Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2
Friends: (0)
Default Lancaster Bomber from HobbyKing

After seeing the new UM Parkzone Spitfire, I started project-planning a compatible-scaled foamy scratch-built Lancaster.
At same scale, it would work out around 48" span and quite expensive for parts.

Then I found the new HobbyKing Lanc'... the same size as I planned to build - but a much better model than I could've hoped to achieve, myself - without the hassle of building it or sourcing the parts.
In fact, at 114 (converted from USD) is much cheaper than I couldve built it for, too.

Admittedly, the camouflage colours don't look quite right - but nothing a sympathetic re-spray couldnt cure.
There's another video, showing the (white) prototype before painting.
At that stage, they quoted 9 servos but the production model on shop website, is stated as having 7.

Without working rudders, it might be fun landing, although it has a steerable tail wheel & contra-rotating props, so maybe thrust-induced drift wont be an issue for takeoffs.
Electric scale retracts, sequenced gear doors, working bomb bay doors, working bomb-drop, 2620/1100kV motors, scale 3-bladed props, running from a common 3S 2200 LiPo.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22071

I suspect this will be a popular item, although I have my reservations, based on adverse stories of HK quality and customer service issues...
I'm tempted to order one but my cautious side is telling me to wait and see if another supplier (maybe Horizon or FMS) will offer something similar & possibly better.

Would love to get my hands on one to try it though !
At what is effectively a 'micro' scale (despite its size), it would be fun to fly this in formation with UM warbirds like the Spitfire.

Has anyone had a chance to see or fly one of these yet?

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

I will admit their customer service is not the greatest, but if you are persistent, they will come around.

I would not worry much about the plane. most if not all injected foam planes are made in China. I wish I could remember the exact model, but I have seen the same plane, one from HK and one from another company, the only difference was the paint job and the price, the other companies was about 50% more.

I have bought many things from HobbyKing, and have been pleased with all of them.
I have also bought a fancy European built glider from Soaring USA, and snapped the wing on the 5th flight. I wish there had been some information that the main carbon fiber spar, had only 0.3 mm thick walls.

Buy it and check it out carefully, and fix things you don't like.
A trick of mine to increase the strength of a foam plane, is to take a new blade and make a cut in the weak area about 5 mm deep, then push a carbon fiber strip into it. I use a 3 mm x 0.5 mm piece. Then use foam safe thin CA glue and let it flow down the cut which will glue the carbon and seal the cut. Do it carefully and it is hard to see.

I love to build, but when I see a plane like this, I can't help my self. I will order one of these in the future.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Wow too cool a Lancaster. Too bad it is HobbyKing....
Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Sold out literally as it hit stock .....

Total cost to me (Latvia) is $240 incl. shipping ... all I need is to fit is radio and lipo.

I would have preferred a plain white base model ... and gloss is not really a Lancs style. I could then paint up as i want.

Definite conversation piece on the flight line .............

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Oh Baby,

Getting close. I've said for a long time as soon as a B-24 Lib hit the market, I'd be first in line to buy one. The Avro Lanc is a pretty close cousin. I think Consolidated Aircraft may have even copied her.

My Dad flew the Lib with the 93rd Bombardment group based near Manchester with a short stint in N. Africa. Of course, the B-17 won all of the attention because the US press were too lazy to head north from London. There were actually more Libs made than B-17's.

Haven't looked at all the specs yet but for USD $200, the Lanc looks like a "can't go wrong" kind of deal. It will be a while before the US warehouse gets them.

Can't wait to see one fly !

-Hawk
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

Had an email from HK this week, saying they've got 64 in stock.
Hopefully these will be updated version, since a lot of people had significant quality issues with the original batch.
Wings bent, parts broken, ESC's frying, motors surging, stalled servos, dead rx batteries, etc
I hear there's an improved polystyrene box, to reduce damage in transit, this time.
This is such a great looking plane, I'm itching to buy one - but I cant bring myself to hit 'pay', after reading the experiences of many disappointed early owners.
ARTF should eliminate most of the hassles associated with building, not present the buyer with a bunch of new ones.
I know HK are cheap - but I havent got sufficient confidence in their quality control, to part with cash until these teething troubles are sorted.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I am also hanging back ... I have heard tales of the foam not being so good either and very easily damaged.

I want one though ... and will want to scrub it to repaint in memory of my Mum who ran a maintenance crew on Lancs in WW2 ...

Fingers crossed they iron out the initial niggles.

I keep looking online at various planes and Lanc is there pleading with me to hit PAY !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I've been following the thread for a while over on RCG. Looks like they are finally getting the bugs worked out. The new version seems to be with less issues. A lot of not so happy campers early on. Wish they would come out with the B-24 Lib. My Dad was a crew chief stationed near Manchester and then N. Africa and back -93rd Bombarbardment Group -Ted Timberlakes' Flying Circus. Far more Libs built than any other bomber in the war including the B-17.

Gorgeous plane the Lanc is and an important one in history. Meanwhile, I just maidened the DH-88 Comet from Durafly. Flies great. Scale like retracts, counter rotating props. Red. That's two British heritage airplanes in my hangar.

-Hawk
Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Voltron

Friends: (2)

I never paid much attention to Lancasters until I saw one at an airshow years ago. It was love at first sight. Since then I've learned quite a bit about them and their contribution to the war effort. They carried the heaviest bomb ( called the Grand Slam) of any bomber in WWII and also dropped the barrel shaped Dambuster bombs that were use to take out German hydroelectric dams. After the war many of them were converted into commercial airliners and renamed Lancastrians. They were also used to test some of the early turboprop engines. Not all Lancasters were built in the UK. Avro also had a plant building them in Toronto Canada.

Just my two cents for anyone who cares.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I never paid much attention to Lancasters until I saw one at an airshow years ago. It was love at first sight. Since then I've learned quite a bit about them and their contribution to the war effort. They carried the heaviest bomb ( called the Grand Slam) of any bomber in WWII and also dropped the barrel shaped Dambuster bombs that were use to take out German hydroelectric dams. After the war many of them were converted into commercial airliners and renamed Lancastrians. They were also used to test some of the early turboprop engines. Not all Lancasters were built in the UK. Avro also had a plant building them in Toronto Canada.

Just my two cents for anyone who cares.
Who Cares ? ...

My Mum is in that group photo in front of the Lanc they used to service during the War.

The top photo, (these are photos from her Scrapbook passed to me when she passed away) is of Dickie Dickinson .. and his crew ... a name held high in WW2 RAF history.

My Mother lost the photo she had taken with Guy Gibson - the Commander of the Dambusters raid ...

I for one care and thank people who flew them and people like my Mum who kept them flying. Lets be honest - they gave up their young years instead of being boys and girls growing into adults.

The verses here as spoken at each remembrance says it all ...

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

The Lancaster has become a symbol to Brits along with the Spitfire and Hurricane. The defiance of a small island race.... against impossible odds.

But it is to be said that there were far more Wellington Bombers built than Lancasters, but the Lanc caught the limelight because of its size, raids it carried and ability to carry such large bombs.

Apologies to all for the sad note.

Nigel

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

No apologies needed Nigel,

That entire generation still is and was "The Greatest Generation" in my opinion. Thinking about WW-2 and all the history shows I watch almost daily, it's so profound how a small Island Nation like GB went about daily survival under the constant siege of air raids. Basically were "going it alone" for two years before we entered the scene. All the sacrafices everyone had to make, and the engenuity it took to out smart the Germans at each critical phase.

We should never take for granted the game changing inventions like Radar, the Merlin engine and the heavy duty night bomber, the Avro Lanc. The great industrial innovators like Rolls Royce, Vickers, etc. Awesome. Then followed on in huge numbers by all the "Rosie the Riveters" who worked at places like Consolidated, North American, General Motors, Boeing, Ford, etc. to pump out war machinery in massive quantitiies.

