Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Hot Glue?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Thumbs up Hot Glue?

Let me start by saying that till now I've used epoxy for just about everything I've built.
Till now.
I built me a ms composite swift II. I was going to use epoxy as usual but saw a build video where the builder was using hot Glue.
So I thought id give it a try. Spent $10 on a low heat gun and another $5 on 40 glue sticks.
So far I'm ahead of the game as even with the price of the gun included I still spent less than the same amount of epoxy.
Why oh why did I never try hot glue before? Quick to use. Holds as well as epoxy. No mixing. No mess.
If you've put off trying hot glue cause you think its only good for decorating things go out and try it. Other than a few things which will still need ca or epoxy for specific reasons hot glue will work with just about anything.

ps. It is a little heavier than epoxy but not noticeably so.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
M@!

I used welders adhesive so far but hot glue definitely looks appealing. I think the hot glue gun I have is too hot, it will melt foam if I'm not careful.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Henry Sistrunk

." Holds as well as epoxy" Does any hot glue hold as well as epoxy? That's news to me.
Henry
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Trammellc2001

Hot glue, epoxy, guerrilla glue, CA all have there place. I use a combination of all 4 depending on the type of mod or repair.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
." Holds as well as epoxy" Does any hot glue hold as well as epoxy? That's news to me.
Henry
IMHO Epoxy holds a little better and is not as heavy. I've tried it on a motorboard where I needed a little more flex than epoxy, it flexed all right, right off the plane. But really that was my fault for crashing.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Henry Sistrunk

IMHO hot glue is not nearly as strong as epoxy.
Henry
Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 PM
M@!

I think when using hot glue for the appropriate application it probably holds just as well as epoxy. For example, gluing a foam fuselage to a foam wing. Would the wing rip off easier with hot glue vs epoxy? The foam would probably rip before either of the fasteners failed.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Agree, foam to foam, hot glue is fine. I can,t see using hot glue to splice the spars together on this one. It uses nearly 4 pounds of battery.
Henry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	151079  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Exclamation

Hi
Adhesives used for our model building
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform.../adhesives.htm
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Agree, foam to foam, hot glue is fine. I can,t see using hot glue to splice the spars together on this one. It uses nearly 4 pounds of battery.
Henry
Agree - plain old yellow carpenters glue is best for that!

I use Epoxy on metal to wood bonds.

I use CA for quick builds balsa to balsa and lite ply. Also use it for when you need it to wick (CA hinges and such).

I use yellow (carpenters glue) for large stick builds. It is stronger than about anything and is cheap and no fumes.

I use Epoxy on wood to wood bonds when you don't want the wood to swell - like gluing joiners in the box (yellow is plenty strong but the wood tends to expand and can cause the piece to not fit!).

I use Gorilla glue on foamies and when I need the gap filling ability (and don't need to sand - it is a PAIN to sand.

I have never used hot glue - but it sounds like I should give it a try.

Mike
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Hot glue also works well for attaching CF struts on little foamies, say from the fuse to a wing tip, you can use a single bead of glue to hold two or three struts that are angled to different points on the plane. Just don't get carried away with how much you use as it relatively heavy

I think there are also a couple different types of hot glue that apply at different temperature. You need to use the low temp stuff to make sure you do not damage the foam.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
sadman

I'm new to not only hot glue, but flying too
I've used hot glue a lot since I saw a youtube vid of a guy doing repairs on a hawk sky.
I agree hot glue is excellent for foam to foam, even large areas (of which I've had a few.....)
I've had less success glueing a plastic control horn back together and I tried glueing a strip of velcro to a battery without much success.
So I have a few different glues but I would champion hot glue with foam.
As a tip - if you repeatedly move the hot gun head over the area you have added glue to, it prevents the glue from beginning to set before you have a chance to cover the whole area.
I'm pretty good with hot glue now
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Henry
I should have quantified that statement.
When glueing foam to foam it is as strong.
When using either, the foam will fail before the join.
Therefore performance is the same.
That being said I don't think id ever use it for firewals or motor mounts or any joining of balsa.
This all about adhering foam to foam though. That's why I put this thread in the foamies forum.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Henry Sistrunk

That's my point exactly. I should have been more clear in my response. I hope I didn't cause any hard feelings.
Thanks Henry
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

That's my point exactly. I should have been more clear in my response. I hope I didn't cause any hard feelings.
Thanks Henry
No worries. There's no such thing as hard feelings around here.
People talk. People debate. But I honestly don't think there is any kind of any animosity anywhere on this board. Unlike other forums I know of where it appears to be one long drawn out soap opera. Lol
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I actually have a plane (Hyperflea) that uses hot glue as a hinge joint
Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I don't use much hot glue. I went out last week and flew one of my models and the stupid heat and sun (105 degrees, clear skies) loosened up some of my hot glue.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
sadman

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I don't use much hot glue. I went out last week and flew one of my models and the stupid heat and sun (105 degrees, clear skies) loosened up some of my hot glue.
sorry to hear that
Its safe to say that's highly unlikely here in Scotland
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by sadman View Post
sorry to hear that
Its safe to say that's highly unlikely here in Scotland
Nor where I am. We rarely get days in the eighties around here.
The only time it can be a problem is if left in a car in the sun.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Hot glue is nice for fast build or repairs. You can use the high temp guns to "weld" the foam together just don't melt the foam too much. Lay down a nice bead and allow the foam to slightly melt. One word of caution with hot glue, especially the low temp. During the hot summer months it can remelt the glue, causing catastrophic failure..don't ask me how I know.

EDIT: just noticed someone else mentioned the remelting
Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 AM
M@!

I hot glued the bracing on my fancy foam freestyle. I couldn't figure out why they kept coming loose. That is until I remembered it was 100 degrees out.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

I've just discovered hot glue when I used it to build my first sheet depron foam " Nutball" build. To me the whole process of building the plane in two hours from start to finish was a revelation. The main reason for the speed of build was the use of hot glue. To be able to score, fold and then infill the joint with a hot glue bead makes amazingly quick builds.
It may not be as strong as epoxy but as was mentioned previously any adhesive is only as strong as the material its bonded to. I also used it to bond the stick mount to the foam as well as that is one part of the plane that I don't want to stay attached in a crash. I'd rather it broke away and saved major damage. The gun takes some getting used to but I wish I'd tried this years ago.
I wish it was warm enough here to melt hot glue. No chance, just some sunshine would be nice.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

I've used hot melt glue on several builds including my current Swift II and Mini Swift and it's fine. I used it extensively to repair my Hawk Sky when I first started learning to fly and it worked well.
A little tip - if you're attaching something like a control horn or any flat plate to foam, drill a few holes in the plate that touches the foam. That way when you place the two surfaces together the glue will ooze through the holes in the plate and effectively rivet the two items together.
I've used this method on the motor mount on the Swift II and it works fine swinging an 8" prop.
I use GF reinforced tape as strapping and covering for the LEDs on my wings and I find applying a slight smear of hot melt glue to the edges and working it in using the tip of the gun helps to prevent any peeling of the tape.
Another great development is battery powered hot melt guns, ideal for taking to the field for fast on site repairs
One annoying thing though - the glue can produce fine threads as you lift the gun away from the surface, take care because these things can wrap around motor shafts etc and can jam things!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

"One annoying thing though - the glue can produce fine threads as you lift the gun away from the surface, take care because these things can wrap around motor shafts etc and can jam things![/QUOTE]"

I noticed that very quickly Dave. nearly got tied in knots to start with.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Yep, and the more you pull the more it stretches and stretches and stretches!!!

Quick Reply: Hot Glue?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15398 seconds with 14 queries