Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
dyniFly

Club: the little Wings
Friends: (0)
Default 25% Junkers JU 88 A1 or A4

Hello Wattflyers!

I want to build something big. Next to my scale ERLA 5, an early German one-seater, and a Bf109-B, also at scale, there can only be another scale aircraft and I selected the Junkers Ju88.

In Belgium, we can get the weight of an RC aircraft up to 25kg without any special testing/admission. So the challenge will be to construct an electric twin engine scale model with 5m span within that limit.

Started making 3D drawings:

88 by Dirky dyniMo, on Flickr

Allthough Im sure that I can and will think and build very light, some parts cannot be fully controlled and the landing gear is one of it. E.g. The tires need to be approx. 265x100 and the closest match I found are 260x85. Rim included one wheel is 950gr. I definitely will need to get that weight down. More about this later

I do have one first question please: Skinning of the aircraft will probably be 3mm balsa wood but how about finishing that surface? Im sure that filler and paint will also add a lot of weight to the aircraft.
What would be the lightest combination skin/finish these days?
Thanks for your interest! Thanks for tips!

Thinking Out Of The Crazy Box

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft