Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hobby Lobby Mini Leader

Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 AM
mariog7

Default Hobby Lobby Mini Leader

This is my first post on Watt Flyer! I previously flew 450 size e-helis and now want to give airplanes a try. I am not a beginner, I have 15 years RC trucks and cars and know the basics of heli flying.

I have a DX7 tx, AR6100 rx, a few 11.1v 2100 mah lipos, a 40A ESC and 3 micros servos at my disposal and want to choose a plane to put them in. I am technically a beginner, but can fly airplanes on the sim pretty well.

What do you guys think about the Hobby Lobby Mini Leader as a first plane? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/minileader.htm

I really, really like the modern looks of this plane and my gear can drop right in. But is this stable enough as a first plane?

I appreciate your opinions!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello mariog and welcome to WattFlyer.

That is not something I would recommend as a beginning airplane. It is an aerobatic trainer, which assumes that you are already an intermediate level pilot.

I would suggest that you go to the beginners forum and look at the stickies there. Lots of good info about beginning planes.

You should have the orientation problem under control, and I would go for something a little above a basic trainer, but still something pretty stable, slow and forgiving. A lot depends on whether you want to do some work to get the plane in the air or want to get an ARF.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM
mariog7

I appreciate your post. Then let me re-phrase my question:

What is a good beginner plane that will be a direct fit for my DX7/AR6100, 11.1v 2100mah Lipo, 40A ESC and 3 micro-servos?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:46 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I would suggest the Mini Mag from Multiplex. It comes as a kit or a RTF with something in between. Your ESC may be a bit of an overkill but call Kirk Massey at New Creation RC, the link above and he can work with you on a brushless motor that would work with your gear. If you don't like the Mini Mag, he can lead you in the right direction your existing gear.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:51 AM
birdDog
Charging....

With a little tinkering, you can run your 2200mAh lipos in a hobbyzone supercub. However the proprietary electronics don't leave much to expand on without gutting it.