ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

HZ SuperCub propeller

Old 09-11-2007, 02:46 AM
jnastasi
I'd rather be flying...

Default HZ SuperCub propeller

My brand new SC had 4 short "flights" on Sunday. A newbie, I misjudged the size of the field and before I could get used to the controls it was time to turn and I was to excessive. The last one was a short hop with a nice landing.

Anyway, the air scoop makes a great shovel and I wanted to remove some dirt and grass from inside the cowling. I pulled off the spinner and uscrewed the nut, but the damn prop won't come off. I'm afraid to use too much force.

Is there a trick to this? And please, try to keep the laugher to a minimum... :-)

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

If you've got the spinner and nut off, just rock the prop back and forth to get it off. There's nothing else holding it on except it being a little stuck.

You might also try getting the blade of a flat screw driver behind it and gently pry forward.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

The SC has a nut both infront of and behind the prop. The nut behind is recessed into the prop, and you can either pry off the prop leaving the nut on the shaft, or you can unscrew the whole thing using pliers to keep the propeller shaft from turning. If you do use pliers, just be sure to not grip the shaft so hard that you flatten the threads.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
jnastasi
I'd rather be flying...

Thank you all. Adds up to just havin' a little courage to give a pull. :-)

Now I just have to figure out how to get my email out of my WattFlyer user ID and I'm good...

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Now I just have to figure out how to get my email out of my WattFlyer user ID and I'm good...
You'll need to contact a Mod for that.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Piratemed
Welcome to PirateLand

Default Behind the prop ... lube for the gears ????

Just a kinda stuipd question here .. but when I was flying the "GAS" jobs there wasn't any need to worry about such things as "lube" cause that slimey stuff covered everything quite well ... but now with the "Electrics" ... there is no slime .... so should I be concerned about wear on the gear drives ? ... maybe a drop of some good ole 3 n 1 ?? ... or other suggestions ? .... or just leave them alone ? .....
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

I never lubed mine, and never had a gearbox related problem. If you wanted to lube it though, I think I'd recommend some graphite rather than a liquid lube.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

The beautiful thing about the SC is that the parts are all pretty much throw-away quality. What's so good about that, you ask? The price of replacing them is CHEAP! If you're like me, you are flying off of sun-baked soccer fields and baseball diamonds with lots of dust to kick up. My guess is that lubing the gears will just cause dirt and dust to stick to them better, so maybe it's better to leave them alone.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Piratemed
Welcome to PirateLand

Thanks Youse Guies . . . ! . . . we're a bit lucky here . . .got a nice "groomed" soccer field to use right now ... but the graphite idea makes sense ... and YEAH this is a lot "cheaper" flying than gas ! ...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

If the gears are made of anything except metal, don't put any lubricant of any kind on them. A petroleum based lube will deteriorate plastic, Nylon is self-lubricating, and carbon fiber needs no lubrication at all.

Metal is the only thing that might need lubricating and then I'd suggest a dry lubricant such as graphite or Silicone spray.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:57 PM
tmackel

I try to stay away from the baseball diamonds otherwise my plane gets coated with red dust. I have not had to lube the gears on my Super Cub and we fly it all the time. I have 4 batteries and we drain all 4 almost every time out.