Europe For our RC brethren across the pond.

"Project Globetrotter"

Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Love the project. Count me in. I could be put after GA-flyer, so local hand off is possible and then ship to Solid or whomever is in next in line.

We could do some special coverage here at WattFlyer. I have been researching some mods to add to the functionality of the site. One is a wikki style database that might fit perfect to document the journey. Everyone could add their own article with media and then the next person, etc etc.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:06 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

could this be something that Guiness record book would be interested in? I dont think this has been attempted before

[edit...all ready saw it was discussed]

<edit...i saw="" this="" mentioned="" earlier="">

<edit..already about="" talked="">

<edit...i about="" talked="" see="" you="" guys="" already="" this=""></edit...i></edit..already></edit...i>

Last edited by aviatordave; 05-04-2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
bluejay

I live in south central Colorado, near the town of Center. Since I live and fly at 8000"asl ,the flight would be just another historic event, not something I'd do at risk to the plane. So I'm really looking forward to partisipating. Thanks for including me.!!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
do we have anyone from South Africa or the North Atlantic? maybe Hawaii?
I sent a PM to Geoff Gino in South Africa. Hopefully he will get on board.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I sent a pm to a guy in Hong Kong & Hawaii

Last edited by aviatordave; 05-04-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Ive also been "spreading the word" on other forums ect , likehttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...505#post191505
read my bit at the end

Kgfly , No david murry's , PM me your address when the time comes
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Son of Paleface

Got to thinkin (ouch headpain) about the name of the plane...who was the FIRST to fly around the world , was it Whiley Post ??....I think it should be named in honour of that person
Old 05-05-2007, 03:41 AM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

Guy goes away for a few days and theres 5 pages. WOW. Going strong stink. As I said before I'll cover a Lady Liberty shot if no one is closer. Could also try to grab a shot above Vanderbuilts, Roosevelts, and Mills mansions if you'd like. I also PM'd a few.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Flyinghigh

This is going to take a long time! I got to fly the In the Tigermoth World Tour over 2 1/2 years ago and its still not finished yet!

Good Luck Guys! Be patient and stick with it,it will be worth it in the end.

Mike,
Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default 5 pages here !!!

5 pages of threads and it's just now an idea,... GPS is now in order to be installed, will save the logistix end addressing wise significantly.

Again, what a good idea !!!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Son of Paleface

Dont know if you like my Idea on the NAME for the plane , but I found this http://www.didyouknow.cd/aroundtheworld/flight.htm

I think "Wiley Post Flyer"
Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

ok... more info... get your coffee, this is a long post.

first off... Flyinhigh, just delivered a shot in the arm, I was not aware of the Tigermouth project.. Although RCgroups is similar WattFlyer, I don’t get over there much..

but it sounds like they had the original intent of going just through the 50 states, but have the international additions making it tough to glue together.

Globetrotter has but 1 clear goal, a plane around the world (and not in a big honkin wooden box that would cost $150 just to move across town) so since this is the plan from the get-go.. I believe we will succeed..!

Moving along...

As stated before, I contacted the Harlem Globetrotters about word usage, and Guinness. Guinness has not yet written back, but I did receive the following e-mail traffic from the World Famous Harlem Globetrotters
------
Me to the Globetrotters
sent 3 May 07

Dear Globetrotter Staff

My name is Timothy FitzGerald (aka Stinkweed007) and I have a copyright or trademark question.

I have embarked on a project along with a growing group of Radio Controlled Aircraft enthusiasts who frequent the WattFlyer.com online forum (hence the aka above).

This project is to send and fly an RC Airplane around the world, more or less.

I gave the project the name “Project Globetrotter” because of its Global travel theme.

My question is, to you, would that be any kind of infringement or misuse of the Globetrotter title? or does your organization only hold trademarks and copyrights to the title “Harlem Globetrotters”?

I can change the name at any time, and would have no problem doing so, I am just making sure I wont step on anyone’s toes. I have no intention on using any likeness' or images of the Harlem Globetrotters in this project, this basically comes down to word useage.

For information about this project, you can visit the public forum at
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19141

Please get back to me as soon as possible, because we will be kicking off the project real soon, so that I can either make changes or continue on with confidence.

Thank You
Fan since Medowlark Lemon and Curly
Timothy FitzGerald
--------

Brett Meister/Globetrotters to me
sent 4 May 07

Tim --

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

I have a few questions and concerns regarding your inquiry.

The term GLOBETROTTER might cause others to believe that your group somehow might be affiliated or sponsored by the actual Harlem Globetrotters. Our team does travel and provide shows around the world, and thus our mark has recognition and use in many countries.

It does not appear that your group would be offering any goods or services that would be related to anything that we are offering, unless you try to sell t-shirts or other items memorializing the event that might confuse or insinuate that we are affiliated.

Is this a small group of people or a project that will capture the attention of thousands?

Thanks,
Brett Meister
VP of Communications
--------

me to Brett Meister
sent 5 May 07
Brett,

First, Thank you for your fast response, as I said, I have been a Harlem Globetrotter fan since I was a boy.

