2.02%
Control Line - Fuel
4.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

What do you fly besides electrics?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Default What do you fly besides electrics?

We all know you fly electric planes, or you are thinking about flying electric planes, or you would not be on Wattflyer. But what else do you fly?

Take the poll and let's see what everyone is flying.

Edit:

I added two items - Control Line, electric and fuel.

Free flight would fall under electric gliders, pure gliders or glow depending on how you launch it.

And I forgot control line. If you fly one of these, vote other and tell us about it in your post.

Last edited by AEAJR; 01-23-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I fly all electric except for my Hangar 9 J3 Cub. It is a 80" wingspan model and I have the Evolution .46 in it.

I enjoy flying it but I don't take it our nearly as often as the others since there is so much more to do to it to fly it. I have to assemble the wings on it at the field, the first plane I have not been able to take to the field in one piece.

Last edited by firemanbill; 01-22-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Well, I have a F6F Hellcat with a YS120 (glow) (my plane is on the right)

A 1/7 scale P-47 that I -was_ going to maiden this Sunday, before the damn rain showed up (26cc gas)

...and my itty bitty Super Cub

Right now I'm building a P-51B (Swiss) for the YS110 (glow)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=5440

And the Princess got me a Great Planes Ultimate Biplane for Christmas (50cc gas). This isn't my plane (still in the box being guarded by the Attack Wienerdog) - but you get the idea.
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Take the poll and let's see what everyone is flying.
Exactly what are you requesting here? Non-electric planes that we, as electric flyers, are also flying, or just a listing of everything in a person's fleet?
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I gotta drag the Sig Kadet out now & then fer Sent'a'ment'tal reasons now & then, ( and to keep her from stove'in-up!!) bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 014.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	91291   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 017.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	91292  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Hell Steve - a good DA 150 and the right prop, I bet we can get that Rodeo around the pattern
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

She likes her 24 year old OS 40!!Hahaaa bub, steve
Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Guys, go back and vote if the poll wasn't there. Somehow the thread appeared before I was finished creating the poll.

You can select more than one item.

I cast my votes - electrics under 4, electric gliders, pure gliders.

Ed
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Getting into gliders BAD . Been DLGing my butt off for the last few months. Have a few electric gliders, and building a 109" Mantua sailplane . So yeah, I'm slowly losing all powered planes.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

The only choice I would have added is "Electrics ONLY". That would be me.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I am not saying I will never fly a gas powered plane, but I fly electrics only now. Probably won't fly any glow any more.

Under four pounds electric, although I will get over that someday, when I get all my kits put together.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Mysterious

funtana 300, esky lama v4 and esky belt cp v1
Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer

Electrics only, and under 2 pounds. I have been eyeballing a few 6 or 7 pounders but won't move up until my skills match the investment.

Rick
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Quiet + silent

Hi Ed, Good Poll!
I fly small electrics, E-powered gliders of all sizes, unpowered (thermal duration) gliders up to 2 meters and DLG.
Ron
Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Dereck
Super Contributor

All the steerable and airworthy stuff is electric and RC.

But I still have:

A technically airworthy Hal deBolt 'Dmeco Twin' control-line model for two Cox 049 Baby or Golden Bee type engines;

An airworthy rubber powered NoCal profile scale 16" span Italian fighter-trainer from WW2 - Macci-Castolli or thereabouts, if you'll excuse my spelling.

A 38" span free flight 'pseudo-vintage' model for a Mills 75 diesel, needs the fuselage recovering, but it's all there otherwise.

An 18" span 'fiction scale' rudder only glider called the 'Hawker Headbutt' - it's a longer story than I've room for - designed and built by Gray, a renowned UK aeromodeller who writes for RCMW over in England.

I've also got an electric heliowobbler - one of those tiny yellow thingies, wifey bought me it as a surprise crizzie prezzie (honest ) As the hardest part of it was figuring out how to get the shrinkwrap off the box, I tend not to count it really.

My electrics fleet over the last few years have ranged from 12" span to 84.5", weights various and appropriate. However, having gotten into RC back around 1979, I suspect it's caught on...

Regards

Dereck
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Thanks for the posts and the votes.

I added control line items to the list.

So far we are heavily weighted to electrics under 4 pounds, but this is Wattflyer so that is no surprise. It is very interesting to see what else people are flying.

And I am happy to see that a lot of us fly multiple types of planes. There are so many different ways to enjoy this hobby.

It is not in the poll, but it would be interesting if you were to comment how you progressed.

For example:

I started on an Aerobird, that is electric under 4 pounds. Then added pure gliders in the form of hi-start launched 2M Spirit and a Zagi slope glider. Then I added electric gliders. Then I added an aerotowed glider. Finally I added discus launched gliders.

Today I have a fleet of 25 planes with several in each category. I enjoy them all, but I fly pure gliders about 75% of the time. My newest is a 2M electric glider.

So many airplanes and so little time to fly them.

Last edited by AEAJR; 01-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

And then there are diesel engines and CO2 motors and rubber power (FF).

