Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Made a Diablo Fly!!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Default Made a Diablo Fly!!!!

By God she flew!

I got her in the air this morning. The brushless set-up that I put in her is night and day. I (Actually Newjak threw it for me) launched at 100% throttle and she took off like a shot. I found that the sweet spot for the throttle was about 50% for cruising. I did most of my flights between 40 - 50%. I did a glide test to see how she handled with zero throttle trying to get a feel for her to land. It glides pretty well with the 40 inch wing span. I was quite pleased with the flight. I have the throws on the servos set to the furthest holes. She turned extremely sharp at high speed and the plane climbs extremely well. This is how I expected the plane out of the box! Seeing my flight performance today, I seriously doubt that the planes in the video are stock. No way. Overall, I'm pleased with the plane now. Now, I am trying to figure out how to land without scooping dirt into the pod. I'm thinking about putting the wheel struts from a Super Cub on it to make gear to keep from ruining the pod or motor. She scoops up quite a bit of dirt/mud/grass on landings, no matter how good your landing. Next up, change out the receiver to AR6000, and possibly the advanced wing set.

If you have a Diablo, do a brushless upgrade. She's a decent bird afterward. If you don't have a Diablo, and are thinking about one.... DON'T!!!!! Let this bird go. Good idea, very bad execution on Hobbico / Flyzone's part. My personal opinion, this plane should be recalled, and owners given the option of a different model.

For the ones having a balance issue... I dropped in a 3c 2200mAh battery and it balanced right up. I have the battery pushed all the way forward, and it hit balance with no additional weight added.

Here's what I put in her:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3850
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4860
Grand Total Shipped: $32.43

My thanks goes out to Newjak for all his help! If it weren't for his urging, it would be in the landfill right now.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Maybe that's why they called it "Diablo" (Spanish for Devil)?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 AM
notfamous
Leaps before looking

So I was thinking about a Diablo but since its suggested not to, what else should I look at?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Hone your skills on the planes you have now. Then I would suggest you don't even think about the Diablo AT ALL! The Parkzone T-28 would be a nice choice
Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Unless I am mistaken, you currently own a Super Cub. The Parkzone T28 is an excellent follow-up to that plane. The flight characteristics are alike, and it makes for an easier transition.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
notfamous
Leaps before looking

I do have a super cub, I've been flying the swift this past week. I've crashed it once, main issue I'm having is he un expected nose dive when its so far away that I can' tell which way its facing.

I'm not buying anything this month but I may in July so I'm just planning ahead to see if ducted would be a good way to go.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Ducted fan aircraft fly differently compaired to prop planes. It takes longer for them to reach above stall speed and can be a little tricky on takeoff. The throttle to actual airspeed response is slower also. I can't remember who it was, but someone refered to it like this...

With a prop plane, when you push on the throttle, the response is quick. You can see the difference in a matter of seconds. With a ducted fan plane, you push the throttle up, get a cup of coffee, make a sandwich, and then see the difference in speed.

Though not a dramatic as that, it can seem that way sometimes. When you launch a ducted fan jet, you need a bit of straight distance to allow it to build it's speed and lift before you can make any movement. There are some ducted fan jets that are powered quite well, and these planes would be able to achieve the speed and lift at a faster rate.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/107312.asp This is an F16 that comes powered very well out of the box. Newjak has one, and it's impressive. He, or someone else would have to explain what needs to be done to it before flight, but it's a nice plane.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
GadgetGeek

Just wondering if you were able to add landing gear to your Diablo. Mine flys okay but I have already damaged the power pod trying to land on short grass. I'm getting the dual pod and don't want to damage it. I have a SuperCub and love it. Thanks for your reply.
Mel
Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Hounder

Default Diablo with gear

GadgetGeek: I wouldn't do that and actually would return the twin pod. I know from first hand since I had one of these. Note "had". I had the twin pods and short wing and thought it would fly faster than the single unit but it did not. Mater of fact, it barely stayed in the air. My landings too would break the pods. An option with the single pod is to put it on the top. It will fit in the slots with some minor modifications. I thought I would be able to use mine for slope soaring. I flatened out the long wing and put ailerons on it. It flew ok until I tried to so a split S. The wings folded. End of game. I stipped all the gear out of it and chucked it. Great idea but bad execution on Great Planes with this one. That's why you see so many in the scratch & dent section at Tower Hobbies. Good luck
Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
GadgetGeek

Default landing gear for Diablo

Hi Hounder;
thanks for the reply and the information. Guess I'll just experiment a little but won't put too much effort into a somewhat lost cause unless I am willing to upgrade a lot. Actually I just got a Hobbico/Flyzone Cessna Skylane Select that is brushless with 5 channels (includes flaps) and even working navigational lights. It is also made out of AeroCell. Greg Covey has finished his RC Universe review and seemed to like it although he did not recommend it for the beginner. But I think it will be a good second plane after my SuperCub. Speaking of my SuperCub, I modified it for LiPos so I am anxious to get some good weather to try it out.
Mel
Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Hounder

Default Diablo

You got that one right. Like I said, it was a great concept and looked cool but was nothing more than a flying turd. Another great plane that you should consider is the Parkzone T-28. I got one of these last summer and now a bunch of my fellow club members have them. The Cessna sounds cool. Have fun with it.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM
mxw128

Default Diablo brushless upgrade

I've seen some of the posts with componets that folks used to upgrade the diablo, but I hear that it's a real pain... anybody willing to post about the experinece and maybe some lessons learned when doing the upgrade? Did you reuse the fan unit? How tough was it to pull the old motor out?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Zrat

I put the fan on top, still using the brushed motor. elongate the slots on the top of the fuse ~1/2"-1" toward the front of the plane with a razor knife then put the lock tabs in from the bottom of the fuse. Also rip out that air brake thingy in the back of the pod. I made a thrust concentrator out of a plastic soda bottle, cut out the center section and rolled it up, just kept playing with the length and diameter of the exit end and did "static" testing by putting it on the hardwood floor and seeing how much throttle it took before it moved. For all the bad rap this plane has I was impressed, I never flew it stock so not sure how mine compares. I'm thinking I should order the BL setup idealhobbies listed above....Zrat
Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Zrat

Default Mods

Here are a couple of pic's, I think I'll take the servos out of the short wings and add them on the trainer wing after cutting out the dihedral tips. El diablo could use some extra surface area on the elevator too but maybe I'll try a bigger battery first, I can loop this but make sure you've got some elevation, it doesn't want to pull out of a dive very well.

Zrat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	99608   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	99609  
Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Zrat

Oh yeah, concentrator is 1.5" at the exit end, just rolled up the plastic, wrapped some tape around it and CA'd inside the tube of the pod....
Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 AM
animal acker
I killed the diablo.

Had a diablo, shot it down with a 12 guage, my friend did actually, I had to fly the turd. Go to you tube type in diablo rc plane shoot down success. and see what this plane is best used for.