Need Help! on 3d Foamy - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Need Help! on 3d Foamy

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 AM
BullDog2012

Default Need Help! on 3d Foamy

I purchased this plane recently at a swap meet.

I flew it a few times and it was fast as hell and a blast to fly.

1. Does anyone know the type of plane etc because I really like the airframe.

2. On my 3rd flight I lost the motor, I was hauling butt and it simply ripped out of the foam. I searched high and low for it and I can't seem to find it. I think it was orange and a hobby king motor. Not sure how it was mounted before. Also not sure of the esc as the sticker is not on it.

3. What size motor would you recommend for this plane that is plug and play with this esc. If I had to guess how fast it was before I lost the motor I'd say it was doing 50-60.

4. I have a firepower 480 or something like that with a 40 esc not sure if that would be over kill.

5. How do I mount it better so that I don't lose my motor again.... kinda sucks! I checked all over and especially in front of the plane but no luck. Do I epoxy some wood in there and mount the motor on that?

If that motor won't work, I'll probably order a smaller one from headsuprc or hobbyking. Any suggestions on motors and mounts for this style plane?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3 D.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	166821   Click image for larger version

Name:	3d 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	166822   Click image for larger version

Name:	3d 4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	166823  

Last edited by BullDog2012; 03-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BullDog2012 View Post
I purchased this plane recently at a swap meet.

I flew it a few times and it was fast as hell and a blast to fly.

1. Does anyone know the type of plane etc because I really like the airframe.

2. On my 3rd flight I lost the motor. I searched high and low for it and I can't seem to find it. I think it was orange and a hobby king motor. Not sure how it was mounted before. Also not sure of the esc as the sticker is not on it.

3. What size motor would you recommend for this plane that is plug and play with this esc. If I had to guess how fast it was before I lost the motor I'd say it was doing 50-60.

4. I have a firepower 480 or something like that with a 40 esc not sure if that would be over kill.

5. How do I mount it better so that I don't lose my motor again.... kinda sucks! I checked all over and especially in front of the plane but no luck. Do I epoxy some wood in there and mount the motor on that?

If that motor won't work, I'll probably order a smaller one from headsuprc or hobbyking. Any suggestions on motors and mounts for this style plane?

Thanks for your help.
Yeah
Take a run to your local Hobby Store, and pick up a sheet of 1/64 plywood. If they don't have the 1/64 ply, a piece of 1/32 balsa might work. Cut two pieces to fit on both sides of the fuse with a notch for the motor location. The ply should lead back three or four inches from the front. Bring the back of the ply to a point so as to not create any stress areas.

Then, where the motor was, epoxy in a motor firewall, gluing it to the thin ply. that should be much stronger than the original was, and if you're careful with the epoxy, won't add very much weight.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 AM
BullDog2012

Thanks for your help.

I am some what limited on time, is there a solution where I can get up in the air quick.

Ever try something like this?

http://www.lightflite.com/motormount.htm
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM
BullDog2012

I wound up building a balsa mount and ordered a new Heads UP motor for the plane out of Ocala, Florida.