Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

UMX Beast 3D

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
RMG

Default UMX Beast 3D

So as I mentioned in another thread I have been looking at this plane, and they are on backorder, but my LHS had 1 on the shelf and I took the plunge. Also got a Spektrum DX6I as I have been flying my ultra micro P51 with my blade MCX controller up til this point, and did not want to try the Beast with that.

Have to say I am not sure yet just how much is the plane/gyros, and how much is the DX6 (with exponential) but WOW. Took the 3D Beast out for a maiden today, and was so pleasantly surprised. Bound it last night and set the dual rates at 70% and expo at 35%, centered all control surfaces on the plane manually to zero before binding. As I am flying in a field did a hand toss at 3/4 throttle. The Beast pulled up with zero problem. Gained some altitude, and backed down a touch on throttle. The plane needed no trim adjustments. Flew straight and true. Next thing I noticed was just how stable it flew... rock solid. This plane is a joy to fly, very fun at full or near full throttle, and yet extremely easy to fly slowly as well.

The only weird thing I encountered was at level flight cruising I would get an occassional rapid wiggling on the wings. It was calm with maybe 4mph gusts... so wonder if was the gyro compensating for the gusts. If anyone has any experience with this system and can give input I'd love it. Otherwise the plane was incredible. Amazingly stable, SO much easier to fly than my UMP51, and beastly fast at full throttle. I'll report back in this thread after I have more flights about the wing wiggles.

My daughter (12) wants to learn to fly, and has logged some good simulator time. She may well be learning on the Beast because of it's stabilty.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Originally Posted by RMG View Post
So as I mentioned in another thread I have been looking at this plane, and they are on backorder, but my LHS had 1 on the shelf and I took the plunge. Also got a Spektrum DX6I as I have been flying my ultra micro P51 with my blade MCX controller up til this point, and did not want to try the Beast with that.

Have to say I am not sure yet just how much is the plane/gyros, and how much is the DX6 (with exponential) but WOW. Took the 3D Beast out for a maiden today, and was so pleasantly surprised. Bound it last night and set the dual rates at 70% and expo at 35%, centered all control surfaces on the plane manually to zero before binding. As I am flying in a field did a hand toss at 3/4 throttle. The Beast pulled up with zero problem. Gained some altitude, and backed down a touch on throttle. The plane needed no trim adjustments. Flew straight and true. Next thing I noticed was just how stable it flew... rock solid. This plane is a joy to fly, very fun at full or near full throttle, and yet extremely easy to fly slowly as well.

The only weird thing I encountered was at level flight cruising I would get an occassional rapid wiggling on the wings. It was calm with maybe 4mph gusts... so wonder if was the gyro compensating for the gusts. If anyone has any experience with this system and can give input I'd love it. Otherwise the plane was incredible. Amazingly stable, SO much easier to fly than my UMP51, and beastly fast at full throttle. I'll report back in this thread after I have more flights about the wing wiggles.

My daughter (12) wants to learn to fly, and has logged some good simulator time. She may well be learning on the Beast because of it's stabilty.
Hey, good report, RMG! On the sudden wiggling (ala the servos, I presume) did you, on plugging the battery in after powering the tranny, let her sit for a few seconds before any plane movements? In the manual I think it says to let the bird sit completely stable for maybe ten seconds after plugging in the battery before doing anything, for the AS3X to establish a "neutral" I guess. Anyway, I can tell this bird impressed you and now I can't wait to fly mine! Thanks!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:43 AM
RMG

Thanks Sakai

Yes.. I let it sit and let the gyro initialize, even shake it for a second.. sounds like RoboRC.

Well... flight #2 tonight right after work. Calmish conditions.. light breeze/gusts at 4 mph. First chance I've had in days, enough light for 1 battery, flying at dusk in a baseball field with big, ugly 50' concrete light posts circling the perimeter. Installed the battery as I did in the maiden, 3/4 throttle, and a hand toss. It pulled up at a 45 degree angle, and it keep wanting to climb into the sky. Figured I must have moved the battery too far back, but 3 clicks on down elevator trim fixed it. Again... wow.. what a pleasure to fly. Noticed the wing-wiggle one time, and was obvious it was reaction to a small gust. Flew beautifully, I do not really notice the gyros (except for the wiggle lol).. just the super stable flight (I assume this is what people mean when they say the AS3X planes fly "bigger" than they are). The performance aspect, even at 70% rates, saved me from a crash when flying inverted too low and then pulling an inverted loop that started to roll over. Being disorientated for a second I rolled back the wrong way and ended up pulling out about 3' over the field, too close. Honestly though, this plane will go into the ground if you lose focus but the performance and stability can help save you, a lot. Guess it is worth saying (again) the only other RC plane I have flown is my UMP51, which this plane is leaps ahead of.

Finally came in for a landing on the infield.. perfect touch, maybe a bit hot, and ended tipping on the nose gently, again lol. Now... my gripe.. amazing I can fly this plane 200' up and 100' out. Bring it back and fly it inverted over the field 5' up at full throttle, then bring it down in one piece.. but.. let me load it in the car, tap it on the door and I crease it's top aileron . For something so "BEAST" it can be so delicate. The only bad thing so far.

Ray

Last edited by RMG; 02-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 AM
RMG

So... lol.. update..

The wind.. this weekend we had some serious wind with Saturday being gusts to 40mph, and Sunday a steady 10-15mph with gusts to 20. The Beast 3D is supposed to be the best micro for the wind and I have seen vids with people flying it in 20-25 mph winds. Figured I need to see, after all I did buy it for the wind performance really, at least more than 3D.

Sunday AM.. winds a steady 12mph with gusts. I was thinking this is an awesome windy plane, but did not take into consideration I am still a newbie pilot. I had flown my UMP51 in winds a whooping 6mph or so (barely), but had never been in a wind above 10mph. Confidence in the plane... 3/4 throttle and up she goes. And up, and up, and up. The plane would go vertical by itself. Normal battery placement does not work in the wind I found. The nose has to push through and the battery should be forward into the wind.. a lot I'd say. Also all inputs are increased, though I might add it is really cool landing as you are flying totally still in the air.. hovering almost.

Yes the beast can fly in wind that would slam my P51 into the ground, but I would hardly call it fun. That said I will be flying it more in the wind to become a better windy pilot, but nothing compared to the pleasure of flying this plane trimmed out in calm winds.

Today at lunch did 2 quick flights in 6mph winds (still pushing my P51 micro around badly), and the beast handled it well, but not perfectly. Advice.. fly first 10 times on calm days before playing with any wind.

Still, it amazes me considering what I flew it in, and my skill level the plane is in one piece, or that it made it back at all. Still.. my car door has done more damage than any flight. Hope to get in 20 or so flights Wednesday... calm 3-5mph wind forecast and I am off work.

Ray

Last edited by RMG; 02-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM
RMG

Wednesday was a beautiful day, had my wife and daughter both out with me for some flights. Started at about 10:00am... wind a calm 2-3mph. Flew the Beast 3D first.. 2 times. Have I mentioned just how much I love this plane, lol, especially after Wednesday. Then switched over my DX6i to the UMP51, and put it up. Worth stating that this was my first flight with my DX6 and that plane. Up til now I had been flying it with the stock/RTF TX. Dual rates but no expo. The plane is not really any different with the better transmitter... rates set on 75% and 25% expo. Still fun, but twitchy, rolls/loops slow. BUT... as I now had flown 2 micros back to back (Beast 3D and the P51) I can easily compare them, and there is no comparision. Seems I will hardly be flying my mustang any longer, the beast simply destroys it. It is a beautiful pattern flyer, just as it is SO much more capable, add to that as the wind went up to 4-5mph the mustang was zero fun and constant attention to keep it from the ground with the wind, the Beast was barely effected. Then there is the simple stability factor as I mentioned before, the difference is incredible, and no this plane does not fly like a micro in anyway.

Cons.. Battery placement can be a touch challenging until you really get the hang of it. (The mustang it can only go where it goes, the beast is fully moveable). And... as I fly on grass fields I do not like landing gear. Every landing on grass ends in a gentle rollover. Last flight it rolled onto a small rock and dinged a spot on my lower wing leading edge. There is no protecting tape (thinking of adding but worried about CG issues).

Wing wiggles... I saw this on my first couple flights at full throttle level flight as I had mentioned earlier in the thread. I have not noticed it since except when I knew a breeze/gust was hitting the plane.

Batteries and flight times... I had read in a few places people were getting less than 5 minutes of flight time on this plane. The brushless motor, electronics, and double wing drag seem to push the limits of a 2 cell battery. Most of these people are running the stock recommended 2S 7.4V 180mAh LiPo from Eflite. I have never used this battery nor did I buy one. I have been running MadDog RC 200mAh 20c 2 cells and have had no problems. Flying at or just over 5 mins, still at full power.

I had intented this thread as one that we could discuss this plane and give opinions, but it has turned into a flight diary of The Beast and I, and I do not want to bore people with that. Please if anyone wants to add and gets this plane, pls feel free to add whatever, but for now I will not update it further unless something major occurs.

Good flights to you all.

Ray

Last edited by RMG; 02-16-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 PM
electricrc68

im thinking of maybe getting one of these after i master my t-28. do you think it would be a good idea? how much time do you have on the p-51 before flying the beast? i would also like to know, is there a huge difference between the fun factor of a brushless plane and a brushed plane?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 AM
RMG

Hi Electric.

I had maybe 25-30 flights on my UMP51 before flying the beast. Previous to that I did maybe 8-10 hrs on the FMS flight simulator. Aside from 15 yrs ago I have not flown a 4 channel RC plane before. Unless of course you count the 4 flights and 4 crashes on my old gas trainer I built to learn on, and gave up all those years ago (before rc flight sims came out). I cannot stress enough.. do simulator time.. FMS is totally free. From there I got my mustang.

Now.. if your are currently flying a micro T-28 well enough to do basic patterns, and land well consistently you are ready for the Beast 3D. Remember the 3D has the gyro, there is the original Beast without it, you want the 3D Beast. What you notice is a plane really so much easier to fly, and so much more enjoyable. The brushless motor.. well this is where it shines even more. As I say this plane at 1/2-2/3 throttle is rock solid, but at full it comes alive. Rolling like a laser instead of super slow, and not losing altitude (as your T-28 does). Pulling vertical and doing inverted loops easy as pie, and much, much faster than what you are used to... so yes, buckets of fun. Cut back throttle and you are back to the slow pattern stability that destroys any other micro.

All in what you use. Go slow and you'll do fine, yes I would recommend this plane for you next.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
electricrc68

Hi Electric.

I had maybe 25-30 flights on my UMP51 before flying the beast. Previous to that I did maybe 8-10 hrs on the FMS flight simulator. Aside from 15 yrs ago I have not flown a 4 channel RC plane before. Unless of course you count the 4 flights and 4 crashes on my old gas trainer I built to learn on, and gave up all those years ago (before rc flight sims came out). I cannot stress enough.. do simulator time.. FMS is totally free. From there I got my mustang.

Now.. if your are currently flying a micro T-28 well enough to do basic patterns, and land well consistently you are ready for the Beast 3D. Remember the 3D has the gyro, there is the original Beast without it, you want the 3D Beast. What you notice is a plane really so much easier to fly, and so much more enjoyable. The brushless motor.. well this is where it shines even more. As I say this plane at 1/2-2/3 throttle is rock solid, but at full it comes alive. Rolling like a laser instead of super slow, and not losing altitude (as your T-28 does). Pulling vertical and doing inverted loops easy as pie, and much, much faster than what you are used to... so yes, buckets of fun. Cut back throttle and you are back to the slow pattern stability that destroys any other micro.

All in what you use. Go slow and you'll do fine, yes I would recommend this plane for you next.
okay cool thanks for sharing! happy flying! oh i forgot to ask, how much space would you say is comfortable enough to fly one of these?

Last edited by electricrc68; 02-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Sakai's Freedom Flight

RMG, the Beast Man. Thanks for recommending sim time, first! Words to fly by, friend! Get the brain accustomed to the "opposite," oncoming flight reversal!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 PM
RMG

Electric...

Happy to share. Something as good as I found in this plane feel I have to lol. Please remember this plane will fly better than your micro T28 in everyway. It is more stable, more responsive, easier to fly in many ways also. The space is more an issue of the pilot skill than the plane. Also the sheer performance can save you where other micros would not. Personally I have a huge field near my home... size.. dunno, but HUGE (maybe 300 yards by 250). At work I have a large baseball field I fly in. That is a challenge because it is surrounded by 50' concrete light poles, and they can be a pain, but the responsiveness of the plane makes it doable. It is worth saying I have seen this plane flown indoors on a few videos. Comfortable is the right way to put it though, at first I would find the biggest field available so you have 1 less worry on your nerves for your first flights.

Sakai...

Man... you need to go fly that plane so we trade notes
Everyone that asks me I always recommend a minimum of 10 hrs on a sim before trying a 4 channel. I know for a fact that my sim time has saved both my planes, more than once. If not for that they would be in pieces. Sim time is crucial beyond description to me.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 AM
electricrc68

RMG- thanks! i guess that the beast may be making its way into my hangar! out of curiosity, do you plan on buying any other 2s brushless micro planes?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 AM
RMG

Read my mind huh lol. Already decided my next plane will be an SBach. I will miss the AS3X gyro setup though. Unless of course they do the gyros in a next generation SBach before I buy. Also would like a Parkzone P47 Thunderbolt and stepping up to a larger plane but then honestly the Beast 3D does many things that would not.

If you do get the Beast please post and let us know what you think. It is not that I want to sway anyone to this plane, but in all honesty I was shocked from the maiden that this small a plane could fly this sweetly. It has since lived up to that first impression in every way, and is better than I had hoped. Be sure to get a DX6i or better, and start with your rates at 65-70%, and expo 30-35% if you do.

Ray
Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Germanscott

Sounds like a cool plane, the technology should get really intresting in the future !
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 PM
electricrc68

Read my mind huh lol. Already decided my next plane will be an SBach. I will miss the AS3X gyro setup though. Unless of course they do the gyros in a next generation SBach before I buy. Also would like a Parkzone P47 Thunderbolt and stepping up to a larger plane but then honestly the Beast 3D does many things that would not.

If you do get the Beast please post and let us know what you think. It is not that I want to sway anyone to this plane, but in all honesty I was shocked from the maiden that this small a plane could fly this sweetly. It has since lived up to that first impression in every way, and is better than I had hoped. Be sure to get a DX6i or better, and start with your rates at 65-70%, and expo 30-35% if you do.

Ray
whoa an sbach!!! thats a fast little flyer! im going to be sticking to the micros since space here is limited. thank you for the dx6i settings...oh and i already have a dx6i.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 AM
Dragonflyer

Default Negative Dihedral

Picked up my Beast last Friday. Flew a half flight while trimming until it met with one of the bushes in the yard. Damaged the I-strut and pulled some flying wires loose.
Out of the box, before doing the damage, I noticed that both wings have a negative dihedral. After doing the repairs, same thing. Lay it flat, upside down, with the wings flat on the table and each wing tip is about 1/4" above the table. This is not right.

Has or does anyone else have this situation ?

Bill W.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
RMG

Dragon...

Welcome to the wonderful world of the B3D. The neg dihedral is perfectly normal... is supposed to be that way. Some CA on the carbon wires and the I-strut should fix it right up. The B3D is very responsive and fairly fast... so best to trim it with some altitude and of course zero wind. I do find because the battery placement is so flexible many times it will need a click this way or that from flight to flight.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
RMG

Well... It has been awhile since I posted, and a great time for an update. I have about 100 flights now on my B3D, and STILL LOVE this plane. Many great flights... many close calls, but she is one piece.. and has never crashed (though 1 hover that rolled over, and resulting wrong inputs from me did come very very close).

Too many stories to recount, but one I will share that was an awesome moment was a flight maybe 40 ago.. my local baseball field near work at lunch... was doing some acrobatics about 100' up and caught a dark shape at the corner of my vision. It came closer... glanced again.. I see a hawk.. cruising on the wind that has spotted the Beast and was now gliding in for a closer look. I pull up and roll over into him, and then we proceed to fly together... rolling around and literally playing in the air. This was an outstanding moment, and after about a moment he glided off... of course I went full throttle and did some rolls and loops.. quite fired up. I go back there on occasion (not my favorite field), and if he comes back to fly with me again I am buying a small camera to mount on the plane... be cool to have a hawks eye view, flying together (that would go on Youtube lol).

Otherwise.. so far.. about 50 flights in I started to develop a motor problem.. would run about 2/3 power and sound funny at times throughout the throttle range. Called Horizon and they shipped a new motor without issue. That actually is still in the bag it came in. Doing a lot of reading I decided to go another route. Some of you may know... there was an original Beast... and then they came out with the Beast 3D. The original had a different motor. If that version 1 motor is put in the 3D WITH a GWS 5043 prop the performance is seriously increased. You do have to use better batteries... I recommend Hyperion 240mah's, but the stock Eflite (junk) 180's will not work with this setup. The plane now flies as fast at 2/3 throttle as the stock setup at full throttle back to the wind. I can now do a flyby at 5'... pull straight vertical and roll.... and roll... and roll... until the plane literally disappears and you have to cut power because of loss of visibility. At 3/4 throttle it will pull vertical to about 150-200' and just hover.. it really is very impressive. Aside from that as I fly over grass and most landings are a gentle bounce with a easy rollover the vertical stabilizer popped out... 2 drops of hot glue.. repaired. The elevator will show stress and is best to reinforce with a 1mm carbon fiber rod right to the rear of the control horn. Plane has a sick amount of control surface throw for a micro, coupled with the ability to fly in 15 mph winds.. this is the one weak point.

This plane BTW has ruined me for any other micros.. my P51 is straight boring now.

Happy flights friends.

Ray
Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Awesome report, Ray. And thanks for the battery recommendation. Does Hyperion's battery connect to the Beast as is, or do you have to change the leads either on the battery or on the Beast?
Thanks again,
Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
RMG

Thanks Sakai good to see you. Have you had any flights on your B3D yet??

You want to be sure to buy the Hyperions with the UMX connector. This is where I ordered them, great to deal with, and had em in like 2 days (not to mention much cheaper and SO much better than the lower quality batteries at your local hobby store)...

http://www.empirerc.com/hyperion-g3-...or-p-6076.html

You can also get 180mah instead of the 240's.. better for 3D flying with the beast because of weight, but the 240's do give much better flying time. The 180's will work with the V1/5043 setup, but will only give about 3 mins 40secs of full throttle before LVC.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Thanks for that link, RMG. I put it on my "favorites" tab. I'm really liking the 240 for lazy, relaxed, straight-line, no hair-on-fire flying time in the near future. Family stuff right now and for near future.
Thank God for flying these little beasties! I'd go nuts without the hope of flying them soon again...... But......when
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 PM
zzcutter

hey just saw on you tube where a guy is running 3s on the micro beast anybody try it here was thinking i might
Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM
SigMan

does anyone have a pic of battery placement. i had mine forward, stuffed to the back and everywhere in between and still it dont fly very well. and im not a noob. thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Skyepuncher

No pic rite now, but the CG is supposed to be 19 mm. back from the leading edge of
the BOTTOM wing. On mine, that places the battery back under the cowl, & it`s
still a little nose-heavy.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Skyepuncher

Originally Posted by zzcutter View Post
hey just saw on you tube where a guy is running 3s on the micro beast anybody try it here was thinking i might
I was also wanting to try 3-S. I saw the vid You mentioned but can`t
find info on the battery itself, if there is one. The plane is a great flyer,
but doesn`t have the power to hang on the prop the way Horizon`s
vids show it. My plane, 2 batts, & HH charger are all new, but this
thing will barely climb out, let alone hover. I like it, yet I`m not
satisfied at all with the power, especially being brushless. Wish I`d
spent the money on something else
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM
mbarhsi

but.. let me load it in the car, tap it on the door and I crease it's top aileron . For something so "BEAST" it can be so delicate. The only bad thing so far.

Ray
Pro tip "just for Ray":

Use the FREE carrying case that came with the model. That would be called the "box".

Quick Reply: UMX Beast 3D

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12536 seconds with 12 queries