Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

New to RC planes

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
banthony
AJAX

Default New to RC planes

I'm looking into putting together an RC plane. I'm starting with nothing except years of paper airplane experience, some old RC car motors/radios/servos of all sizes, and some Dell PC fans. I've done some research online through various forums brushing up on my understanding of circuits and trying to be able to understand some of the Lingo. Anyway, I am drawn to EDF jets for some reason and would like anyones recommendations for how to get started (what you would have done your first time) etc. I don't have a large budget, but am a "willing to work for parts" kind of guy. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default WELCOME!

Originally Posted by banthony View Post
I'm looking into putting together an RC plane. I'm starting with nothing except years of paper airplane experience, some old RC car motors/radios/servos of all sizes, and some Dell PC fans. I've done some research online through various forums brushing up on my understanding of circuits and trying to be able to understand some of the Lingo. Anyway, I am drawn to EDF jets for some reason and would like anyones recommendations for how to get started (what you would have done your first time) etc. I don't have a large budget, but am a "willing to work for parts" kind of guy. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
Hi banthony. WELCOME to WattFlyer! and to a wonderful hobby. You have found the best place on the web for friendly and experienced advice.

I guess my answer would come int two parts: First, I think starting with an EDF plane is kind of jumping into the deep end. In my experience EDFs are more expensice and require better batteries (also mor $$s) than prop driven counterparts. They also tend to be Fast! I'm not a ducted fan guru, so hopefully someone will jump in soon and give you some good advice.
Secondly, I would advise getting a USB simulator transmitter and download FMS. It is a shareware RC flight simulator that is fantastic for learning the ins and outs of flying without busting the bank each time you "crash"!
Here are some links for examples and resources:
Controller.
Flying Model Simulator.

Overall I would say Start out with a normal prop driven plane and get very comfortable with that before going EDF, but that's just me. And every minute spent on a flight sim is money saved!

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

banthony,

Welcome to Wattflyer. Not to burst your bubble, but if you are a complete rookie at RC Flight, EDF's are NOT the way to go, unless your goal is to crash and spend a LOT of money.

Your best bet is to start with a high-wing "trainer" type airplane, such as the Super Cub of EasyStar. They are much more forgiving, and also slower, which while not "sexy" to some, are the way to go to train yourself how to react when bad things happen. They are also relatively easy to repair, in the event of a crash (and you WILL crash; we ALL do).

I also recommend you try to find an experienced pilot in your area to help you trim your aircraft and teach you how to fly. It is a steep learning curve; it is much steeper on your own. If you can find someone that can train you on a buddy box (where your transmitter is attached to your instructors, and the instructor can take over if you get into trouble), that is the best way to go for most folks.

Ask lots of questions. There are a multitude of helpful folks here on Wattflyer, all willing to help you succeed!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
banthony
AJAX

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I have been looking at a few different "trainer" style aircraft and, like I said, my budget is not so big. So this is one that I found that seems to be RTF.
would it be a good model to begin with or not. Let me know what you think.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
banthony
AJAX

here is the link.
http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=PKZ1300
Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

I think thats a fine beginner plane. But - the #1 recommended beginner plane is the Super Cub. Its a little more expensive at $159.

They recently came out with the mini super cub, which has a wingspan of 31" instead of the 47" of the full size super cub. But its only $119.

I started with a Super Cub. I also have a slow stick, which is very similar to the Slow V you posted. I enjoy the Super Cub more, and find it a lot easier to fly. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

banthony - I got that plane (Slo-V) for my second plane and hated it. It's underpowered, fragile, flimsy, and practically unflyable in any wind at all. And did I mention that it's underpowered? zirconx's advice is exactly what I would suggest too. The Super Cub is what I got after the Slo-V (which I unceremoniously stuffed into the trash), and that's when I really started enjoying RC flying.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Oh wow there is a mini Super Cub out..... looks like a lot of fun. I had the full size Super Cub for my first plane. What a hoot. It's mostly Gorilla glue now. To many loops on the deck.

A sweet looking EDF plane I found was the Miglet. Very inexpensive.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1866.html

If I bought it I'm sure it would be in a tree the first flight heeh.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
banthony
AJAX

Thanks for the additional input. Would anyone care to comment on Radio's and servos and a good way to start out. As I understand it the Super Cub comes with a radio and I'm guessing some built in servos. Would that radio and those servos be salvagable for other planes, such as the little edf jet linked to the above comment?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Nice to hear from an honest guy. We see new jet flyers posting only after buying and crushing an RTF jet package, posting with the pretense that they are real rc flyers, let alone EDF. That other forum seems to get most of them. Things like them asking how to get the motor out of the fan afterwards make it obvious that they haven't been into EDF.

Any of the 72MHz 4 channel radios can be used down the road. 27MHz are noise susectible. You will want to get something better as time goes on. You're buying at a good time though. I bought a DX6 2 years ago, only to not be able to use the newer DSM2 technology that is out now. A DX6i would probably be good for you for ages to come. Same goes for your batteries too. I remember paying top dollar for the newest 8C lipos, useless in EDF. Far less money buys 20C now.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
banthony
AJAX

There is a Thread in the For sale section
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42387
Let me know if you think this is at all appropriate for a beginner pilot's first plane. There is a nice looking radio included and that is attractive to me.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

