RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Generic crystals

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Default Generic crystals

I see where BPHobbies has generic crystals said to work with GWS receivers. I've read over and over "Crystal brand should match the receiver brand" so Im wondering if anyone has tried these less expensive generic crystals and if so how do they stack up?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Rodneh

It is always a risk to use such crystals. Unless you know that it is the proper cut (X orY or?) and the proper overtone (usually 2nd or 3rd) that the local oscillator was designed to use, you have a potential failure or poor perfomance.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

From what I've ever seen, either the crystal works for that receiver, or it doesn't. I've never experienced any combination that "kinda, almost or maybe" works, or one that would only work for a very short distance.
Do you have any personal experiences otherwise? I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by BPHobbies
The UM5 crystal precision is equal to the UM1. Frequency tolerance is 10ppm, pin is f0.35,operation temperature range from -20 to+70C and it's aging is 5ppm/year same as UM1. The UM5 crystals will work in Blue Arrow R3P4, Plantraco DSP4, DSP4-SC, Blue Bird BMR, GWS R-4P, and GWS R-6N receivers.
from this page
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V694287

The same statement is made for the UM1 crystals

This is all I have to go by
Old 01-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

Well, at those prices you could buy a few of them, run your own tests, publish the results here and elsewhere on the web, and become the Instant Guru and Keeper of the Mystical Flame of Knowledge.
I have used this brand of crystal in a GWS RX with excellent results.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
I have used this brand of crystal in a GWS RX with excellent results.

See, thats all I wanted to hear, lol. Thanks Dorsal. I'll be grabbin a few of them soon, different channels as well. Will report back here afterwards on if they worked for me and how well they did.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
See, thats all I wanted to hear, lol. Thanks Dorsal. I'll be grabbin a few of them soon, different channels as well. Will report back here afterwards on if they worked for me and how well they did.
It's a bit tougher than that due to all the variations possible. The GWS RX's don't have a great reputation. They have shortened antennas and are designed for park fliers. Couple that with a generic Xtal and your performance could be anything from great to awful. Depending on the plane, routing of the wires, distance from the TX, local interference, etc. you can get a range of performance.
I'm not sure how you sort it out without specialized equipment. It's a pretty messy experiment.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 AM
reg3

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
Im wondering if anyone has tried these less expensive generic crystals and if so how do they stack up?
I am using one with a 4 channel Corona in my Easy Star and have experienced no problems. I will get more on my next order to BP.

Ed
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
M.T.

Originally Posted by reg3 View Post
I am using one with a 4 channel Corona in my Easy Star and have experienced no problems. I will get more on my next order to BP.

Ed
I have the same set up in my Pico Cub.... again no problems!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
jnastasi
I'd rather be flying...

FYI, I just tried two of these crystals in two different GWS R-4P II Pico Receivers. They both did not work at all, meaning the servos began moving violently and then came to rest at the extreme ends of their movement.

Now I purchased the receivers used, so that could be the problem. But the chances of the guy selling me two bad receivers is pretty unlikely.

I'm going to buy a GWS brand XTAL and see if that clears it up.

I gotta stop being so cheap....
Cheers,
JOe
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM
jnastasi
I'd rather be flying...

RE: the GWS receivers with BP crystals. I just realized that they are J-type and I have a Hitec xmitter. I just assumed (duh) that they were auto shift. So, don't count my experience above as an indication of a problem with generic crystals.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 03-06-2008, 05:41 AM
hisky
go for it !

i use the Generic UM1 Receiver Crystals on a 6 channel Corona and a 6 channel GWS thay work well and thay was from BP .

hope this help
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Everyone I have tried Corona receivers, and tries using a cirrus crystal in a hitec micro receiver, and the mismatched cirrus crystal did not work in the hitec receiver, the corona receivers just glitched a lot on me, Soooooooo Now, after spending a lot of money trying to SAVE MONEY, I just buy, IMHO the best FM receiver on the market, BERG, and use only Berg crystals, no glitched, and no problems with them, and they are inexpensive too, buy a Berg receiver, get a free crystal and free shipping = same price as a hitec receiver after having to buy crystal and pay for shipping, I Like the MS4L Berg Receiver, Just my 2 cents worth Chellie

http://b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=39