which avoids constant plugging into the delicate receiver sockets. The rx can be attached to velcro in the model.

Eventually I will probably have one rx per model, but I have no great need to replace them all at one time.

Cheap? I like cheap.

Last edited by Tony Oliver; 09-28-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM
BEC
Bernard Cawley

It's like PCM - each maker has a different coding scheme (never mind the different approaches to "spread spectrum") so third party receivers will be difficult. About the only hope I have that someone like Berg or even Hitec will make third party receivers for 2.4GHz is that the market seems to be exploding so soon (if not already) the market for replacement receivers will be much bigger than it ever was for PCM.

In the meantime as people move away from the older bands that leaves more room for me.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Sam_K

I don't know for certain, but I would assume that there are patents for the DSM/DSM2 (Spektrum/JR)and FASST (Futaba) systems that would prevent competitors from making and selling compatible receivers full stop. I would expect that, for the forseeable future, you will only be able to buy DSM compatible receivers from Spektrum/JR and FASST compatible receivers from Futaba.

The only thing that will force the prices down is the success of competing (but not compatible) 2.4g systems, such as Airtronics, Assan, etc. If a competing 2.4g system is getting a lot of 2.4g sales cos it offers the same features at less price, then Spektrum/JR/Futaba will have to respond.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:28 PM
bluemax
Michigan Flyer

Yes your probably right. It just seems like they have been out a while and I thought the price would start to come down.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM
simibill
General Factotum

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail....cps61206_61411
Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Bobby M.
Watt the @#%&!

Try Todd's models.
http://www.toddsmodels.com/Spektrum_Receivers_s/85.htm

I bought a few of the $39 ones to try on my 32" planes. Haven't been able to try them out yet, but hopefully this Saturday I'll heve the weather to play.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 AM
jlaffin

So a Spektrum DX6i won't work with a Futaba receiver. Is this correct? I was wondering about this possibility, but it sounds like they are two different systems.

Julian
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by jlaffin View Post
So a Spektrum DX6i won't work with a Futaba receiver. Is this correct? I was wondering about this possibility, but it sounds like they are two different systems.

Julian
Julian, you are correctl