Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Ready to give fixed pitch a try, what should I get?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Cool Ready to give fixed pitch a try, what should I get?

Okay, so I think I'm ready for a step up. Right now I have been flying coaxials for awhile and I have the hang of them pretty well. I am ready to give fixed pitch a try now and am looking for some advice on which helicopter I should graduate into.

The problem is my budget is pretty tight, I am in the midst of getting married in September so between that and bills there isn't a lot to spare for my hobby. From what I've read I need to get the biggest heli I can for stability and outdoor flight but with size comes price...right?

I would obviously love to have a Trex 250 but I can't afford the $450 price tag that comes with it and I also don't think I should spend that much on my first fixed pitch anyways. So I have been looking at the Blade 120 SR and I like it and wanted some opinions from the experts here. It is bigger than my little Blade mCX2 coaxial by almost double which is good and I should be able to get some outdoor flight with it on some calm summer days. What do you all think? Would you recommend that one or another heli? I don't want to spend more than $150-200 and that would need to include the remote.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but can I not bind the 120 SR to the stock remote that came with my mCX2 or do I need a different remote for that heli?

I am really looking for advice from you all to get the best bang for my buck really. I would like the best fixed pitch I can get for my money and so far the biggest helicopter that I've found in my price range has been the E-flite Blade 120 SR but I am open to suggestions if anyone has them.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Easy, the Eflite Blade mSR
Old 03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

the blade 120sr has proven to be very durable for me. agile too. winds under 5 MPH its great outside. fun to scoot around the living room as well.

i would assume your transmitter would bind just fine. both are 4 channel helicopters.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Easy, the Eflite Blade mSR
I looked at the mSR but it's really not any bigger than mCX2. I'd like to add a little size into the mix if I can so I can take it outdoors for some fun. I know when I am flying my little mCX2 in the gym and I get to the far end I have a hard time judging distance because it's so small so I know the mSR would be the same. I like the mSR but I'd like to get something a little bigger which was why I was wondering about the 120 SR
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
From your criteria i would recomend the SR 120
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

What about either of these:

4 CH 2.4GHz Walkera 4G1B
4 CH Esky 2.4GHz Red Honey Bee V2

I've not done much research on anything but Eflite heli's, I have heard of these others though and the Honey Bee does look nice and it has the size I'm after. Thoughts, has anyone flown either of these or any variations?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by calldaffer View Post
What about either of these:

4 CH 2.4GHz Walkera 4G1B
4 CH Esky 2.4GHz Red Honey Bee V2

I've not done much research on anything but Eflite heli's, I have heard of these others though and the Honey Bee does look nice and it has the size I'm after. Thoughts, has anyone flown either of these or any variations?
Hi
Both are nice fp helis but will need tweaking and in some cases mods to fly well
Their more for the pilot with some experiance setting up helis properly
Eflite Blades lives up to there ready to fly philosophy
Ive not had to do much to my Blades to have them fly well
I have the MSR CX and CP Pro from Eflite
Have manyhelis in my hanger and i would recomend a Blade first and foremost followed Align and the Trexs
http://www.rchangout.com/forums/album.php?albumid=24
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I don't blame you on going to the larger size for outdoors, but they are correct, the MSR is unbeatable, found it to be an increadible stable FP flyer, for its cost a bargain as well.

I've flown the larger CP and FP helis, just me but huge mistake, crash them like match sticks, but I'll get there eventually.

Having success with the Novus 125 FP, trying some micro CP as well. The 125 flys heavy for a small bird but not a choice for outside. I'm going to get the full orientation down completely and back to CP again. MSR, its a breeze my orientation 100 percent held, flys like a champ, my only complaint is that puppies too stable, hah....
One thing I'm finally discovering on the helis, you fly, fly, then fly more. Hang in there !

Goold luck on your choice, meanwhile I don't care if it rains, windy, too cold, I'm quite comfortable having loads of action inside, but each to our own...
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

how about both? I actually just ordered the 120 SR. I have been debating all day long between the mSR and the 120 SR but I decided to go with the slightly bigger model. I'll just take it slow and easy with it. Went with the BNF, and I'll just bind it with my stock remote that came with my mCX2. Eventually I'd like to get a better remote but for now it will do. Thanks everyone for the help and I think at some point I will pick up the mSR too. After all your input I watched a lot of footage on it and it looks like a fun heli and I want it now but for now we'll see how the 120 works out. I'm not sure how much outdoor flight time I'll get but it will be much easier flying it in the gym
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Okay, so I think I'm ready for a step up. Right now I have been flying coaxials for awhile and I have the hang of them pretty well. I am ready to give fixed pitch a try now and am looking for some advice on which helicopter I should graduate into.

The problem is my budget is pretty tight, I am in the midst of getting married in September so between that and bills there isn't a lot to spare for my hobby. From what I've read I need to get the biggest heli I can for stability and outdoor flight but with size comes price...right?

I would obviously love to have a Trex 250 but I can't afford the $450 price tag that comes with it and I also don't think I should spend that much on my first fixed pitch anyways. So I have been looking at the Blade 120 SR and I like it and wanted some opinions from the experts here. It is bigger than my little Blade mCX2 coaxial by almost double which is good and I should be able to get some outdoor flight with it on some calm summer days. What do you all think? Would you recommend that one or another heli? I don't want to spend more than $150-200 and that would need to include the remote.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but can I not bind the 120 SR to the stock remote that came with my mCX2 or do I need a different remote for that heli?

I am really looking for advice from you all to get the best bang for my buck really. I would like the best fixed pitch I can get for my money and so far the biggest helicopter that I've found in my price range has been the E-flite Blade 120 SR but I am open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Hi Calldaffer Welcome to Wattflyers, IMHO if you want to have a lot of fun In this Wonderful Hobby and Be able to Afford some really nice Helis, Then, DONT GET MARRIED LOL, Just Kidding, Take care and have fun, Chellie *********** Im Bad *********

Last edited by CHELLIE; 03-31-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Calldaffer Welcome to Wattflyers, IMHO if you want to have a lot of fun In this Wonderful Hobby and Be able to Afford some really nice Helis, Then, DONT GET MARRIED LOL, Just Kidding, Take care and have fun, Chellie *********** Im Bad *********

Yeah, aint that the truth! Too late though, she already has me. At least we both get to budget in some money into our hobbies still. She puts up with me buzzing my helicopters around her head in the apartment so I guess it's only fair I put up with her getting new shoes from time to time
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yeah, aint that the truth! Too late though, she already has me. At least we both get to budget in some money into our hobbies still. She puts up with me buzzing my helicopters around her head in the apartment so I guess it's only fair I put up with her getting new shoes from time to time
Hi Chris Check out this RTF Heli, its bigger and easy to see, Beginner friendly, and at a great price, check out the reviews on it I think you will like it, and dont limit yourself with a FP, IMHO FP is harder to Fly than a CP, I have had both, Take care, Chellie

http://www.xheli.com/exrcg2brrche.html

http://www.xheli.com/exrcg2brrche.html#scProductReviews

exceed g2
March 6, 2011

Reviewer: tiny

This heli is.the.bomb.it does everything. And.anything. that a heli could.do.im very happy with this heli. Simulator. Took a bit but after a few months of practice. I got good
1 of 1 people found this review helpful
Was this review helpful to you? Yes / No

wow!
March 4, 2011

Reviewer: yar

i have been flying for a while bout 3yrs i have tried many CP helis and i'm blown away with this one. as it says RTF outta the box just had to trim the rudder slightly that's it. and i was flying. i have never tried 3D flying so on my first attempt i was inverted easily and had it mastered in a day' i use a 2200 MAH battery so it takes care of having to weigh down the front end and i get 12 to 15 min of flite time' smoooooooken!!! for beginners great heli hover so easily anyone can do it. OK that's it peace out!
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwHY87bVTY[/media]
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

You all are really bad on my checkbook! I have the 120 SR on the way but that one looks rather fun too Chellie, I'll add it to my wish list. I kind of want the mSR now too. What's crazy is I have my future father in law already building me a shelving system to hold all these future helicopters. The new 120 SR makes heli #3 and I see no end in sight. Very addictive and I've been considering giving planes a try too.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

You all are really bad on my checkbook! I have the 120 SR on the way but that one looks rather fun too Chellie, I'll add it to my wish list. I kind of want the mSR now too. What's crazy is I have my future father in law already building me a shelving system to hold all these future helicopters. The new 120 SR makes heli #3 and I see no end in sight. Very addictive and I've been considering giving planes a try too.
You will love planes, they are cheaper than helis LOL I have a 30 Size glow Heli to put together, its a Century Swift 16, I have a lot of irons in the fire , Take care, Chellie

Swift 16
30 Size Electric RC Helicopter

Swift 16 Home Detailed Photos Instruction Manual Power Combos Replacement Parts Required Parts Upgrades & Accessories * Fiberglass canopy, carbon fiber main blades, and machined CNC parts shown above are optional.</SPAN>
Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Chris Check out this RTF Heli, its bigger and easy to see, Beginner friendly, and at a great price, check out the reviews on it I think you will like it, and dont limit yourself with a FP, IMHO FP is harder to Fly than a CP, I have had both, Take care, Chellie

http://www.xheli.com/exrcg2brrche.html

http://www.xheli.com/exrcg2brrche.html#scProductReviews

exceed g2
March 6, 2011

Reviewer: tiny

This heli is.the.bomb.it does everything. And.anything. that a heli could.do.im very happy with this heli. Simulator. Took a bit but after a few months of practice. I got good
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

wow!
March 4, 2011

Reviewer: yar

i have been flying for a while bout 3yrs i have tried many CP helis and i'm blown away with this one. as it says RTF outta the box just had to trim the rudder slightly that's it. and i was flying. i have never tried 3D flying so on my first attempt i was inverted easily and had it mastered in a day' i use a 2200 MAH battery so it takes care of having to weigh down the front end and i get 12 to 15 min of flite time' smoooooooken!!! for beginners great heli hover so easily anyone can do it. OK that's it peace out!
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
Hi Chellie
I have one and i agree shes a wonderful CP heli
Heres mine
Do enjoy
And imho Cp is much harder, I started and learned on a CP Pro Now i can fly any heli out there CP FP Coax
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

keep in mind parts availability. both of my lhs shops do blade parts so brand was a no-brainer for me.

i flew the mcx a couple times (it was intimidating at first). it does a great job with teaching you throttle control. i bought the 120sr and it was very intimidating at first. keep at it and don't go slamming the sticks with it outside (it can pickup speed fast and get out of control). the 120sr has a 45 degree flybar, which will make it always want to pull to one side in faster forward flight (i think left...don't notice it anymore). the 45 is there to give stability in hovering which is a good thing.

i think helimax novus makes a similar unit with 90 degree flybar. maybe look at that one too.

the msr looks to be a blast indoors...maybe i'll get one of the Aircraft Only mSR helis one day.

once you get comfortable with the 120sr, you'll likely find yourself wanting something more. hold off on that purchase. go back and make sure you can do the basics (nose in, side hovering, backwards flight, banked turns backwards, etc).

i wouldn't suggest you get any of the eflite collective pitch helis. i just think they are marked up too much. i built an hk450 for a couple hundred bucks. i love it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
keep in mind parts availability. both of my lhs shops do blade parts so brand was a no-brainer for me.

i flew the mcx a couple times (it was intimidating at first). it does a great job with teaching you throttle control. i bought the 120sr and it was very intimidating at first. keep at it and don't go slamming the sticks with it outside (it can pickup speed fast and get out of control). the 120sr has a 45 degree flybar, which will make it always want to pull to one side in faster forward flight (i think left...don't notice it anymore). the 45 is there to give stability in hovering which is a good thing.

i think helimax novus makes a similar unit with 90 degree flybar. maybe look at that one too.

the msr looks to be a blast indoors...maybe i'll get one of the Aircraft Only mSR helis one day.

once you get comfortable with the 120sr, you'll likely find yourself wanting something more. hold off on that purchase. go back and make sure you can do the basics (nose in, side hovering, backwards flight, banked turns backwards, etc).

i wouldn't suggest you get any of the eflite collective pitch helis. i just think they are marked up too much. i built an hk450 for a couple hundred bucks. i love it.
Hi
Yes do you wont regret it
At last count i have over 40 helis of different types in my hanger
And my MSR has become a daily driver and is one of my favorite ones, she has hundreds of hours flight time on her and still going strong
Heres a small clip pf mine
Do enjoy
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMLXFtoJaA8[/media]
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Hank I started out with a Picollo heli, talk about a hard heli to fly LOL
then i got the Shogun 400 from hobby people, i should have gotten the trex 450, but the shogun was cheaper The shogun is the same as the walkera 36 heli. that CP heli was much easier to fly than the FP heli, and now i have a 30 nitro size swift 16 heli, that i need to get together Take care, Chellie

picollo heli

shogun 400

century swift 16

Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Okay, my 120 SR came in at the hobby shop today. I picked it up along wth a spare set of blades and a tail rotor and 2 extra batteries. I have all the batteries all charged up and just got the heli binded to my mcx2 transmitter. Now I'm scared to fly it lol. Actually I'm no scared to fly it, there just isn't room in the apartment to do it and it's to windy outside right now. I'm hoping this evening before dark the wind will die down so I can get a few minutes flight time with it. I'm itching to get it a few a feet off the ground at least but I'm not going to get all crazy with it. Slow and easy for awhile.

Last edited by calldaffer; 04-02-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Okay, my 120 SR came in at the hobby shop today. I picked it up along wth a spare set of blades and a tail rotor and 2 extra batteries. I have all the batteries all charged up and just got the heli binded to my mcx2 transmitter. Now I'm scared to fly it lol. Actually I'm no scared to fly it, there just isn't room in the apartment to do it and it's to windy outside right now. I'm hoping this evening before dark the wind will die down so I can get a few minutes flight time with it. I'm itching to get it a few a few feet off te ground at least but I'm not going to get all crazy with it. Slow and easy for awhile.
Hi
Congratulations
Thats a very sound plan, take it nice slow and easy
Before long you will be tearing up the skies
May she bring you much joy in the years to come
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

if you notice it hovers at a slight angle...that is normal. i bought a spare tail blade and have yet to need it. i've snagged it several times w/o damage. very bendy. i had to change the main blades after my son shot it with his r/c tank...he thought it was funny.

oh, checkout the landing gear peg...the one by your servo gear. you need to nip that off flush so that a rough landing doesn't force the landing gear peg up into your servo. there is a metal rod inside the plastic peg...gotta use nippers or a dremel. the skids slide out...friction fit.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 AM
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
if you notice it hovers at a slight angle...that is normal. i bought a spare tail blade and have yet to need it. i've snagged it several times w/o damage. very bendy. i had to change the main blades after my son shot it with his r/c tank...he thought it was funny.

oh, checkout the landing gear peg...the one by your servo gear. you need to nip that off flush so that a rough landing doesn't force the landing gear peg up into your servo. there is a metal rod inside the plastic peg...gotta use nippers or a dremel. the skids slide out...friction fit.

Thanks, I'll look at the landing gear in the morning.