There is a Thread in the For sale section
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42387
Let me know if you think this is at all appropriate for a beginner pilot's first plane. There is a nice looking radio included and that is attractive to me.
I like the fact that it is 6 channel, but if you want my personal opinion, I would decide if you want it or a 2.4G spread spectrum radio. The idea of the cheaper RTF packages is to get going with a low dollar radio that you don't plan to use beyond that plane.
Realistically, if you don't have an teacher with a buddy cord, the chances of damaging an aileron trainer in the process of learning are very high. When the Sig Kadets first came out, there were no foam Super Cub RTF packages in hobby shops and it was assumed that people would get instruction when they were starting out.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 PM
banthony
AJAX

Futaba 7CHP Tx and HiTEC Electron 6 Rx (CH58). HiTEC HS-56HB servos (4). is this a good deal for 100-150$. Here is the link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...768&cat=&lpid= It is a local classifieds ad, and I want to get a good first radio that I can stick with longterm.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The link didn't bring it up for me, but I would want to have a 2.4G radio, given the choice. Some of the modern 72MHz radios have output modules, giving the option of converting to 2.4G. Doesn't sound like a bad deal what you listed, for the price though.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
banthony
AJAX

What is the difference between 72MHz and 2.4G? I don't really understand why one would be better long term than the other.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM
haasjj
Another New Member

I don't think one would be a lot better in the long run over the other. There are definite advantages with DSS 2.4g systems over FM 72mhz. One thing with 2.4g systems they are very unlikely to ever have frequency problems with another radio where as 72 mhz if someone turns on a radio right next to you and both are on Ch50 you are going to have some problems. Do a search here or other sites like this or anywhere on the web to get some info this subject has been discussed many times. Or check out web sites like...
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/spekTech.aspx

Now that you have heard the bad news about EDF planes what direction will you be going? Sticking with electric or going with a nitro plane for a trainer and what is your budget for a plane?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
banthony
AJAX

I'm heavily leaning toward the HZ super cub. My only deal is that I know I will be addicted to flying. I haven't necassarily owned any "rc aircraft" that would be respected by hobbyers, but my brothers and I have made all sorts of flying things... most that didn't get off the ground. I want to set myself up for a less expensive second and third plane by getting equipment (used but good) that I can continue to use with anything I decide to go on to afterward. I am shopping around everywhere... looking at the classifieds in my area and searching for deals. I am quite low budget because of school, family etc. My wife and I are both still in school and need to be frugal. I'm not one to go out and buy many "toys", but I want to get into this hobby in conservative way for now. Well thats the scoop with me.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
haasjj
Another New Member

After looking around it might be your best choice. The main thing I don't like about the HZ Cub is the 3 Ch radio that comes with it, you won't be able to use that radio in any other plane unless its another 3 ch. On the other hand it is a nice plane from what I have seen, fairly strong and will resist minor crashes. If you have time in the near future find a local hobby shop and if there is not one in Provo find out if there is a local club. Go to the club and ask around to see if they have a Club Trainer plane and pilot.
When you are trying to save money in this hobby there are many times it cost more than it should.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Brner
AMA16634

I'm heavily leaning toward the HZ super cub. My only deal is that I know I will be addicted to flying. I haven't necassarily owned any "rc aircraft" that would be respected by hobbyers, but my brothers and I have made all sorts of flying things... most that didn't get off the ground. I want to set myself up for a less expensive second and third plane by getting equipment (used but good) that I can continue to use with anything I decide to go on to afterward. I am shopping around everywhere... looking at the classifieds in my area and searching for deals. I am quite low budget because of school, family etc. My wife and I are both still in school and need to be frugal. I'm not one to go out and buy many "toys", but I want to get into this hobby in conservative way for now. Well thats the scoop with me.
Forget the "next" plane....buy the SuperCub..you'll be very happy with it and it'll turn into your "next" plane for some time. Worst feature, IMO, is that it's on 27...My guess is you'll want to update that radio system as we all seem to want to do, regardless of what we happen to be flying today...lol...but if you're in the right area, it'll work fine with the SC. Ask local flyers if they have any problems on that frequency. Best feature is that parts are readily available from Hobby Zone....they are not sell and disappear artists like some you read about in the forums.

And, if you decide to put that system in another airframe, there are many 3 channel planes and plans available.

I would strongly suggest you contact some experienced RC'r in your area to help you check it out (whatever plane and system you decide on) and in learning how to fly.....Good Luck

Don
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
d&mrc

Well, as others have already said, a high-wing plane is generally best for a beginner. The one that gets my vote is the Aerobird Challenger. Comes rtf, and it tougher than nails, with the exception of the wing.
However, I recently set out to get a cheap EDF, and I found it.
It is the XPD-8. It is the exact same plane as the miglet, just a different paint scheme. The price difference doesn't make any sense, I think someone somewhere made a mistake. But, I just ordered mine (albeit on ebay), and everything has gone smoothly. I am going brushless, because I happen to have the proper equipment already, but I hear it flies just fine on the stock brushed motor. You'll need a 25 amp brushed esc (though less would probably be just fine), and a 1000mah or so 3 cell lipo, and a receiver. Shop around a bit *cough* hobbycity *cough*, and you'll have a plane for under a hundred bucks. Plus the cost of a radio.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Deke
EDF is on the way

Hi d&mrc,

Just wondering if you ever got that 30.00 edf plane XPD-8, if so how did it fly, and would you recommend it as a first time edf plane?

And how's banthony coming along?

This thread needs a bump

Deke
Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
banthony
AJAX

I appreciate your inquisitive concern. After a lot of debate and some recommendations from rc flyers on various forums I purchased a slowstick and radio and some other equipment. I'm currently looking at what to do for power options (battery/charger) etc. and am finding it more complicated than I expected. If anyone would care to Skype me and let me show you what I've got to work with that would be great. Thanks,

Anthony