Personally I never owned an RC model until I was about 45. When I first started almost 50 years ago RC was way too expensive so I flew FF and (mainly) control line almost always with small diesels. I had a few years off (about 25) and when I came back RC and electrics looked interesting but I also like revisiting stuff from my misspent youth .

If it's not too big and it flies I generally like it. But I don't count helicopters as flying, that's just thrashing the air into submission .

Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

100% electric. 4oz. 27" indoor foamie to 87" 17lb 3D bird. Where was all this great equipment when I was a kid?! Better late than never I quess. Control line, FF, glow was about all the choice you had back in the day. RC was a hit and miss affair, only the rich guys who could afford to crash(radio failure mostly) did it. My Heathkit radio fried in mid flight on my SIG Kadet as I watched it smite the earth-take that runway! Now with 2.4ghz technology that's a thing of the past. And with newer battery technology coming around the corner, in 10 years those old slimy engines will be museum pieces or paperweights. Only wet fuel source I might consider would be turbines. but with EDF's coming on strong I can't see that happening in my hanger. Although if they come up with an afterburner....
Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

I had a nice long narrative typed up then my connection re-set

Anyway, only one of my planes under 4 pounds remains wet-powered. Less than 1/3 of my fleet overall is wet-powered, and I will not buy any more two-stroke glow engines. If anything, I might add another four-stroke or a gasser for the larger stuff, but electric has proven so much more enjoyable to me over the past several years. I like tinkering with engines, but I'd much rather trust my planes/helis to an electric at this point, especially given how many flameouts I had on my 1/8th scale buggy this past race season...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Most of the planes I flew in 2008...
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...ipix-08-01.htm
Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 AM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

I hate to admit it, but I have stepped over to the DARK SIDE here lately. I went a little crazy and got me a 2 stroke and a 4-stroke. All I can say is, I can still fly my electrics all week long at my local spots and than on the weekend w/ the boys I can break out big noisey airplanes and enjoy them also. 6 to 10lbs airplanes are cool
Old 01-25-2009, 05:13 AM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Can we be fair and split helis and unpowered to over and under four pounds too?

I don't have a glow under 4 right now, but I have electric plane over four, electric plane under, electric heli over, electric heli under

other.... my lighter than air blimp! although last time I flew it I had some explosive decompression:o
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Mostly lightweight electrics.
Also have a couple very small electric helis and two midget sized Air Hogs two channel planes that do fly surprisingly well (zero wind please).

BUT, as a 25+yr 2 cycle mechanic by trade, I am very interested in the nitro burner planes (I have a nitro 10th scale truck) and will prolly have one by the summer.........25 - 40 size, not too big and likely a simple 4ch high wing.

I will always be true to the lipo set though, if the fuel thing ever happens it will be a side thing. I mean. how would I ever fly a noisey asss fuel plane in a schoolyard at 7am on a monday morn?? Yeah, electrics are the real draw here!

hehe

--Ray
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
Can we be fair and split helis and unpowered to over and under four pounds too?

I don't have a glow under 4 right now, but I have electric plane over four, electric plane under, electric heli over, electric heli under

other.... my lighter than air blimp! although last time I flew it I had some explosive decompression:o
I suppose I could, but I am not really focused on the helis. I could go for gliders 2M and under as well as over 2M too and do that for pure and electric and .... But it becomes too complex.

This survey is focuesd on small vs. large electric airplanes and seeing what else people fly. But I understand your thoughts. I don't know if 4 pounds is a reasonable break on helis.

The way I am interperting this survey, based on the fact that it is running on Wattflyer and it is running in the Electric airplane section:

1) Almost all the respondants fly at least one small electric airplane, under 4 pounds. I could have used the AMA parkflyer definition of 2 pounds but I wanted that first box to be very inclusive. I look at that as my focus number. As of this post, 39 have responsded and 35 of those fly small electric airplanes.

2) Some fly only small electric planes. There is a LOT out there under 4 pounds and at that weight they are very cost effective.

3) Many will fly other things. A lot of those will be people who started elsewhere, then entered the under 4 pound electric airplane space. I can't tell from the survey, but it is likely. That is why I asked people to tell us about their progression. Did they start with small electrics or did they start somewhere else.

I find it VERY interesting to see how many e-gliders are shown. And it looks like a LOT of electric airplane pilots also fly electric Helis.

Keep it coming folks.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Lazy Bee
I'd rather be flying!

Originally Posted by buzzbomber View Post
I'd much rather trust my planes/helis to an electric at this point, especially given how many flameouts I had ..
certainly not trying to hijack a thread here, but the sad thing is the more time we spend w/electrics & the more rare our glow flights become, the more difficult it seems to be to keep those things running smoothly.

don't get me wrong, I love both! still have several glow engines, although they don't see much run time...

...from a lazy bee w/os10 & a pipe that reaches to the tail feathers (which btw runs so quiet you could almost get away with flying it at an all electric fly-in), thru several 46's up to a 1/5 sclae cub w/magnum 91 four stroker.

electric is wonderful, but still nothing like that sound & smell of glow

Quick Reply: What do you fly besides electrics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.20592 seconds with 14 queries