Indeed , your Mother was a war hero!

Great stuff guys ! Very touching.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

/* Oops. Wrong planet. */

Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Who Cares ? ...

My Mum is in that group photo in front of the Lanc they used to service during the War.

The top photo, (these are photos from her Scrapbook passed to me when she passed away) is of Dickie Dickinson .. and his crew ... a name held high in WW2 RAF history.

My Mother lost the photo she had taken with Guy Gibson - the Commander of the Dambusters raid ...

I for one care and thank people who flew them and people like my Mum who kept them flying. Lets be honest - they gave up their young years instead of being boys and girls growing into adults.

The verses here as spoken at each remembrance says it all ...

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

The Lancaster has become a symbol to Brits along with the Spitfire and Hurricane. The defiance of a small island race.... against impossible odds.

But it is to be said that there were far more Wellington Bombers built than Lancasters, but the Lanc caught the limelight because of its size, raids it carried and ability to carry such large bombs.

Apologies to all for the sad note.

Nigel
My family has a history in bombers as my uncle was a belly turret gunner in b-17's Nigel .He is gone now also but his story's still remain in me as i could not get enough of them when i was 6 or 7 years old.I have other balsa scratch builds going on this winter but i can see a Lancaster scratch build down the road for me . . My 99 wing span short solent is still flying great and another four engine plane gets easyer to build after a couple of them.lol joe
Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

King,

Would love to see your 99 short solent ! That's a hoss!

I was thinking about building the B-24 Lib this winter. Not too many out there since Jack Stafford passed on. Not any ARF's anyway unless HK makes one some day.

Looking at a kit : http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=139

Starts at ~ $150.00 Ends at over $600.00 by the time I'm done. 62" WS. ~ 4 # AUW, Would probably take me all winter to build if I spent time on it.

Could go out and buy a Lanc ARF but one more British plane and my buddies are going to start calling me " Benedict Arnold" - LOL

-Hawk
Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Here she is .lol i love to show her off after a year of building her. BTW Ivan sells plans for a 103 inch wingspan avro lancaster here http://www.ivansplans.com/ I got my solent 480 plans from him and i bought his twin otter plans and the bigger albatross plans he sells. joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	161738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0216.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	161739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7017.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	161740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	161741   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-MVC-011S.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	161742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-MVC-012S.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	161743   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-MVC-017S.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	161744  
Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Road King,

Thanks for posting ! Am reading through Ivan's site and it's truly awe inspiring. What a talent !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #17
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Road King,

Thanks for posting ! Am reading through Ivan's site and it's truly awe inspiring. What a talent !

Cheers,

Hawk
After building one of Ivans very light desighns i would not pay money for any other plans .Ivan is in his 80's and has almost a cult folowing around the world .If you look at the weights of his electrict planes and their wing loadings you can see why they fly so well. If you need prices from Ivan you email him and it might take a bit for him to get back to you but he always does . He was a great help when framing my solent and would reply to me every time when i had any problems. He is a great builder and desighner plus he still fly's the wings off of every thing he sells. If you follow the links to luke z's build threads and videos you can see the master himself flying his short solent 480 . Iam on lukes wall of fame for building the solent and its maiden in oak forest IL and i did my build thread here on wattflyers a couple years ago. joe
Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

Here's the Lanc thread over on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12793&page=129

Hawk
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
My family has a history in bombers as my uncle was a belly turret gunner in b-17's Nigel .He is gone now also but his story's still remain in me as i could not get enough of them when i was 6 or 7 years old.I have other balsa scratch builds going on this winter but i can see a Lancaster scratch build down the road for me . . My 99 wing span short solent is still flying great and another four engine plane gets easyer to build after a couple of them.lol joe
My Father flew Wellingtons mostly but also Coastal Command in leased Liberators / Stirlings etc.

After the war along with many others - went on the Berlin Airlift - keeping West Berlin alive despite the Soviet blockade. It's where he became close friend of Sir Freddie Laker. Anyway another guy there - Don - went on to create a supply company for movies ... WW2 planes, cars, etc.

My Father having joined DTI / CAA (British governing body over British Aviation), was approached by Don to help him with a contract. My father took time away and helped a friend.

They flew to Canada and arrived at a little airfield where outside the Cafe was a still airworthy B17. Don had leased it to take back to UK. My Father was to be back in his war role as the navigator for the trip.

That B17 was the one used in the Steve McQueen movie - The Warlover.

I was a small kid at the time and Father took me on that B17 at Gatwick Airport UK .. and was filmed on its "display flight" before refueling for the trip back to Canada .....

My Father with the sextant on the trip over ...

At the nav-table they set up ..

Waiting for pick-up !

The actual B17 ....(sorry about the distortion - it's a clip photo from the 8mm cine film my father shot of the trip)

What I find incredible is that young girls and boys .. 18 .. 19 .. 20 yr old were accomplishing feats that were astonishing and with no g'tee of coming back. Americans, Brits ... lets not forget the Polish and others ..

I wear my Mothers wedding ring as a tribute to her and her kind.

Last ... my Mother is in the parade taking the Salute from "Bomber" Harris, CinC RAF Bomber Command ...

Nigel

Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

Here's the Lanc thread over on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12793&page=129

Hawk
Hi Hawk ... I know the thread - but it got so long I started to lose interest in reading it through. That's trouble - interesting threads get so long and then you start not reading them ... you get further and further behind. It's only on such as 50mm and PKJ threads where I am major poster that I stay with such long ones !!

Cheers
Nigel

Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
startazz

Friends: (2)

Thanks for sharing all that great history of the lancs and your faimly Nigel as it made for some good reading.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #22
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default anyone know the manufacturer?

Apart from the usual HK diatribe, as they are only the distributor, does anyone have a link to the manufacturer? HK also sell the various B17's and b25's, and I was curious if they were all made by the same people. It would be good if you could buy just the bare airframe, and add quality gear and structural mods to make it better. Thats what I have done with the handfull of HK planes I have bought so far......
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm very annoyed .......... few months back when I checked shipping etc. for the HK Lanc .. it all showed as possible to ship to Latvia ... so I waited till time was better and I had the cash to buy ...........

Now i want to buy - shipping is refused to Latvia due to weight / size ... so what changed ?

I'll now search out a suitable plan and have to build one from scratch ... I thought about Tony Nieuhaus 1980's plan - but it's block foam etc. ... maybe possible to modify to laminated foam ?

Nigel

Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #24
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Nigel,
Do you have access to sheathing insulation in Latvia? The subfloor foam you posted might be a bit tedious to work with. Sheathing insulation would make a suitable material for a scratchbuild, such as the Lancaster. I'm pretty sure I saw a build of that very plane here on wattflyer a couple of years ago.

I've laminated foam blocks with decent success. I like a spray by Loctite called, "Spray Adhesive, High Performance, Middleweight Bonding." Long name, but I guess when you name your spray adhesive product, "Spray Adhesive," you have to elaborate.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

we have all sorts of sheet foam up to block ... so I can choose to create out of layered laminated foam sheet or from hot-wire / carved block.

My thoughts are to use sheet and create a fuselage / wing core and then sheet over similar to planking a balsa form. I can get 6mm + 3mm Depron as well as 5.5mm + 3mm sub-floor sheet as shown earlier.

When I made the SE5 wings by 5.5mm flat bottom sheet ... a spine of 5.5mm spanwise and then a 3mm sheet curved over the spine ... it came out surprisngly stiff ... with an aerofoil shape.
The spine would take bamboo skewers embedded easily for longer span ... so I reckon I can get away with that.

Ideas are already shaping up in my mind ........ but I will create a new thread as this is a thread for the HK Lanc ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics

Tags
bomber , lancaster , multi , scale , warbirds