Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #26
Rcplanes13

Friends: (0)

What trainer do you recommend?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #27
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

E-flite apprentice RTF. There are other options but I have moved past them and am not overly familiar. I do know some guys who have enjoyed great success learning on them.

FWIW I trained myself on a Hobyzone SuperCub RTF. Its about 20% less expensive than the apprentice and is defiantly a good trainer. I just see the apprentice as a great trainer.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #28
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Rcplanes13 View Post
What trainer do you recommend?
Depending on your actual fixed wing flight experience, most recommend a high wing (like a Cub or equal) either three channel (no ailerons) or simple 4 channel (rudder & ailerons) and a decent 2.4gHz 6 channel TX/RX system.........I like Spektrum and E-Flite stuff.....just my preference for beginners.

Stick with craft construction made of foam EPS, EPO or EPP......EPP would be my choice. Kind of rubbery, flexible and takes a lot of punishment, easy to repair.

Don't go out and lay down a lot of cash in the beginning (especially if you plan on flying that F4 in the future). Set a budget under $300.00 and you'll find many good options for both a craft and TX/RX....maybe even a decent RTF package by E-Flite.........under the 40" inch wing span.

Your choice of model is up to you......just keep it basic and stick with known properties that have a history of success.......
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #29
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

We don't know the condition of the radio gear at hand - but the FlySky if in working order is fine for a trainer ..... no need to flash out on another radio.

Really - the biggest factor to success is finding experienced flyers to learn with.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #30
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
We don't know the condition of the radio gear at hand - but the FlySky if in working order is fine for a trainer ..... no need to flash out on another radio.

Really - the biggest factor to success is finding experienced flyers to learn with.

Nigel
The FlySky TX version the OP posted would be fine (if in working order) for simple 4ch channel flight with a simple 4ch trainer.....however, having owned three different versions of that same TX over the years, they are not reliable and seldom remain in adjustment over the course of average use.

The programing of adjustments and custom capabilities are prehistoric and pain staking to say the least. The software is still a Beta Windows version that has long been outdated.......and will not function properly with Mac or anything newer than Windows 7.

The physical properties of the switches/slide levers and control sticks are third rate (at best) material and preciseness and feel degrades after about 30 hours of use.
The AFHDS/GFSK signal band projection has had historical range issues and intermittent power consumption failures are common.

I'm not the only one who has experienced those problems. There are at least 15 websites and 1000's of posts related to the older/newer FlySky FS-T6 models.........maybe 10% of those users were/are happy with it.

To state that "the FlySky if in working order is fine for a trainer".......especially for an inexperienced RC'er that is just starting to understand battery principals and just realizing one must "walk before we run".......well, adding a TX with known complications and reliability issues into the mix, is very poor advise to say the least.......unless, of course, the OP cares to learn the (hard way), the real difference between APOS and a decent modern reliable transmitter, which makes one of the biggest differences in the whole RC experience.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #31
Rcplanes13

What TX/RX system do you prefer then?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #32
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Rcplanes13 View Post
What TX/RX system do you prefer then?
Keeping in mind cost and your experience, Spektrum, FrySky, Hi Tech, Turnigy all make inexpensive, reliable, user friendly 6ch systems which have proven historical success and decent customer service (lots of helpful web-site info).

Also keep in mind, if you find that this hobby is going to stick, you'll want to grow a little. So a programmable (2.4gHz) 6ch radio will allow you to expand your horizon.

Best advise I can give is.........search the web, talk to knowledgeable local HS guys who are not trying to sell something and visit a local flying field. Take a look at what those guys are using.

Of course, all of this is subjective to your needs and availability.........really, since most modern equipment is pretty good, the choice lends itself to popularity and cost.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #33
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
The FlySky TX version the OP posted would be fine (if in working order) for simple 4ch channel flight with a simple 4ch trainer.....however, having owned three different versions of that same TX over the years, they are not reliable and seldom remain in adjustment over the course of average use.

The programing of adjustments and custom capabilities are prehistoric and pain staking to say the least. The software is still a Beta Windows version that has long been outdated.......and will not function properly with Mac or anything newer than Windows 7.

The physical properties of the switches/slide levers and control sticks are third rate (at best) material and preciseness and feel degrades after about 30 hours of use.
The AFHDS/GFSK signal band projection has had historical range issues and intermittent power consumption failures are common.

I'm not the only one who has experienced those problems. There are at least 15 websites and 1000's of posts related to the older/newer FlySky FS-T6 models.........maybe 10% of those users were/are happy with it.

