Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Review your First Plane

Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Default Review your First Plane

Use this thread to write a review of your first successful Electric Aircraft.
(For Airplanes, I will post another similar thread for rotor aircraft in the Helicopter beginner forum)

Please limit your reviews to, not your favorite aircraft (although it may have become so) and not the first one you bought (while you may have bought a craft which was out of your league as a beginner)

Make your review of the aircraft that first got you in the air, learning the basics, dealing with the repairs and getting you involved in the hobby. Please include at least one picture (even if from a online store) of the plane you are reviewing. And it is more than welcome to write many reviews of the same aircraft by different pilots.

Please refrain from reviewing ‘novelty aircraft’ or flying toys. The only reason for this is because these aircraft either possess or lack components and functions that are not always part of the main-stream model aircraft hobby.

Try not to throw any chit chat about someone’s review, write your own so that would-be pilots joining the hobby can get the big picture on a plane they might be considering. And try not to get tooo technical in your review because many readers of your review are wanting to get into the hobby and might not be up on the lingo just yet.

Readers using these reviews to make decisions about a first aircraft should understand that these reviews are from people who have actually flown the planes and are expressing their own personal experience. Which also may differ from other opinions.

Just fill out the following format to give the readers a good once over on the planes that got you in the air and in the hobby.

My First successful flights were with a-
Kit: (name of the kit)
Kit Type: (RTF, ARF or balsa/foam kit)
Kit Material: (what’s the plane made of)
Channels: (stock design, how many channels)
Controls: (what is controlled. ie Motor, Ailerons, Rudder, Elevator)
About the kit: (a once over of the kit and the build)
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: (what didn’t come with the kit that I needed)
What it will do: (her capabilities in the air)
What it won’t do: (what can’t the stock plane do)
What I did wrong to it: (basically how bad you beat it up)
What I did right to it: (any mods, alterations or changes you have made)
What it does now: (current role of the plane now)
Links to MY threads about this plane: (preferably build, upgrade, add-on or maiden threads)
Next model I had success with: (what did you successfully move on to)
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Default Wing Dragon

My First successful flights were with a
Kit: Wing Dragon (aka BeginAir or Junior Fly Pro)
Kit Type: RTF
Kit Material: Foam and Plastic
Channels: 3
Controls: Rudder, Elevator, Motor

About the kit:
I was charged when I first got my WD home, I opened up the box and had a couple parts in front of me. I went through the instructions with my set of small tools. It honestly only took a few minutes to get the craft together. The only part I didn’t like was that the battery took nearly 2 hours to charge before I could hit the field. Another quirk was the cover for the cockpit (a piece of plastic bent to a 45 degree angle) I had thought was supposed to bend upwards to cover the entire access hole, it was actually supposed to bend downward to create a nice access just for the battery. But all in all, the most difficulty I had was deciding where I wanted my 3 channels worth of controls on the 4 channel remote. But once that was done… it was done..

What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air:
8 AA batteries for the Transmitter. The rest was included in the RTF model.

What it will do:
The WD is built for stability and survivability. She flys quite stable and by design tends to want to ‘right’ herself in flight which means that the weight of the battery and electrics sits well below the main wing and makes her want to remain upright.

She will take-off from the runway or easily from a hand launch. The power provided by the stock motor and propeller is quite sufficient enough to get her up to a decent altitude and you can learn to perform some basic stunts like loops.

But her basic purpose is to take off, do some flying, land.. Then survive well enough to go back up again and again. On a full charge, I could get about 15 minutes of powered flight, but if you incorporate her great gliding characteristics, I have had flights up to 20-25 minutes.

What it won’t do:
The WD is not a stunt plane, nor a 3D plane. So this excludes her from complicated stunts and maneuvers and also begs to be flown on mild weather days while she is stock. Please note that the WD is easily upgraded, as well as adding the 4th channel main wing for ailerons, she can become quite the hot-dogger.

What I did wrong to it:
My WD is a true veteran. She and I have been through a lot. I have crashed her multiple times. Put her in and out of countless trees, lost control of her at the extent of her range, smacked a building, belly-flopped her, cartwheeled her.. you name it, it happened. But most times, got right back up and flew again.

