Airfoilz Edge 540 NX - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Airfoilz support forum Discuss Airfoilz products or ask for assistance on those products.

Airfoilz Edge 540 NX

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 AM
cyclingsarge

Default Decals

I cannot believe I left out that step when putting the decals on. I just work on my stuff at night and usually pretty tired when I am doing it. Just a brain fart on my behalf. I have all the electronics on it.

I screwed up the servo mounts on the rudder and i made the area too narrow and broke a piece of foam off and the plastic mount. Just fixed it with a popsicle stick by bridging the area and attaching the servo to the popcicle stick. It looks like crap but it is functional. The velcro straps for the battery did not go as smooth as I would have liked it.

I have a KD 22-20L and will turn an APC copy 10x5 prop from HK, HK SS 25amp ESC, AR6100, and Turnigy 1300 mAh 3s 25c batteries. Servos are the HXT 900s and from my experience they have proven to be more durable than the HiTec hs55s. AUW is 22 oz 620grams. Little heavier than I expected but I am not much of a 3d flyer and working on pattern flying.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 AM
cyclingsarge

Default picture of servo mount snafu

Here is my fix for the servo mount snafu i created. Picture taken with the Turnigy micro camera/DVR. Works fairly decent and cannot wait to try it on my maxi swift.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	117492   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	117493  
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Sarge

That's not too bad. Just put some white paint on the wood and it won't be as noticeable.

Anyone one else building? If so let us know.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Like Dave said, add a little white paint and that's a fine repair job.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Mine is a little weak in that area to Sarge. I used a 1/4x1/4 balsa block inside the cut out it seemed a little flimsy in that area. The wings I put a backer on the inside of the wings where the servos go another flimsy area.
Gave the servo screws somthing to bite into and I don't have to think about those plastic strips delaminating from the foam and a servo popping loose in flight.

Sarge looks great, I did a blunder myself I CA glued the graphite servo rods in place forgot to put on the shrink tube first. Now I have to run some thread around the metal and onto the graphite to help secure them together minor but still not paying attention doing the same thing at night and tired.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

It's hard to get motivated to work on anything that flies outdoors when it is so cold and miserable outside .

How much longer till spring
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I know the feeling I got my servo ext. from headsup yesterday, and I put them on last night, hooked up the RX to see where it will go, and that was it end of story.
It will be to cold, and windy for a maiden this weekend. Kinda like why bother rushing now to get her done. I need to get it out of the way so I can start a balsa build.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
It's hard to get motivated to work on anything that flies outdoors when it is so cold and miserable outside .

How much longer till spring
http://tinyurl.com/yhs92xy

Sorry guys, I had to rub it in

Yesterday was pretty good. I flew my Goldberg Extra at the glow field early, then after lunch three more flights on the Airfoilz at the rodeo grounds parking lot. Payson is home to the country's oldest continuous running annual rodeo. I found Bone Doc's thread on 3D over on RC Groups and started practicing harriers. I need some pretty calm wind with this plane.

My next step is to get my Specktrum module in my second tx and mount the AR6110e I have coming on the plane then move the ESC to the other side. That will make placing the battery easier. I also need to work on precise placement for cg (I'm pretty close) and how to mark the plane to make it accurately repeatable.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Na rub it in all ya want just glad someone is getting to use their plane.

Lets just keep away from telling me it's 50 degrees and sunny no wind we will be good.

Have you found any bad trait's to the plane or is it all good like I have read on other forums?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
I know the feeling I got my servo ext. from headsup yesterday, and I put them on last night, hooked up the RX to see where it will go, and that was it end of story.
It will be to cold, and windy for a maiden this weekend. Kinda like why bother rushing now to get her done. I need to get it out of the way so I can start a balsa build.
Don't do it Gramps. I was steady gettin her done until I took her off the bench. Now all I seem to want to do is work on my indoor foamies .

Originally Posted by av8djc View Post
http://tinyurl.com/yhs92xy

Sorry guys, I had to rub it in

Yesterday was pretty good. I flew my Goldberg Extra at the glow field early, then after lunch three more flights on the Airfoilz at the rodeo grounds parking lot. Payson is home to the country's oldest continuous running annual rodeo. I found Bone Doc's thread on 3D over on RC Groups and started practicing harriers. I need some pretty calm wind with this plane.

My next step is to get my Specktrum module in my second tx and mount the AR6110e I have coming on the plane then move the ESC to the other side. That will make placing the battery easier. I also need to work on precise placement for cg (I'm pretty close) and how to mark the plane to make it accurately repeatable.
Show off

It's 10 degrees outside with a wind chill of -4 right now . Looks like next week we should be back above freezing, maybe I can use that for motivation.

I was just out in the shop looking and I think I used the CF for the control rods on my buddies Yak :o. I could just use the same control rods I always make for my planes but I think I will buy another piece of carbon and make them like the instructions say. I use EZ connectors and they work great and are very convenient but...it is hard to make precision adjustments with them. I think I like the idea of being able to turn the clevises one or two turns at a time for fine tuning. Especially the ailerons.

So it looks like I need to brave the cold long enough to get down to the lhs.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

We really don't get much wind here but even with this nice weather system in here now the 2-5 mph winds really seem to blow this plane around. I'm just a raw beginner at 3D so my style is more pattern IMAC precision aerobatics and this light thing doesn't groove very well in any wind. It seems better with the 2200 batteries rather than the 1360's so a little more weight helps. But then this one is for me to learn 3D on so light is supposedly good. I'm still working on throws and rate adjustments to suit me and the more I fly it the better it is.

So bad traits? None yet just my bad thumbs
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

[/QUOTE]Show off

It's 10 degrees outside with a wind chill of -4 right now . Looks like next week we should be back above freezing, maybe I can use that for motivation.

I was just out in the shop looking and I think I used the CF for the control rods on my buddies Yak :o. I could just use the same control rods I always make for my planes but I think I will buy another piece of carbon and make them like the instructions say. I use EZ connectors and they work great and are very convenient but...it is hard to make precision adjustments with them. I think I like the idea of being able to turn the clevises one or two turns at a time for fine tuning. Especially the ailerons.

So it looks like I need to brave the cold long enough to get down to the lhs.
[/QUOTE]

For precise setups you really need to have an adjustable clevis. Subtrim only will screw up the geometry and that is important on rudder and elevator also. On mine the supplied metal was long enough to use on the ailerons with two clevises and not mess with using the carbon.

Last edited by av8djc; 01-08-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Don't do it Gramps. I was steady gettin her done until I took her off the bench. Now all I seem to want to do is work on my indoor foamies

No SJ she isn't coming off the bench till she is done I know what happens to builds when they go off the bench. It is a cold, and lonely place in my garage for a unfinished plane.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Well for you folks that have it and haven't started or still waiting for it, and I hope not. Dry fit the rudder get the control horn fitted and glued in. Get the hinges cut and ready fit these to. Now before gluing in the hinges do the decal next on the trailing rudder so much easier to be able to lay it flat on the work bench and stick them on each side.
My motor is hooked up to the bird, decals are on. She will be ready to maiden this weekend, but way to cold with the wind chill suppose to feel like single digits. She will be ready though.
John
Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I agree Gramps. I always like to apply decals, covering, or paint on the individual pieces before I glue them all together. It's just easier that way for me.

All I have left is to hook up the elevator and rudder. I picked up another stick of CF at the LHS today so I should be ready for maiden tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Alright I just have to set some velcro in place and I am ready for a maiden.
I have a question before I do this did any of you have to give the motor any down and rt., or did you folks get away with out any thrust issues. Suppose to warm up to 13 to 15 deg. Sun. with wind, and the maiden is not happening Sun.
Glad this is done I am getting itchy to start working with some balsa sticks.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post
Here is my fix for the servo mount snafu i created. Picture taken with the Turnigy micro camera/DVR. Works fairly decent and cannot wait to try it on my maxi swift.
Sarge

Where do you fly at? I thought about this one a while before deciding I had too many other projects ongoing to buy into another one but would love to see it fly sometime if we are in the same area. Maybe will talk myself into one as a next project.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 AM
cyclingsarge

Default where I fly

Dumo,

I fly at some of the local parks in the Columbus, OH Area. I don't belong to any clubs and traveling to them is time consuming and the cost to belong to them is not worth the amount of time I am not gong to spend there. When I am in Louisville I like to fly at Tom Sawyer park. There is an airport there but I fly at the soccer field due to the club fees. Most of what I fly are park flyer qualified and all electric.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Alright I just have to set some velcro in place and I am ready for a maiden.
I have a question before I do this did any of you have to give the motor any down and rt., or did you folks get away with out any thrust issues. Suppose to warm up to 13 to 15 deg. Sun. with wind, and the maiden is not happening Sun.
Glad this is done I am getting itchy to start working with some balsa sticks.
Gramps, I dont worry about down/rt thrust. Zero it up and it will hover real nice!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Thanks Jim 0 down and rt. it is. I don't know about hovering real nice maybe 2 sec hover then hurry to recover. This is going to be a fun learning experience for me.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post
Dumo,

I fly at some of the local parks in the Columbus, OH Area. I don't belong to any clubs and traveling to them is time consuming and the cost to belong to them is not worth the amount of time I am not gong to spend there. When I am in Louisville I like to fly at Tom Sawyer park. There is an airport there but I fly at the soccer field due to the club fees. Most of what I fly are park flyer qualified and all electric.
Understand.

If you get into the north end of Columbus sometime feel free to check out our field. Located at the south end of Alum Creek State Park just east of the dam. Club membership not required, just AMA.

Good luck with the 540
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

The weather is suppose to be great around here this weekend so be looking for the flight report . I have a friend that is going to shoot some video to post.

I still need a rudder push rod and velcro/strap for the battery but I tossed everything on the scale out of curiosity and I am already at 23 ounces. Not sure what I could do different to come in at the recommended weight of 19-21oz. I could maybe pull 21oz off but 19oz seems like it would be impossible.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

I put my Spektrum 6110e on today and moved the ESC to the other side to give me easier install and removal of the battery. The all up empty weight with the fat 2836 TGY motor (80g) and TGY plush 40a ESC is 18.8oz. Add 4.3oz for the 1350 3s + 23.1 0r add 6.5 for the 2200 3s + 25.3 ready to fly.

I need to start from the beginning on my trim it out program. I think I was a little nose heavy before. Need calmer weather.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I flew mine today. It was fun. I only got to put 3 batteries thru her I had the rates turned down for the first flight just to get a feel for it. The
Second flight turned everything up to 100% alot more fun this was using a tp 10x7 it was alright wanted to climb a lot I think to much thrust.
The last flight I switched to a 11x5.5 prop it flew a lot better with this prop. I still haven't gotten a wgt. on this plane. I don't know what the wife did with the scale that we have.
The motor is only putting out 168 watts wot. using a 3s 1500mah 20c battery I was doing 6 min. flight's. The batteries when I put them on the charger where 3.82 to 3.84 per cell. This was with mixed flying half to full throttle.
Need to trim and balance her some more, but I am a happy camper.
John
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Congrats Gramps. Sounds like with some fine tuning you'll have you a sweet flier.

Dave my weight is with an 1800mah 3S but like I said it is going to go up.

Saturday will be the day for me, the weather is looking great .

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KRVS&state=OK

Quick Reply: Airfoilz Edge 540 NX

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11033 seconds with 15 queries