I have organized this project in such a way that there will be no commercial involvement whatsoever. The aircraft I have selected is not even centered to any one individual company or manufacturer. The only “gains” this project will receive is the personal sense of accomplishment of all those involved, knowing that they will be part of a “one of a kind” and “First to do it” project. As well as the free WattFlyer web forum, but only in the sense that many will read and follow this project.

No tickets, T-shirts or any other merchandising will result from this project. The volunteer pilots of this project are a dedicated bunch only interested in the success of the feat, and the projects funding is coming out of each pilots pocket to get the plane to the next location.

I am trying my best to trim any angle which might involve the payment of royalties or other concessions to any commercial outfit. Which is also why I wrote to you. I don’t want to unintentionally step on any toes.

As far as attention gathering, I am not the administrator of the WattFlyer web site, however, public statistics displayed on the site as of today boast over 13,000 registered (free of charge) users on this site and growing. Possibly the same in unregistered “guest” readers daily. All having access to read, track and join in on this project at no cost. So the audience will/can be quite large.

If this is a cause for concern, again, please let me know so that I can make prompt and appropriate changes.

Although, when it gets to the NY/NJ area, wouldn’t it be great to have one or all of the team autograph it.

Thanks again for your response. I will tell the crew!
Timothy FitzGerald
--------------
Thanks Ya'll for spreadin the word.. Hopefully we will get responses from those remote locations!!!

SOP,

I read up on the plane you are referring to but I have to say, we need to keep this project under us.. if we throw around names, however respectful, that links us to things which may damage or lessen the impact of the project itself.. comparrisons will be made and people will focus more on the differences than the feat itself (ie the Wiley Post flew solo.. we are going to be 30+ pilots) Great idea but lets keep this around the crew at hand!

More later (gotta take my gal shopping )

Last edited by stinkweed007; 05-05-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 PM
tz250w

I suppose I could get a picture or two in front of the A-Bomb dome (they'd arrest me if I tried flying it there...) and a couple in the air at our scenic mountain field.

Max

Hiroshima
Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Konchiwa Max

Sounds like an awesome Idea.. but as you said, don't fly over it if local law prohibits it. Glad to have you on board!!!

I guess this would be a moment to tell all pilots, as Max pointed out, lets shy away from "pushing it" and trying for that un doable picture.. we are not Greepeace, we dont need to push Legality to gain Legitimacy...

Max, Do you have any other pals on the islands?

Flyinghigh Mike, do we count you in? ya didnt say...
Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Kat
Pyromaniac

I'm in. What if we got multiple wings? we could get more stickers.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Default Good Idea But...

I like that idea as I'm sure that getting stickers from everyplace in a 2"X2" size may be unreasonable or not able to be done at all. However would it still qualify as being the same aircraft that flew around the world if it winds up using 2 or 3 or more wings. Maybe a lg. sq. of vinyl rolled up and shipped with the plane to each location that would be used to place the stickers on. Then it could be displayed much like a Flag at whatever venue the plane would be displayed at.

SJ
Old 05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
fdix

Count me in!

South Switzerland
Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Balil
foam murderer :D

ive got 2 flat foamies that im gonna put together and add it to the box for those who fly 3d, they'll be white when they leave texas, and hopefully be several ounces heavier when they get to stinkweed.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:06 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Kat, another from Jersey!! Maybe you could team up with Marc, he will also be flying in Jersey!!

Fdix!! This project would not be complete without a Swiss Flag!!

Slowjohn, I like that idea, however I will be sending a flight log book where every pilot has a page, there, ya'll can Picaso your page (front and back) all you want!!

Balil, that will significantly increase the shipping weight, once batts and electrics for your flats are packed in.. Plus WGOne is a beginners plane more or less and that is to make sure that everyone is able to fly it at every stop. Thoughtful idea but I personally have been known to destroy 3D planes..
Old 05-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Opps, I must have missed the flight log book briefing.
SJ
Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Opps, I must have missed the flight log book briefing.
SJ
well.. I only lightly wrote about it in one of the other posts but it seems to be the way to organize the steps of the trip...

I will show a page example when I get it done.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Twizter68
I can't see my plane.....

Firemanbill, when it gets to me, do you just want to do a handoff? Be a good "excuse" for me to run up to your field....

Stink, I'll get a pic at the gate of NAS Oceana to go in the pack!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Grrrrroooooovy!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:45 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Europe Phase
Stinkweed007 Hessen Germany
Max2112 Bayern Germany
English Electric London England
R Kopka Graz Austria
fdix Switzerland

Downunder Phase
Booma Wellington New Zeland
Son of Paleface Adelaide Australia
MisterNiceGuy Sydney Australia
kgfly Melbourne Australia

Far East Phase
tz250w Hiroshima Japan

North America Phase
Riverman Calgary Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma Wa
EUT Carmichael CA
Bluejay SC Colorado
SkySharkster Denver CO
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Rabbitcreekok McAlester OK
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
Aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
Mike Parsons Atlanta GA
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Twizter68 Virginia Beach VA
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
K Close Upstate NY
Kat New Jersey
Admin New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trotter Map4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	30704  
Old 05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Twizter68
I can't see my plane.....

C'mon folks, spread the word! We need people in Russia, Africa, America Del Sur......

Quick Reply: "Project Globetrotter"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12209 seconds with 14 queries