Her ONLY design weakness is the tail section, the rudder and elevator surfaces tend to get beat up in a real bad landing, but these pieces are easily replaced or made with very little time, tools and cost.

What I did right to it:
Since I have had the WD, I have upgraded to the 4ch wing, because I wanted more capabilities while she was up. Upgraded to a brushless in-runner motor which plops right in to where the stock motor was. Coated the main wing with packaging tape which has made it nearly invincible. And replaced the tail surfaces with a bit more sturdy wood framed foam. That made her an insane aircraft, speed, maneuvering and excitement, while still having that WD stability.

I also replaced her Transmitter and Receiver with a better quality Graupner radio, this just to give me a bit of reassurance when flying.

What it does now:
Since I completely upgraded her, I pushed it up a notch and did a radical modification to the fuselage to carry my $300 digital camera up for AP. She has performed this job flawlessly ever since.

Links to MY threads about this plane:
first AV
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11549

mods and upgrades
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18190

first serious AP
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23570

Next model I had success with:
Parkflyer Edge 540T (my second one)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	junior.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	46861  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Insomniac

Default Electrafun XP

Kit: Electrafun XP
Kit Material: A sort of laminated foam wing (not the polystyrene type), same material for the tail and control surfaces. The main body is a thin, blow-moulded shell which has a soft, flexible feel. It will not crack like some thin plastics. The tail boom is made of either a really tough plastic or fiberglass. It is slightly flexible but quite strong.
Controls: Proportional rudder and elevator, with an on/off toggle for throttle. Since buying it, the manufactuer has upgraded the transmitter it comes with. It now ships it with a 4ch controller (same plane, but the controller has proportional throttle), but I have the older version.

About the Kit: The plane came fully assembled apart from the wing (one piece, held on with included rubber bands) and tail. The tail screws onto the tail boom, and the end of the pushrod has a little Z shape to keep it attached to the tail. Further down the pushrod there is a larger Z which can be bent or unbent to help trim the model. The plane comes with 2 7 cell NICAD batterys, charger (for 12V power sources ONLY), 2 main wings, 2 propellers, tail wheel and main wire landing gear, 2 vertical stabilisers, 2 horizontal staiblisers and transmitter. The manual was just enough to get the plane set up, nothing special and a little inaccurate. It also came with a short dvd to help set the plane up, which was very brief but still gave you an idea of how the plane flew. The manual said 20-30 minutes to charge, but it was more like 50 minutes.

What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Nothing, other than 8AA batterys for the transmitter.

What it will do: Fly nice and stable, take off from the ground, take a good bit of abuse and stay airworthy, loops (after a dive for airspeed), spiral dives and stalls. Thermalling is also possible, I have had it so high it was a mere speck, look away and you would lose it. Transmitter range seemed decent considering how cheaply made the transmitter looked (the new version of the transmitter looks much better with a voltmeter, adjustable metal sticks and servo reversing)

What it won't do: It doesn't like to climb for long. It will climb just fine for the first few minutes, but after that its performance drops off rapidly. Basically, climb to altitude, fly around and land. Stunts lose so much height that you can only really do them for the first part of the flight, because after that the model loses so much power you can't gain the height needed.

What I did wrong to it: Stalled when landing several times, causing it to fall from about a meter right into the ground. Landed on the road without wheels because it didn't glide as far as I thought it would. After many many flights over grass the wheels broke because they would get bent back by the grass, eventually the repeated bendings caused them to snap. When landing on grass with wheels it tended to flip upside down as the wheels caught, but this didn't damage it at all. Dad crashed into a ditch and caused the wing to dislodge, and the prop tore some gashes into it. It was fine though. A friend of mine also flys one of these, and he has crashed nose first into the ground. reciever slipped out of its little plastic mound and the weight of the motor crushed the area it was mounted in. The reciever was just slipped back into its mount, and the motor mount was pulled straight and some paddlepop sticks taped to the area to strengthen it. Flew fine after that.

What I did right to it: Learnt to fly! So far it is still in it's stock form, and I have no intention of any major modifications.

What it does now: Well, I have recently upgraded to a better plane so the electrafun is hanging on my wall for now, but I may still use it as a powered glider or just a nice easy flier.

Next model I had success with: I jumped straight from this plane into a stryker B (after a bit of practice on FMS) I am still flying the stryker (haven't had it very long) and haven't crashed yet. My friend with the Electrafun also bought a stryker B and has had no problem flying it.

Overall it is a very good plane to learn on, because it flys well and comes with a bunch of spares and an extra battery. Only real downside is that it is a bit lacking in power at times, and the control surfaces are pretty small.

Pics!

You may have trouble seeing the plane in one of the pics, it is a photo of the highest I have ever had it. The battery alone won't get the plane this high, you need to use thermals.

Name:	electrafun small.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	46917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137 small.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	46918  
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 PM
flydave
IT FLYS ! Weee...........

Default Wingdragon 4

Click image for larger version

Name:	wd4.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	46952

Kit: Hobby-Lobby Wingdragon 4
Kit Material: Foam, Plastic
Channels: 4
Controls: Throttle, Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder
About the kit: The kit came in good shape, The only things I did that were not in the instructions was to glue the tail boom to keep from twisting and paint the pilot
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Packing tape for the wing(none was included),glue for the tail boom
What it will do: Flys very good, long glides, loops, rolls, stall turns.
What it won’t do: 3D
What I did wrong to it: Hard landings, 1 cartwheel, lost battery in-flight, snapped off horizontal stabilizer in car door! Nose in from 30' due to gnats in face
What I did right to it: AR6000 reciever, e-flight s-75 servos, Brushless motor, lipo battery, aileron control horn re-inforcement, steerable tail wheel, velcro battery strap, air scoops on nose, Supercub landing gear, Maxxprod 2" wheels, flaperons, WW 1 German decals.
What it does now: I use this as a warm up plane and for general fun flying!
Links to MY threads about this plane: I used BosTom's links for most and included in Sir Raliegh's tip's and tricks on this forum.
Next model I had success with: Hobby-Lobby STM-182 Electro-Trainer

Name:	128-2807_IMG.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	50957   Click image for larger version

Name:	128-2815_IMG.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	50958   Click image for larger version

Name:	128-2816_IMG.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	50959   Click image for larger version

Name:	128-2817_IMG.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	50960   Click image for larger version

Name:	128-2802_IMG.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	50961  

Last edited by flydave; 01-04-2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: add pic's
Old 11-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Default Hobbyzone Super Cub

Kit: HobbyZone Super Cub
Kit Material: Foam
Channels: 3 Channel
Controls:Rudder, Elevator, Throttle (RET)
About the kit: This is a very simple, complete kit. The construction is Z Foam ... a very resilient foam product. It comes complete with a speed 400 brushed motor, flight battery, transmitter batteries, radio, servos, spare prop, etc..

What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air:

You don't NEED to buy anything else for your first day. I recommend buying additional batteries. The 8-cell battery is a nice upgrade option.
You should also have additional AA batteries (8 required I think) for the transmitter on hand.

What it will do:

ROG (Rise off ground) takeoffs, loops, hammer-head (stall) turns, inverted flight (from 1/2 inside loop), glides well, nice easy "relaxed" flight as well.

What it won’t do:
Any aerobatics requiring ailerons. Any aerobatics requiring a high power/weight ratio.

What I did wrong to it:
I've broken just about everything but the wing itself on this plane. Even the most severe damage can usually be repaired (often in the field) with some packing tape, 5-minute epoxy (or other foam-safe adhesive) and a little creativity.

What I did right to it:
I eventually replaced the stock electronics with Spektrum DX6 gear and added ailerons. A very easy mod to do.

I also changed the stock main-gear wheels to 2.75" DuBro wheels for grass field operation. I also upgraded the tailwheel to a 1" wheel.

It's useful to protect the wingtips and leading edges with some packing tape. The wing-saddle area, and the narrowest part of the fuselage just before the tailfeathers can do with a bit of re-inforcement as well.

What it does now:
I suspect some birds are nesting in it . I lost it in the woods early this spring. If I hadn't lost this plane, I suspect I'd still be flying it. It's a great first plane out of the box. But with a bit of modification, it can be a plane almost any pilot would be glad to have in his hangar.

Links to MY threads about this plane:
I don't have any threads I've started for this plane. There are many threads dedicated to this venerable beginner plane, though.

Next model I had success with:
Ultrafly Super Decathlon. This is a great second plane for someone who's had great success flying the Super Cub. It's another high-wing plane, but with a balsa construction, 4-channel control and more power. It's a great plane to serve as an aileron trainer and with a more powerful motor you can really learn some more advanced aerobatic flying with it as well. I'm still flying this plane now.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Neko

Default Electristar

Kit: Electristar
Kit Material: Balsa and Monocote
Channels: 4; Comes with a pretty sophisticated Futaba 4-chan radio with exponential, stored trims, several models, etc.
Controls: Motor, Ailerons, Rudder, Elevator.
About the kit: Amazing. It's really RTF. Some very minor assembly like screwing on the tail and fastening the control linkages. Check the throws, put in the battery and go. And it's very strongly built. Just the thing for a trainer. And it's nice and big. And it looks like a plane.
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Batteries (4000mAh TrueRC 4S), charger, balancer. That's it. Get some decent ones so you can use them for your next plane.
What it will do: Extremely forgiving. It's got a LOT of power for a trainer. My Hyperion meter said over 500W. I am rarely at full throttle or the thing just keeps climbing. Inverted, loops, rolls. On landing, it floats forever so you need a fair bit of room to set up, but that makes it easy to land. It's totally stable. Take your hands off the controls and it flies and flies.
What it won’t do: It has too much dihedral for my tastes. That makes it almost too stable, and then rolls are hard to control nicely. But it's a trainer, after all!
What I did wrong to it: I did not align the front wheel with the rudder carefully, so on my first few flights, the plane would veer off to one side during takeoff ground roll. Since I am not a great pilot, I had a hard time compensating and did a little cartwheel once. Bent the motor shaft, but that's all (bought a new motor).
What I did right to it: Fly the hell out of the Electristar in Real Flight. Every day for weeks, round and round, figure 8's, and landing. My first flight real flight was smooth as a result.
What it does now: Stillll goin' (boom, boom, boom, boom...)
Next model I had success with: I am building a Pulse XT now.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
rgfitz

Default Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw

Kit: Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw

Kit Type: Ready to fly
Kit Material: typical pod-and-boom blow-molded plastic fuselage, fairly dense foam wing and tail coated with thin plastic film
Channels: 2
Controls: proportional motor speed and right/left motor for direction...no servos
About the kit: very well designed and fabricated - cheap
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: nothing
What it will do: Just land, take off, and go round and round
What it won’t do: aerobatics
What I did wrong to it: tried to fly in too small a field
What I did right to it: trimmed it to reduce porpoising and found a large flying field
What it does now: just fly it occasionally with no problems at all
Links to MY threads about this plane: (preferably build, upgrade, add-on or maiden threads)
Next model I had success with: Hobbico SkyFly
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 PM
guest001
On Hiatus

Easy Star: wonderful airplane.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Nice review dave, remember, you get paid by the word...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 AM
guest001
On Hiatus

Huh?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:25 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Kit: GWS Beaver
Kit Type: ARF
Controls: M/E/R
About the kit: A very durable foam model. A lot of meat in the nose area which made it able to withstand quite a beating on those less than stellar landings. The wing was very flimsy though and tended to break/ rip in half when I got into to steep of a dive. After a lot of renforcing with tape and such it helped considerably, still went through 3 sets of wings though...
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Basic ARF, with brushed motor. needed receiver, battery, servos, and esc.
What it will do: Stock power is adequate for normal sustained flight with a loop or two thrown in.
What it won’t do: Aileron control
What I did wrong to it: Biggest thing, Ask Skiman, was to snap the wing in half at about 150' altitude and watch it helplessly spiral down to terra firma and make a very big divot in the school yard. Pulled the motor back out of the fuse, got a new wing and flew it again the next week.
What I did right to it: brushless power, hobbylobby 400xt, 2 cell 1300 mah lipo gave me 45 minute flights.
What it does now: sits on a shelf
Links to MY threads about this plane: none
Next model I had success with: GWS Estarter
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2007, 03:04 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

My First successful flights were with a:

Plane: HobbyZone AeroBird-3.
Kit Type: RTF.
Kit Material: Combination blown plastic pod, fiber boom, undercamber foam wings.
Channels: 3.
Controls: RET (V-tail) Rudder, Elevator, Throttle.
About the kit: Everything is included, even the batteries for the transmitter (cheap carbon-zincs, naturally). Just snap on the main wing using rubberbands, charge the NiMH flight pack, plug it into the plane and fly. They even include a ribbon to tie onto the TX antenna.
What it will do: It's a three channel trainer/entry-level aerobatic plane. It will do basic tricks like loops. Top-wing pod and boom design, along with the polyhedral wing and V-tail make this a very stable bird, a great 3 Ch. starter (Forget 2 channel planes, there are too many circumstances when you need an elevator just to keep your plane from becoming a lawn dart!). Mine was trimmed right out of the box. Will climb at a decent angle @ full throttle, a touch of up elevator will get it up faster if you're impatient or have a small field. The transmitter has two flight modes, "Pro" which gives full action to the servos, and "Sport" which dampens them. These can be switched back and forth in flight. It also glides verrry well. It won't thermal (well, it might in a really strong thermal), but can be used as a slope glider if the wind isn't too harsh.
What it won’t do: Advanced Aerobatics, 3D, and it's not powerfull enough for vertical flight. (at least not going up). Note: go easy on the fancy stuff unless you've reinforced that main wing (see below), as I've read instances where it's folded under "High-G" maneuvers, and don't fly if the wing has a crease, or it will fold in flight. Also, I would switch to "Pro" mode as soon as you have a good feel for the plane, as it is very sluggish in "Sport" mode.
What I did wrong to it: Tried flying in too hard a wind, lost control and the plane came down hard ruining the fuselage.
What I did right to it: I reinforced the main wing with carbon spar, out of the box it isn't very strong. The stock canopy "latch" isn't very efficient either, and there's nothing holding the flight-pack secure, so I added a strap to the canopy to prevent battery ejection on hard landings, Oh, and I got rid of those dorky factory stickers
What it does now: I retired it after it's last crash and got an Easy Star (which is currently on hold until I get a new job). This is supposed to be a tougher plane with even better glide characteristics (it will thermal), and I've heard it'll hold a turn better, the AB-3 tries to straighten itself out too quickly IMO. I found I was fighting it just to stay within the bounds of the field (another note: fly this plane in a large field, or keep it high above any obsticals).
Links to MY threads about this plane: No threads, just replies in other threads.
Next model I had success with: Hopefully the EZ*

Sorry, I don't have any pics of it.

Last edited by FlyWheel; 12-30-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:19 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Dave Matison View Post
Easy Star: wonderful airplane.
Oh, come on! You have to elaborate, I'm building one of these!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

My First Successful flights were with a:
Kit type:RTF
Kit material: Foam reinforced with plastic covering and plastic material inside to reinforce fuselage and metal landing gear.
Channels:3
Controls:Rudder, elevator, throttle.
About the kit: Everything included came with a car DC charger, batteries for the transmitter and a battery for the plane. Everything needed to fly came with it even a ribbon.
What it will do: Its 3 channel so you can do full controlling and you can do some loops and do some spirals. Has enough power to climb up to 200ft in a very short distance and it glides well on deadstick. It also has a mode to switch so that when you turn it doesnt add elevator to it(helps alot for ROG's). Can fly inverted kinda tricky but it can.
What it wont do: Cant barrel roll and it cant climb straight up.
What i did wrong with it: I tried doing 4 barrel rolls without wingstruts and the wings snapped in half at about 200ft up, so it just dropped like a rock. Also i lost it for flying it at night i lost orientation, found it 3weeks later in the newspaper lost adn found section.
What i did right: Put on a tailwheel and also reinforced the part where you put the rubberbands over. ANd put some foam in the nose.
What it does now: Umm once i found it it wouldnt fly the same anymore its broken body is now being used for my cheap electronics.
Next model i had success with: the SDM Piper Cub which didnt last too long but i flew it for about 5min! Im proud.
I have a couple links mostly crashes and it being new.
My pic is in the link below the first one.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21886

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21925

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22810

Last edited by GreenAce92; 12-30-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 AM
teamgs
Respect mah Authoritay!

Kit: EasyStar
Kit Type: ARF
Kit Material: Elapor foam
Controls: Motor, Rudder, Elevator
About the kit: Well packaged, and can be built in a couple of hours with some med CA. Directions are well written.
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Servos, batteries (8 cell 1500 MAH NiMH), Radio (DX6), Charger (HC Quick charger)
What it will do: Easily hand launched, once trimmed she flies herself, stalls, loops
What it won’t do: Not sure, as I am a novice pilot
What I did wrong to it: nothing yet. Only flown her for a day.
What I did right to it: Packing tape on the nose and bottom
What it does now: trainer
Links to MY threads about this plane: Maiden flight thread: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...470#post328470
Next model I had success with: ??

Gary
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

But, what if your first successful flight was with a scratch built, and not a kit?!?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

then review the components
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
KeithTX

Default SkyFly

Kit: Hobbico/Skyzone SkyFly
Kit Material: Boom & Pod, foam wing & stabs, plastic fuse.
Controls: Throttle, Rudder, Elevator
About the kit: A real RTF, just had to put the wing on
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Nothing
What it will do: Fly and glide level, turn and death spiral
What it won’t do: Anything else, it is so self-correcting you can't really do anything with it. Great for a beginner.
What I did wrong to it: Turned while too low and crashed the first 5 flights, finally learned.
What I did right to it: Bought 2 extra batteries, otherwise it's still stock.
What it does now: It's usually the first plane I take up, it's an easy fly and great for checking the wind.
Links to MY threads about this plane: none
Next model I had success with: Hobby-Lobby Decathlon 480
Old 05-14-2008, 04:33 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

There's quite a few good reviews in this thread. Might I suggest everyone who's posted one here do a copy/paste into a review in our Reviews section? (Click the "Articles" link on the menu bar above.)
Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
clockworks

Kit: Kyosho Minium Cessna (AKA PZ Micro Cessna)
Controls: Motor, Rudder, Elevator
About the kit: It really is ready to fly. Add some AAs, charge the LiPo flight battery, and away you go
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: 8 AA batteries

What it will do: Although it's designed to be an indoor flier, I've only ever used it outdoors. 15 minute flights on a charge. It's a proper 3-channel plane in miniature. Will fly at a brisk walking pace. Can ROG from a hard surface, or will fly straight out of your hand. Loops are possible after a short dive to gain speed. Easy to fly at head height.

What it won’t do: Doesn't really like wind, being so small and light (18g, 3/4 ounce), but is fine with 7 or 8mph. Any higher and it's difficult to make headway. Blustery wind is a no-no. It won't land on grass (too small), so every flight ends with a nose-over. No real damage though, due to the low speed and light weight. I haven't been able to get it to fly inverted.

What I did wrong to it: Stuck in a tree. Broken wing when it cartwheeled into the ground - easily fixed with CA and sellotape. Dislodged fin when it landed upside down.

What I did right to it: Not really suitable for mods, although a couple of guys at the club have used the electronics to build low-wing planes.

What it does now: Regularly used for flying in the field next to my house.

Next model I had success with: Currently using a Wing Dragon to get used to something bigger. Multiplex Minimag built and ready to go. Multiplex Gemini half built
Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
bassplayinDude

Kit: HobbyZone Super Cub

Kit Material: This is a foamy plane

Channels: 3 channels

Controls: throttle, rudder, elevator (no ailerons)

About the kit: Everything came in the box. Putting the plane together took less time than charging the battery, just like the instructions said. Instructions were clear and easy to understand. Written by someone who knew English (if you've seen bad Chinese --> English translations then you know exactly what I mean)

What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: NOTHING. Everything including 8AA batteries for the Tx were included.

What it will do: ROG, loops, anything you can perform without ailerons. High wing trainer with a bit of wing dihedral so plane will always try to self-correct to level flight so regular input will be required during turns.

What it won’t do: Anything requiring ailerons (rolls, knife-edge)

What I did wrong to it: Didn't have enough altitude when flying upside down. Lawn darted on both attempts, one due to dumb thumbs, second due to not enough altitude to pull out from inverted

What I did right to it: still completely stock, except for disabling ACT (waste of circuitry IMHO)

What it does now: still flies and still fun to fly

Links to MY threads about this plane: None as this is the first time I've talked about my SC in depth

Next model I had success with: ParkZone Ember (it's a mini slow-stick-like plane able to fly in very small areas)

Bought a ParkZone T-28 PnP yesterday as a 4 channel trainer. Got it all set up and Spektrumized last night. Hoping to maiden by this weekend. Will also be flying my Super Cub as my warm up plane.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Gimpster

Default Airfoilz Extra 260 Hybrid

My First successful flights were with an- Airfoilz Extra 260 Hybrid
Kit: Airfoilz Extra 260 Hybrid
Kit Type: Kit, Laser Cut
Kit Material: Balsa/Foam/Light-Ply Hybid
Channels: 4 or 5 channels
Controls: Throttle, Aileron, Elevator & Rudder
About the kit: The kit came well packaged and mostly complete, it included all the hardware to complete the kit aside from mounting hardware for the power package and radio gear. All the parts were laser-cut and baged by type of material. The wing skins come prefolded and gluded ready for final assembly. The kit goes togeather fairly quickly but care should be taken to dry fit all the parts before gluing to ensure correct alighment. If/when I build a second one I will leave the botom fuse skins off the plane until all the power package and radio gear have been installed and trimed as the space in the fuse is a little tight.
What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: To complete the kit I needed to aquire several different adhesives (Thin CA, Foam Safe CA, Foam Safe CA Kicker, Epoxy Etc.) I also needed to aquire the Power System (150w-250w), Radio (4 to 5 channel, 9gram servos) and Propeller 10" to 11").
What it will do: This is a fully 3D capable aircraft. It will do what ever you ask it to do and with a 250w power package it will have a thrust/weight ration of nearly 2 to 1.
What it won’t do: As an Acrobatic plane with a symetrical airfoil and no dihedral it will not self correct from banking.
What I did wrong to it: The only thing I have done wrong so far was rushing the build. It resulted in a mis-alignments in the fuse and tail section. The fuse is still a little off but I was able to mostly straighten the tail, neither seem to affect the model in flight.
What I did right to it: The only changes I have made from stock are to tape the leading edges of the wing and tail section.
What it does now: Currently this plane is my trainer. I have it setup on low rates and its stable enough to have allowed me to land on my 4th flight( its first) and solo on my 5th flight(its second).

Summery: All in all its seems to be an exelent plane. I would recomend it as a second plane or for someone ready for ailerons. I chose it over a trainer due to its precieved toughness, low cost and because I spent 5 years flying in a sim before buying my first plane.

Name:	Airfoilz260-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	66597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airfoilz260-2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	66598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airfoilz260-3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	66599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airfoilz260-4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	66600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airfoilz260-5.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	66601  

Last edited by Gimpster; 05-20-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
CaptainCub

Kit: HobbyZone SuperCub

Kit Material: Basic Foam (none of that fancy EPP stuff :p)

Controls: Motor, Elevator, Rudder

About the kit: Well packed and well made. Everything was in the box, even batteries for the transmitter.

What I NEEDED to buy to get the kit in the air: Nothing, everything was included

What it will do: Loops, tail slides, turn and look fancy

What it won’t do: Roll, hover and land (It's a glider in disguise!)

What I did wrong to it: Broke the cowl, firewall and prop. Lost the spinner, bent the landing gear, broke the gear pants.

What I did right to it: Added lights, new trim scheme, fancy spinner and larger wheels.

What it does now: Goes where my more epensive planees won't . If it's high winds, dark clouds and rain my SC will take to the skies fearlessly.

Links to MY threads about this plane: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24861

Next model I had success with: Multiplex MiniMag