Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

How many cameras have you lost?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 PM
sdeblebo

Default How many cameras have you lost?

How many cameras have you lost while doing AP? It seems that putting a camera on radio controlled plane is going to involve some risk, but how much?

I have now lost two cameras (one after the Easystar crashed, the other when the Easystar when AWOL). Undettered I am now planning my next Easystar with third Canon IXUS camera.

Has anyone else lost a camera while doing AP?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I've been doing AP for a little over a year and not lost one yet. Maybe I'm too careful.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

With over 1000 AP flights, Zero camera loses or crashes. AWOL? Did you fly the plane so far away it lost radio signal? I have never had that happen to anything about the only thing I worry about is a servo failure in mid air. Its a rare day I would fly anything more than 100 yards away from me. If your plane is just a dot in the sky its simply too far away to be under your control. I have been up to dot hight a few time (with spotters) but only when its right overhead on calm days.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Errrr... I've been flying AP since September 9, 2004 -- so that makes 3 years and 2 months for me...

I have yet to lose a camera. :o

My advice -- ditch the Easy Star, and go with a Slow Stick. The Slow Stick is a very forgiving airframe, and a perfect platform for AP. (Personally, I'm about to put my camera on a Stryker, because I want something faster, with ailerons, and the prop BEHIND the camera -- lots more risk involved with the Stryker!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	city_of_faith_small.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	46214   Click image for larger version

Name:	jenks_small.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	46215  

Last edited by Lieutenant Loughead; 11-06-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I've done lots of AP flights over the last couple/three years. I've never lost anything, not even a washer, screw, or nut. I'm like Kosh, I fly close to myself and never really need to go over 3-400 feet high, higher than that and your subject loses its meaning.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
zakstang

one---was doing something i shouldnt have out over the water at the cabin this summer....i was a backup-ebay special camera so it wasnt a great loss...wish i woulda had video of it actualy
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 PM
kybrowns

I guess this is a good time to confess. My very first ap flight I didn't lose a camera but I think I damaged it. If you notice in a some of my pic and all of my videos you see what looks like finger prints. Well, their not finger prints just some type of damage my camera took during its first trip in the air.
I was flying my new wingo that probably wasn't balanced correctly, plus I had way to much power on it. That combination caused for some wild flying and to much stress on my cheap plastic servos. The wingo came down in a power dive that I could not get it out of. It had to be the most destructive crash a Wingo has ever seen. I say that because all wingos fly very slow and stable and you really have to do something really stupid to cause major damage. Well, I was really stupid and impatient which caused a horrible crash. I'm very thankful nobody was around for that flight.
I learned a valuable lesson pay extra for quality servos and be patient with new plane even beginner planes.

The pic of the crashed wingo was taken using the camera that was riding on it. You can't see any finger print marks on it there but you can see them easier with a light background. Video link shows finger print looking marks during a takeoff and landing on cricket field. Oh yea, I found a deal on a Soarstar which I love, its the samething as a Wingo as far as I can tell. I have built both! Thats what this video was shot with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDskvzwuqng

Name:	DSC00210 (Medium).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	46222  

Last edited by kybrowns; 11-07-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Knocking wood, I have never lost a camera. Chock it up to the excellent survivability to my Push-E-Cat.

Although it hasn't always been gravy. Here is my very first AV flight. It certainly could have been my last.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/users/muro...97d7f?index=32

Frank

PS If you decide you want to try out a different plane check out the PEC.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24167
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Ira

What Kosh said about keeping it in close. I have not lost or broken a camera yet but have tried very hard and hope to succeed eventually. Ira
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Aero Ace Ace

Lost one, in salt water after one of my Twinstar's ESCs cut out during a low altitude video flight. Not a pretty sight seeing her tossed around in the surf. The memory card survived.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 AM
sdeblebo

My Easystar went AWOL when it was flying quite high. A low flying jet came over and when I looked to see where the jet was I momentarily looked into the sun. Even though I was wearing sunglasses I had spots in front of my eyes and I couldn't spot the Easystar against the blue sky. By the time my eyes had cleared, the glider had drifted too far downwind to spot.

My name and address were on the plane, but I have yet to find it. The surrounding countryside is open farmland so it may turn up sometime, but the camera will have been damaged by the rain.

My next Easystar will have a red painted fuselage to make it more visible and I will not fly as high, or let the plane get too far away from me again!

Prior to this loss I have successfully flown about 50 flights without any damage to the camera. I have come to the conclusion that photos from about 100-200 feet are probably the optimum (but it is very hard to judge how high it is flying without telemetry).

I attach a photo taken of the West Sands in St Andrews showing the Old Course golf course. This is probably the highest photo I have taken.

Name:	west_sands.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	46262  

Last edited by sdeblebo; 11-07-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Blue wings against a blue sky is probably not a great combination. I have found that black with some splash of color on the bottom of the wings work well for visibility.

Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Excellent shot, Sdeblebo.

I read a study where they found that ORANGE is the most visible color in the sky, followed closely by RED. (I guess these are colors that are not naturally in the sky...)

As for the sun spots -- I've been exposed to that problem as well... I learned to look about 10 feet to one side of the airplane, and fly with peripheral vision until the sun spots clear. It's worked very well for me.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Sharp camcorder... elevator failure.
Casio Z57... receiver battery failure.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 PM
pablo27

Well I have only been flying with a camera mounted (Nikon 3700) for around a month and recently had my first 'heavy landing'. I flew with a new 2200mah LiPo and had not accounted for the extra nose weight compared to my usual 1700mah LiPo. The resulting impact has now caused an intermittent 'Lens error' message appearing on the camera.

Due to this I will definitely take more care in the future before flying with my camera mounted, as I have just about gotten away with it this time.

I have attatched a recent pre crash picture of the Rochester (UK) Motorway/Channel Tunnel rail link bridge, which spans the River Medway in Kent.

Name:	DSCN2012.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	46280  
Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 PM
bluejay

like pablo27, I had a less than perfect landing and broke the antenna off my video downlink. I t was still there. No losses other than that.