To state that "the FlySky if in working order is fine for a trainer".......especially for an inexperienced RC'er that is just starting to understand battery principals and just realizing one must "walk before we run".......well, adding a TX with known complications and reliability issues into the mix, is very poor advise to say the least.......unless, of course, the OP cares to learn the (hard way), the real difference between APOS and a decent modern reliable transmitter, which makes one of the biggest differences in the whole RC experience.
Gospel according .....

In fact the FS-T6 in its B version uses same as 9x Vers 2 in stock form. The FS-T6 A version uses same as the 9x Vers 1 ....

I started ... I run ... the FlySky Owners Forum. I think the number of members of it and their information may just outnumber your quota .... by large margin.

The FS-T6 has been basis of quite a number of branded radios in fact ... you would be surprised just how far FlySky stretches in the market !

But I do agree that should OP wish to progress seriously - then a 500m radio such as the T6 is better replaced with a more programmable set. But for initial start - if the radio is working why change ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #34
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

With 2.4GHz the transmitter and receiver have to be the same brand, or at least 'compatible protocols'. For this reason if you were to get an Eflite Apprentice then you would have to get a Spektrum (or Spektrum compatible) transmitter. The Apprentice has a special Spektrum receiver with built in gyro stabilisation but the receiver only works with Spektrum.

There are pros and cons for various brands but Spektrum has the advantage of a very easy to use interface, availability from local dealers (no need to order from China!) excellent after sales service and a wide user base making it easy to get advice. If you get a DX6 or better you can also download setup files that will pre-set the transmitter to suit the Apprentice.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #35
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Gospel according .....

I started ... I run ... the FlySky Owners Forum. I think the number of members of it and their information may just outnumber your quota .... by large margin.

Nigel
Nigel.....I am aware of that. In fact, you and a handful of "pioneers" introduced many of us to the pit-falls of the FS-T6 long before FlySky ever did anything about their issues........The information provided and work-arounds were an immense help to many of us.........until other companies like Spektrum and FrySky saw the error of their (FlySky) ways, learned from FlySky and developed their own systems......to that end, all of you are to be commended...!

The only reason I ever continued with the FS-T6 was due to my extensive experience with early Windows software.......thinking that logic would overcome any of the FlySky issues.....However, the end did not justify the means, once realizing that cost associated with inferior electronics caused me more headaches and lost flying time that was better spent paying a few more dollars for advanced programming features and better material qualities......!

Yes, I learned the hard-way and to this day pass-on my experience with inferior electronics to anyone that will listen.......The TX/RX system one chooses will be either be the heaven they have been looking for, or the devil in the details they will regret........IMHO, It is the most important investment anyone can make towards a successful and pleasant RC experience.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #36
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Fun correlates inversely with the number of pieces your plane is in at the end of the flight. When the number of pieces approaches 100 you feel like this hobby's not for you. It's best to avoid days that end with more than 3 pieces or so.

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC
Old 06-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #37
formontoya

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
The TX/RX system one chooses will be either be the heaven they have been looking for, or the devil in the details they will regret........IMHO, It is the most important investment anyone can make towards a successful and pleasant RC experience.
I can agree w/this...my first radio had issues that were beyond my understanding when I first started. I knew I was not the best, but couldn't be that bad at flying...but it took some time to realize and troubleshoot the radio system and find out that it was inferior equipment causing a decent portion of my issues. I now run a make that has no issues (other than I just need to learn more) that will flake out on me and bring the craft down.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Old 06-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #38
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Fun correlates inversely with the number of pieces your plane is in at the end of the flight. When the number of pieces approaches 100 you feel like this hobby's not for you. It's best to avoid days that end with more than 3 pieces or so.
LOL Robbins........Since, in the beginning, I started out with heli's, the "pieces" count were always a very high number.....If you had the courage and knew (after a few dumb thumb results one could sort-out and learn from) that it wasn't the pilot anymore and the aircraft was built/set-up properly........electronics (TX/RX/ESC/SERVOS/GYRO) came down to be the most common culprits.

With fixed-wing, a whole lot less to sort........I finally came to my senses (about a year and half into heli's) when I used (what I thought) was my most reliable FlySky with a basic high-wing Cub, and quickly realized the damned system had bugs/gremlins that could not be eradicated without major programming re-sets and refinements........all because I had falsely convinced myself (at the time) that the FrySky was the way to the future......Boy was I mistaken....after switching to a Spekie, my hel's never suffered another multi piece ground search recon.........
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #39
Stay Quiet

Club: Campobello Flyers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5Es0bnulM

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #40
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
A bit of a stretch, but no excuse is too lame to play that great video! Thanks for digging it up (again) for us.

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions