Europe For our RC brethren across the pond.

"Project Globetrotter"

Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Thanks Jim.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Just a few thoughts.....I signed on to be a part of WG1 knowing I would incur some costs, whether they be shipping or travel. Most others signed on with the same understanding.

I also signed on just because Stink had a good idea and I thought it would be fun to be involved. I did not sigh on to set a Guinness Record, or to beat someone else to the punch or benefit some company. If that happens, great, but that is now why I am involved. If this gets to be such a involved deal, it won't happen because it will be dragged down by its own weight.

Lets just keep it simple, the way Stink envisioned it in the beginning, and get it going. I would like to fly WG1 before I die of old age, waiting for the minute details to be worked out.

If the shipping costs are a problem for some, they could opt out. As stated earlier, I would contribute funds to the purchase of WG1 or to subsidizing the long haul shipping legs. I would do this by sending the funds to Stink for distribution to the specific pilots who have to ship over the ocean.

This is Stinks idea, he came up with it so let him make the decisions. I for one believe he is doing a great job. Lets not take the fun out of WG1.
I Totally Agree with you Rabbitcreekok.

Stinkweed007,
Your doing a Heck of a job steering this project of yours. I for one am very content to have you at the helm and in control .

Carry On,
Slowjohn
Old 05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Hey Stink I just read this thread, its a great idea! Count me in. I live in Western Pennsylvania near pittsburgh. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Slowjohn.. Really.. thanks for the boost.

Tinman.. I knew it would jest be a matter of time before you jumped on!

Hey.. you dont happen to get to Shippensberg or Wilks-Barre do you?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

hah took me a while to find the thread, but I found it in the signatures of the participants

Yeah i've been to Wilkes-Borough (im not sure how to spell it) not to far from me actually.

I've been to Shippingsport its right down the road, I dont know if thats what your reffering to though.... Good times
Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Kool.. Im going to PM you about why I asked!!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

To quote Stink "I am interested in the project.. I want to see it happen, and I want to know that I was a part of it."
Thats EXACTLY why I wanted in, and why I added this thread to my sig, and why I PM'd people who I thought would be intrested ( some of whom just HAPPENED to live in Japan). This is your baby Stink, and as such I feel it's your show. I, for one, have NO PROBLEM mailing you funds to re-distrubute as you see fit. I personally COULD NOT CARE ANY LESS about other groups or records-- I just want in . If Stink wants to wait a bit, I'll wait. If he want's to mail it out tomorrow, so much the better. I just think it would be SOOOO cool to fly a plane that was in so many places, flown by so many people. Any I would like to get the chance to leaf through the pictures and see some of my fellow Wattflyers, as well as where they live and fly. And correct me if I'm wrong Stink, but didn't this start out as a kind of "thank you for this forum, and all the help / ideas that come from it".
Old 05-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
Kool.. Im going to PM you about why I asked!!
sounds good
Old 05-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default For the Record

Just a few thoughts.....I signed on to be a part of WG1 knowing I would incur some costs, whether they be shipping or travel. Most others signed on with the same understanding.

I also signed on just because Stink had a good idea and I thought it would be fun to be involved. I did not sigh on to set a Guinness Record, or to beat someone else to the punch or benefit some company. If that happens, great, but that is now why I am involved. If this gets to be such a involved deal, it won't happen because it will be dragged down by its own weight.

Lets just keep it simple, the way Stink envisioned it in the beginning, and get it going. I would like to fly WG1 before I die of old age, waiting for the minute details to be worked out.

If the shipping costs are a problem for some, they could opt out. As stated earlier, I would contribute funds to the purchase of WG1 or to subsidizing the long haul shipping legs. I would do this by sending the funds to Stink for distribution to the specific pilots who have to ship over the ocean.

This is Stinks idea, he came up with it so let him make the decisions. I for one believe he is doing a great job. Lets not take the fun out of WG1.
Just to clarify guys, I'm only trying to help address the necessary details, nothing more, I deal with people all day in my regular line of work, where details not addressed usually come back to haunt them. To me, personally, it's not a huge project, I've imported/exported plenty and know the hassle it can be at times. So don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to run anybodies show, and agree with how it was originally intended, a simple grass roots type of project with nothing to clutter up the situation or detract from the original concept, which as you stated, just supposed to be a bunch of us flying one plane, taking photo's and sending it onto the next pilot. Adding Guinness into the equasion and having another forum compete in a similar manner naturally adds more into the equasion, and I also didn't join up for that purpose as well, but since it's already on the table, might as well address the extra issues incurred due to that.

I think SW does understand my point of view, I just should clarify to some of the others here, this stuff is not ovewhelming to accompolish, it just takes a little organization and a full understanding of what has to be addressed, and like any large project, you cover each detail one step at a time so that eventually everything comes together with no loose ends to address after the fact.

So, as SW said early on, we need more participants, his next obstical to overcome is the shipping costs, that we can get a base working formula with real $ figures to work with only when we have enough members locked in place, this way you can just go to the carriers web site, plug in the necessary data, what, where, weight, dimensions, etc. and we have tangable figures to work with, until that point, it's going to remain up in the air.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing this one get started.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Sauce,

please dont take this as a question.

Yes, there are thousands of individual issues surrounding this project.. just as there are thousands of individual issues surrounding the normal pilot wanting to go to his field alone on the weekend. from sick children to the Department of Homeland Security.From spouses who want the pilot to pick up shoelaces and a TV guide to Police helicopters en-route to a scene..

I too deal with people in 3 languages and 6 countries on a daily basis. I coordinate things sometimes on a massive scale just so one little green light blinks in some far away office.. I've been in 3 wars and I'm still here.. so please understand that I know when and what issues need to be addressed and how.. I also know which ones just cause people to spin their wheels.

to quote one of my hero's. James Lovell - Apollo 13 Commander "if we trained for all possible scenerios, I would still be at the Cape training for the mission" which is a way of proving, deal with the important stuff and if something comes up, we'll get on it then.. They all came back alive.

there are currently 30 other pilots who understand the process of this project. I know I can count on them to move WG1 along without fail.. even if one blows a tire on the way to the post office..

So Brian, please, your heavy concerns about rare situations are starting to drown the thread. If you have a concern I would like to request that you PM it to me. I can assure I will address the issue.

Tim

Last edited by stinkweed007; 05-08-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Well said Tim, or as we say down here "Good on ya Mate"
Old 05-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

A wiseman once said "if want to appear intelligent think of something stupid to say and then keep your mouth shut".

Well here comes the stupid bit.

I would just like to set the record straight about the 'costs' that may be incurred by individual pilots. I have seen no other pilots from the African continent come forward so I am assuming that it is possible that I may have to ship WG1 to Australia.

Courier companies also work on volumetric weight which is determined by the size of the parcel. Last shipment I had from the USA was a 15x8 3 blade prop which set me back $118-00 USD. Pretty expensive you say - well figure this, I paid in USD and my salary (pittance) converts to $850-00 USD per month.

Now I definitely do not want to opt out by any means, but I also have to put bread on the table and THAT will be a deciding factor.

I love the idea and if Stink can in any way spread the burden of the 'costs' I am all for that.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Geoff.. now theres a healthy concern. When WG1 gets to you, you can be certian that assistance will come your way quickly!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi Stink

Sort of thought that would be the case - Thanks.

Didn't really want to go public on that one but thought some guys should know what the consequences could be. Imagine WG1 gets stuck somewhere due to shipping costs.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Geoff,
It has been a hot topic. Im still waiting on FedEx and UPS about a possible deal..
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Hey you-all I just been talking to Geoff in Pt Elizabeth Sth Africa , on SKYPE...........
any of you guys on Skype ??
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Geoff_Gino View Post
Now I definitely do not want to opt out by any means, but I also have to put bread on the table and THAT will be a deciding factor.

I love the idea and if Stink can in any way spread the burden of the 'costs' I am all for that.
There are enough resources within the participant list to prevent a burden on anyone. You may be the only participant on your continent, - you will not be alone on this...besides - - - we need Africa!!!

it will get sorted out, all things do
Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Kat
Pyromaniac

"it will get sorted out, all things do "
but some more difficulty than others.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Exactly as Dave said.. you may be alone in your corner of the world, but you are not alone in the project!!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
bluejay

I agree that you will not have to pay a disporportionate share of this shipping expense. If you knew how many military and ex- military types you are dealing with, who have learned one thing in life (at least) ,you will come to understand that you will not be left behind I for one will assist your shipping charges.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:33 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

If you will trust my flyiing ability I would like to play too....
I'm in Alabamer....
I'll keep watching for what you guys decide..
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
If you will trust my flyiing ability I would like to play too....
I'm in Alabamer....
I'll keep watching for what you guys decide..
with a Banjo on his knee!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Hemphogg
North Of The Border

Default Hey Guys

Hey Guys..

I'm pretty new to the site but this really sounds like something that would be fun to be part of.. I'm just outside Toronto in Canada.. I'd love to put a sticker from Canada on it eh... ..
Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi All

Thanks very much for all of the positive inputs and offers for assistance.
Sort of knew that it would be the case. There is a lot more of the good than there is of the bad.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Airhead... I was wondering when you were gonna get here...

Hemphogg... No way ey? another from the Great White North ey... Thanks for jumpin in!!

Don Says the Decals should be here real soon... and there is some talk from Guinness.. Were almost there!!

Quick Reply: "Project Globetrotter"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11468 seconds with 11 queries