Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

shopping for a used tx

Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Harley22

Default shopping for a used tx

I am beginning to look into another TX that is a little more advanced than my Spectrum DX5. My question is: Do I have to purchase another Rx, or can I bind the new TX to the existing Rx?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:52 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Depends what you choose as the new TX...

Any DSMX by Spektrum will bind with DSM2 and DSMX RXs

Check about any JR you might look at... I haven't kept up with what they have done after they split from Spektrum.

There are off-brands that might work with your RXs. Check carefully.

Futaba, Hitech and Airtronics WILL NOT WORK with Spektrum compatible RXs unless they are module based and you get the module..
Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 AM
fishycomics

you're happy with the one you got no need to update Rx's they will wor, only newer models you add on you just bind.

A DX6 is awesome. I look into that...
Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The newer JR DMSS systems will not work with the DSM2/X stuff.

Any of the new Spektrums will though. If looking at a used JR radio ( I have 2, not for sale) as long as it says DSM2 or DSMX you will be fine.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:48 AM
Harley22

Am looking at the DX6i. I am now flying an Apprentice S15 and am thinking about either Piper Cherokee or a T28 as my second plane. Future planes will have flaps and retracts. I think that TX will handle those options.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

One of my key pieces of advice I give people is always buy as MUCH radio as your budget will allow.

Planes will come and go but a good radio stays with you for a very long time. You may not need a feature or two that some of the newer ones have but someday you may, or you may not, but having the peace of mind to know that you have a radio that can handle whatever comes next is a pretty good feeling.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:16 AM
LTRC

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
One of my key pieces of advice I give people is always buy as MUCH radio as your budget will allow.

Planes will come and go but a good radio stays with you for a very long time. You may not need a feature or two that some of the newer ones have but someday you may, or you may not, but having the peace of mind to know that you have a radio that can handle whatever comes next is a pretty good feeling.
Very wise words. If you can afford a DX9 or DX18 get it. As you progress into more complex models you will need more channels.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:34 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I've had a Futaba 9c for about 13 years and love it to death. When I was forced to go to Spektrum several years back I bought the module for the 9C. it worked fine but swapping back and forth between 72mhz and Spektrum got to be a hassle so I started looking at getting a new Spektrum TX. After reading so many positive reviews on all the R/C forums I got the 2014 version DX-6. LINK Read the specs closely. It's got a lot of great features. 250 model memory was what sold me!

I would have loved the 9 or 18 but they were WAY out of my budget. Out of 40+ airplanes I don't have any that need more than 6 channels so the DX-6 is perfect for me. I'm really starting to love this TX almost as much as my 9C. Search around and you might find a 10% off coupon. Shipping is free too.

Joe
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post

Fully agree ............ in my mind the days of a 6ch radio being the recc'd are over ... people now are fitting so many things to models ... using channels for mixes etc. that 6ch's are now limiting ...

Personally I advise getting 8ch as the keeper ... more versatile, lasts you longer before wanting upgrade etc. And 8ch radios are cheap enough and a number are capable of modules to work literally any format of brands ... Spektrum / FrSky / JR / Futaba etc. In fact you can have a module for each and swap it in same radio giving you total universal capability.

Nigel
Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Harley22 View Post
I am beginning to look into another TX that is a little more advanced than my Spectrum DX5. My question is: Do I have to purchase another Rx, or can I bind the new TX to the existing Rx?
Shopping for used TX:

If at all possible given your current budget constraints, consider buying a new, in the box, never been opened TX.........I've lost track of the number of guys I talked to out at the field who wished they had........that way you've got the ability to register the product with the manufacture as the original owner.....if ever warranty issues or service/technical advice is required............

You'll get guys here who may disagree, but even buying used from a friend or reliable third party can become an issue down the road particularly with electronic equipment.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:26 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post

Shopping for used TX:

If at all possible given your current budget constraints, consider buying a new, in the box, never been opened TX.........I've lost track of the number of guys I talked to out at the field who wished they had........that way you've got the ability to register the product with the manufacture as the original owner.....if ever warranty issues or service/technical advice is required............

You'll get guys here who may disagree, but even buying used from a friend or reliable third party can become an issue down the road particularly with electronic equipment.
+1 on buying brand new. Unless you know the seller, you never know if the owner dropped the unit or whatever?

A quality transmitter will serve you well. As for brand names, most are pretty good now days. My club members are flying 95% Spectrum. One is flying a Futaba on 72 MHz.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Just a point.
Although the the DX6i is both DSM2 and DSMX compatible the new DX6 is not compatible with DSM2 for Txs sold in Europe.
I expect this is the reason why DX6is are being sold for high prices second hand on Ebay at the moment.
If you shop around you can get a brand new one for very little more!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:06 PM
maxflyer

You may end up being surprised at being short a channel you never expected you'd need. For example, If you get to the point where you have planes with throttle, elevator, rudder, and two aileron servos, you have already used 5 ch. Now you realize that it's safest to start using an external UBEC because of the number of servos you are using. That remaining open channel will be now used by the UBEC.

Now you find you want to have a plane that uses flaps (big fun). That's at least one more channel. You're already in trouble.

If you are on a budget and still have growing requirements, it's awfully hard to ignore the amazing value and capability of a FrSky Taranis. This is the wave of the future. The only catch is that you will have to educate yourself a bit about how to program it. Most of us who have gone this route eventually get past the intimidation factor and never look back.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have come to try and understand prevalence of buying less channels than cheaper more channel / configurable radios are out there.

maxflyer talks about the Taranis .............. a very good radio that many are using and with great success. The beauty of course is its versatility and also that you can plug in the Spektrum compatible module and fly all your DSM2 / DSMX models as you like AND still have capability to fly FrSky or even Futaba if you want to plug in the FAAAST module ...

AND ALL FOR LESS THAN THE SPEKTRUM !

I don't fly Taranis but I know many who do. I usually find out a new Taranis owner because I hear the voice enabled stuff from their radios ...
I'm a 9x and 9xr flyer .... BOTH are far more capable than any Spektrum radio 6 .. or 7 ... but of course you need to program them. BUT AGAIN - I could but a DSM Module to plug in and bind to any BnF model out there ... AND have change from buying Spektrum to buy another BnF model !!

I really don't understand the logic of paying more for less ... it really is less ... and please don't give me the Service Back-up bit ... if my radio needs that - I bin it.

Nigel
Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

I fly a Taranis with Frsky receivers and I also built a DSM2 module for the many Spektrum receivers I have. I love the Taranis and telemetry is great. So one more vote for the Taranis. Just get an Orange Module for your Spektrum stuff OR.... go straight to Frsky telemetry receivers and sell the Spectrum receiver.

FWIW, I started with a DX6i in 2009 (still have it) and Horizon service was top notch. But the Frsky link has been better. I had more problems with DSM2.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I have all but given up all DSM2 stuff. I converted my 9303 to DSMX and fly some small stuff, mostly bind and fly micro and park size, on it but I have converted, or will convert before I fly them again to my Futaba 14SJ.

FASST is the most solid connection I have ever experienced.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Yeah I went from the original DX6 to the 6i, now the only thing I use the 6i for is a couple of my tracked vehicles. I bought an Orange module for my EVO tx that allows me to fly DSM2/DSMx, or the old 72 systems.

Word of advice if using the Orange module. Watch the settings on it. As stated it will bind to either DSM2 or DSMx. But whatever the last thing you bound to is, is what it will transmit on. I've got both types of rx's, and found that out nearly the hard way.
If you are flying say an x version and then go to fly something on DSM2, you have to change the module setting to match.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:38 PM
earthsciteach

For me, there is no better choice than a Taranis radio. Part of that is because I fly FrSky with telemetry. But, for the cost, you get a tremendous amount for your buck with the programming abilities and the capability to swap out modules. Part of me also likes being the only person at my club not flying Spektrum. But, I'm a non-comformist. :-)
Old 10-04-2015, 02:55 AM
michaely

Ditto on suggesting the FrSky Taranis.

You should be able to get a used Taranis "A" or "B" production run for less than $150; and they were only introduced in the late fall of 2013 so a lot of them have had little use...... and the current model, the Taranis Plus, retail, is only around $200 plus about $40 for an 8/16 channel receiver (and a used Taranis Plus, less frequently available, typically go for about $150).

The later models have some tweeks (eg. the "A" has a 700 or 800ma NiCad; the "B" and the Plus have a 2000ma) but all the models have the same software capabilities.

good luck

Michael