Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 08-02-2015, 03:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

BOO HOO !! .... Polaris went in hard after a dumb thumbs moment !!

She rolled a half more than I expected and pulling elevator .............. well see for yourself !

Nigel
Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Porcia83

Default My turn

After looking for this for 4 years, I stumbled across an F-104 Startfighter, ready to fly. EPS foam, 70 mm. I cleaned her up, tightened everything up, added a 3 axis gryo too just to be on the safe side. Got some new 2200 4 cells, run up and down the runway to make sure it tracked o/k. Been thinking about this flight all week. Made some last minute changes to programming then cleared the field, lined up on the runway and let her rip.

Not as powerful as I had thought it was going to be, but respectable. Took off completely scale, nice rotation and steady climb out into a gentle headwind. Started to dip to the left so I applied a tiny correction (throws at 40%). Not only didn't it correct, the roll to the left got worse, so of course I dial in more stick, that just makes it worse, and since I was only up about 30 feet, not much I could do. Rolled into her back, and went in. Nose crushed, tail section pulled off.

Damn Spektrum brown out, or worse...that cheap HK gyro! Never again!
If only!!! Back in the pits I connect a battery and to my horror discover....it was pilot error. I reversed the ailerons. Forgot to the the last minute preflight after making some adjustments and it cost me big.

So stunned at my stupidity. Totally bummed, ruined the rest of the flying for the day. UGH !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crying-waterfalls.gif
Views:	74
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	181381  
Old 08-02-2015, 06:54 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

oops!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear P .....

But I know its no consolation - but we've all done it. Only a short while back I posted about very same ... reversed ailerons.

Nigel
Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Porcia,

The agony. Ouch !

I was flying my Phoenix Decathlon Mk1 on Saturday and all was good. Standard maneuvers. Rolls, Cubans, Loops, Immelmans, etc. Getting a little bored so I decided to take her up high and try mashing the sticks to see if I could get her to tumble in a flat spin. Bad choice.

Put her into a non-recoverable(at least for me) death spiral. Suppose I could have given her full left rudder but couldn't think on my feet fast enough. Amazingly, she's repairable with some major TLC but a PITA nevertheless. Might just get a new arf.

-Hawk
Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

"And now .... the Death Spin of ...

Ernst Kessler .................... "

Words from what movie ?

Hawk ... I know the feeling ...

Years ago I built a Zlin Akrobat for a regional Scale Comp .... flew her about 4x trimming / adjusting etc.

Then week before the comp ... was out in the field and had her high up ... so just like you ......... lets see what she really does ... Sticks full over corners ........ down she came ... spinning like a top and then Oh NO !! she flattened out into the unrecoverable flat spin ....
She pancaked in smashing the wing up into the fuselage. Ripped the covering I'd painstakenly applied and detailed up. Later repaired she was never quite the same ...

I rushed out Monday am to shop ... bought the Neiuport 28 ... had it up and built for the next weekends Comp ...

Nigel
Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 PM
hkeelljr

Default Pine tree ornament

Checked on my "hung up" Gamma370 using binoculars I noticed that the rubber bands holding the wing on have departed to places unknown. This leaves everything exposed to the elements, now I really need try harder to get it down. Will use my sisters bow and see if I can get it down by spearing it with an arrow.

Last edited by hkeelljr; 08-06-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: puncuation
Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Or pay a kid $5.00 to shimmy up the tree-
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 PM
hkeelljr

Thought about it but can't find anyone to do it. Now maybe if I had a pair of lineman's pole climbers, but its awfully high in the tree, and my bones are allergic to falls from any height.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 PM
thosmosis

This one was a while ago. Though there have been many after. I think this is the most dramatic. I consider a touch down (should have gone with it!) but it wasn't quite right. So, go around, one more time, and see if you can hit the light array, that is gargantuan!

Though I thought I was way over it!

Last edited by thosmosis; 08-06-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I put my beloved Dynam Gee Bee Sportster straight into the ground from about 60-70 feet up. It was my own stupid fault.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:25 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Years ago - one of the flying sites I used was a military airbase. It was semi-active and mainly used for Fleet Air Arm Seaking rescue helicopters.

Well we get told by the Controller which runway area we can use .... this particular day we are at the north end of main runway. I have me Mirage 2000 .... with ST60 up front.

I open throttle ... she roars across the tarmac .... BHAM ! Straight slap bsng center of mine of the runway lights. It actually knocked it of its plinth !

This is not good as its one of the sector lights that is aligned specifically to show approach angle.

And of course a couple of the guys that day were the clubs know everything never do anything wrong guys - who never let you forget you are a lesser species !

Nigel
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
This one was a while ago. Though there have been many after. I think this is the most dramatic. I consider a touch down (should have gone with it!) but it wasn't quite right. So, go around, one more time, and see if you can hit the light array, that is gargantuan!

Though I thought I was way over it!
here's the video (you only need the 'THJHraePHYA' part of the URL when you create the youtube link):

You couldn't have hit that thing more dead centre, that's top precision flying!

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 08-08-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Old 08-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Slammed my PopWing right into the ground this morning 10-15mph winds good toss but wind blew it right into a blazing bright sun. Had no choice but to look away and bam right into the ground. fixable but ahh man what was I thinking. Oh that's right I wasn't
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Slammed my PopWing right into the ground this morning 10-15mph winds good toss but wind blew it right into a blazing bright sun. Had no choice but to look away and bam right into the ground. fixable but ahh man what was I thinking. Oh that's right I wasn't

PopWing, Tek Sumo, same thing. Yesterday 4 of us were flying Tek Sumos in formation and during the flight 2 times I started flying someone elses plane while mine flew on and landed safe both times. Lucky I had a gyro in it that kept it level.
No damage at all.

Problem was I got distracted when some of the other guys nudged each other and then you start laughing and next thing.... where is my plane?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
At least they're pretty bouncy planes.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
At least they're pretty bouncy planes.
yep just ripped the battery hatch out and dislodged motor mount all fixable. Durable planes for sure and I do abuse them from time to time
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

i just crashed my extra 260 32"ws plane...... and i wasn't even flying it!!

got home from work and hot glued my busted up superfly foamy delta wing. replaced the motor mount and gave her a test run wot while it was blowing torward my extra hanging from the floor joists. she dropped straight down on the prop and the motor mount box broke under the cowel

I told my wife and her response....she said my thoughts are"ooooo,goody,something for me to fix]. sadly,she's right.i simply smiled at the broken mount and knew what i would be doing later tonight....

Last edited by tobydogs; 08-18-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Old 08-18-2015, 06:19 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Its funny - my usual result of engine test indoors is half the model room debris gets shifted !

I look around and try to direct to least damaging direction .....

Nigel
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Crashchez

Crashed about a year ago, my Cessna Sky Trainer.
She went into a spiral at full speed nose first. It was elevator failure. The control horn broke, due to leaving my plane in my hot shed, which made the nylon brittle. me! ...dumb thumbs.
Think I'll switch to metal for the control surfaces for all my planes!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Default Watch for power lines !!

One of my good friends went to an ALES glider contest out of state. I don't think he has flown there before.
Unfortunately while setting up for a landing, he misjudged where the plane was in relation to some power lines.

This is the sad result.
Pulsar 3.6m glider + 2200 volts AC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fried Pulsar.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	181553  
Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Ouch!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:24 PM
thosmosis

This one did nose over at the last second!

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.22004 seconds with 15 queries