Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Generic Backyard Bipe

Old 02-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

Default Generic Backyard Bipe

thought I'd post some pics and description of my newest creation.. I wanted a small bipe for flying in the backyard (little under an acre of open area) .. so here she is..
undercambered wings for slow flying charactoristics, 24gr outrunner, 2.6gr servos, 10amp esc, 6channel micro rx, AUW w/2s 850 is 8.2oz. and a wing loading of 4.1oz sq ft. Still waiting on servo plugs as the servos come with jst and the rx is standard.. may have to go to a 4.3gr servo for ailerons if I decide to go with lower wing ailerons linked to top wing ail. ... balances perfect without the battery installed, so I can place it on the CG and be able to fly different sized packs without rebalancing

the ski set is removable and the set of wheeled gear I'm working on should be similar weight... looks like I'm a week away from maiden while I wait on carbon fiber for linkages and servo plugs.
probably going to redue the rudder and extend it lower between the elevator halves and reduce the top of it.... I posted this at RCU but thought I'd post a thread here.. I don't have any plans just used known proportions based on pics and bipe CGs.. the wings have a much longer cord then most but I wanted light wingloading and floaty performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	backyard bipe.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	23387   Click image for larger version

Name:	backyard bipe headon.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	23388  
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

Default update on the bipe maiden

finally got the parts needed to finish and maiden the BYB... flies nice but much quicker then I wanted even on 2s. currently looking for a lowerer pitched 7" prop, currently it's a 7x6 gws but I'd rather have a 7x4 of the same version.. the rudder servo was creaping and made the flight a bit of a challenge and I have some new servos on order.. when the rudder wasn't freaking out on me, it handled quite nicely but needed power on landings as the glide slope seemed a bit "brickish", which I gather is par for the coarse with bipes... all in all it flies well, ROGed real sweet (3' or so) taxied on snow nicely as long as the surface was smooth... once I get the rudder servo squared away and the prop I want on it I'll post a video... pretty snappy and hovering shouldn't be any problem.. more than enough power..

fun build
Old 02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

MF:
Nice looking bipe!!! To slow it down some more you might try bending more camber into the wings. Might be a PIA though as you would have to modify the struts. At 4 ounces/sq/ft should fly pretty slow though.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 02-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

thanks bob, got my servos today and while swapping things around noticed the ESC tx plug had very poor crimping of the wires and popped right off and may have been part of my servo issue.. so I soldered the connections and all is well.. ..I too have thought about adding more camber.. and I think I can still do some changes to at least the LE and roll them down a bit more.. the new servos seem to be the ticket.. much more torque--4 times the torque of the 2.5 gr.. but these are 5gram so I've put on about 7 grams.. but also can get that back with a 650mah batt instead of the 850... .. snowing to beat the band right now and looks like saturday is my next opp for maiden 2... quite impressed with it's manuverablity .. it'll turn on a wingtip with aggressive rudder and should be able fly her in quite a small area if I can stay off the throttle.. one of my weaknesses .. oh and BTW, I did mod the rudder quite a bit and lowered the mass quite a bit.. took away alot of coupling.. she was pretty top-heavy in the rudder turns.. now it almost skids and slides into turns.. fun plane so far

thanks for the interest in my BYB it's a nice little one-day build..

Last edited by Maine_flyer; 02-15-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Morning Flyer,
Nice looking Bipe, When you do get some more pictures or a video we would sure like to see it...
Good day!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

I like it
Old 02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Very Very nice bi Plane, we want more pictures and a maiden video take care, Chellie
Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

giving her a little color tonight.. tomorrow is suppose to be warmer with light winds and I'll try to get some video...

I have red, black and white testors spray... and somewhat of an idea
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM
JoeBruce

Yes, very nice. I keep getting caught up in these nice foamie build threads. I've got my eye on some sort of scratch-built foamie as a second plane... This one looks like another candidate, as a big focus for me is slow flight (well, small spaces, which pretty much means slow flight).
Old 02-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

Joe, I to have been in the quest for quite some time for a very small slow-flyer with full-boat controls.. I like the quick and agile manner this bipe flies at.. the next one will be much lighter and more dihedral in the wing.. a little more thought into making lighter tail surfaces.. bipes, from what I've read and experianced, can be difficult to build balanced due to the short nose area.. this one was perfect until I was forced into heavier servos.. 7 grams isn't much but for a bipe design weighing 6.5oz, adding 7gr aft of the CG put me tail heavy and i had to mod the battery bay forward and it still needs more.. I tried to compensate a bit with paint that added 7 grams and applied it VERY sparingly aft of CG and heavier forward .. today's maiden should tell the 'tail'

couple pics of a late-night paintjob.. I really love "testors" for foam.. it's such high pigment that it takes very little to get opaque color.. fogging on one light coat covers well enough to call it finished..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	backyard bipe paint1.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	24723   Click image for larger version

Name:	backyard bipe paint2.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	24724   Click image for larger version

Name:	backyard bipe paint3.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	24725  
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
JoeBruce

I like the paint job! I'll keep the Testors paints in mind as I get closer to building a plane. Other fish to fry first...

BTW, I didn't realize that the paint could be so heavy. I guess I don't usually think in terms of a few or several grams!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
JWilliams

Looks good now
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

Red face

double post!... DOH!

Last edited by Maine_flyer; 02-21-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Maine_flyer
Speed Addict!

Default here's some video

shot a little video this morning.. wind was 7-10mph so it was a bit of a .. well.. challenge, to fly it smoothly and my flat spins wouldn't come around very well... she's still a tad tail-heavy.. another 1/2" forward with the battery should be perfect.. gonna try it with 3s this afternoon... it should hover at just over half throttle to 2/3 or so... inverted flight is nice, wants to snap out of tight loops(tail heavy tendancy), rudder mass needs to be lowered more.. maybe I'll trim the front of the vert. stab and give the rudder a little trim off the top and keep the base mass it has now.. that may put my CG in the sweet spot without modding the batt bay... we'll see..

my camera doesn't zoom in vid mode.. so it gets tiny fast..

she's my sweet little thang... she's my pride and joy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToosReGWxkU

~enjoy
Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Ice Bullit

Very nice! That thing flys really well