Concept models Fleet bipe... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Concept models Fleet bipe...

Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Default Concept models Fleet bipe...

Hey now,
I just picked up one of the sixth scale versions of this kit.
It looks to be a very nice kit all hand cut and well thought out.
Should even be a good flyer.
I was thinking of running an E-Flite power 46 on 4s LiPos and APC 14-10 prop. Prolly too much power but that's not so bad is it.
Anybody have any experience with this kit? Any thing I should know before digging in? Traps? Tricks? Troubles?
Also where can I find five dummy cylinders like the old Williams bros ones used originaly in the kit?
I should be able to get started next week, I'm psyched!
I've been wanting one of these for ten years now...
RobII
Old 03-31-2007, 08:44 PM
E-Challenged

Default Ask Concept!

Try asking Concept Models for advice on electric conversions, nice folks.I got one of their old Barnstormer kits from Ebay, maybe will convert that to electric power

http://www.mailbag.com/users/conceptmodels/concept.html
Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Have been looking at this plane for years...keep us posted.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
I just picked up one of the sixth scale versions of this kit.
It looks to be a very nice kit all hand cut and well thought out.
Should even be a good flyer.
I was thinking of running an E-Flite power 46 on 4s LiPos and APC 14-10 prop. Prolly too much power but that's not so bad is it.
Anybody have any experience with this kit? Any thing I should know before digging in? Traps? Tricks? Troubles?
Also where can I find five dummy cylinders like the old Williams bros ones used originaly in the kit?
I should be able to get started next week, I'm psyched!
I've been wanting one of these for ten years now...
RobII
Williams Brothers cylinders are available again.

Let us know how the build goes. I have been lusting for that kit for a long time. I tried to win one in a contest once, but no luck. Guess I will have to break down and buy one.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Fleet

The 1/6 version was actually designed to be electric powered. The website makes mention of an Astro geared 40. They also mention that the plane can be flown with a .25-.40 2cycle glow. I have an e-flite 25 on a 3 lb. ultra stick 25E and it will hold a vertical line until its almost out of sight...setting up the 1/6 Fleet to fly on electric should be a cakewalk! Our options for electric are much greater than when the plane was originally introduced.

Let's see........all I need to do is convince my wife that I'll get warts if I don't have one.........................

Ken

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Try asking Concept Models for advice on electric conversions, nice folks.I got one of their old Barnstormer kits from Ebay, maybe will convert that to electric power

http://www.mailbag.com/users/conceptmodels/concept.html
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Warts excuse won't work, believe me I've tried. Tell her that lack of direct exposure to THIS aircraft will cause a breakout of Lumpuckeroo of the Gunch, which is widely known to cause Conkus of the Ronkus of the Blowhole.

By the time she researches both of those, you should have 2-3 flights in.

Good Luck
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Models Fleet Biplane

Ordered!!!!! After all these years.............

Ken

Originally Posted by Taylorcraft_ASEL View Post
Have been looking at this plane for years...keep us posted.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 AM
skypup

Default cylinders?

Ken
I got one awhile back but have not had the time to build. I have mostly been flying helis and parkflyers for the past 10 years. I am an old time modeler and have always liked the looks of this plane. Anyone actually find a decent source for those 1/6 wright cylinders? Williams brothers stuff hadn't made it back into production when I bought my kit. Tower has some stuff but I didn't see the cylinders listed on their site.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Models Fleet Biplane

Skypup (the old ultralight from the early 80's?...almost built one),

I'm not sure if I'm an old time modeler but I've been building models since the 60's. I believe the cylinders are now being produced by a company that acquired Williams. They have stuff on their website but I haven't ordered them yet. I ordered the kit a couple weeks back...hoping to have it soon. I switched over to electric several years ago so the plane will be brushless/lipo powered (glow just can't cut it anymore).

Get that kit out and start building!

Ken
W4SWK
1941 Taylorcraft (BC12-65)

Originally Posted by skypup View Post
I got one awhile back but have not had the time to build. I have mostly been flying helis and parkflyers for the past 10 years. I am an old time modeler and have always liked the looks of this plane. Anyone actually find a decent source for those 1/6 wright cylinders? Williams brothers stuff hadn't made it back into production when I bought my kit. Tower has some stuff but I didn't see the cylinders listed on their site.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Try this link to Williams Brothers. I think you will find what you need.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
skypup

Default Old Timer

Skypup (the old ultralight from the early 80's?...almost built one),

I'm not sure if I'm an old time modeler but I've been building models since the 60's. I believe the cylinders are now being produced by a company that acquired Williams. They have stuff on their website but I haven't ordered them yet. I ordered the kit a couple weeks back...hoping to have it soon. I switched over to electric several years ago so the plane will be brushless/lipo powered (glow just can't cut it anymore).

Get that kit out and start building!

Ken
W4SWK
1941 Taylorcraft (BC12-65)
Yes.......I had the plans for the Skypup but did not build it. I did build an easy riser bipe, Eipper MX and a Hi Max.

I started r/c in 1964......if you started in the 60's your are an "old timer".
Ditto on the electric. Isn't it great? Sure makes starting an engine a lot easier

Last edited by skypup; 09-12-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: text
Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
skypup

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Try this link to Williams Brothers. I think you will find what you need.
Jim

Thanks. I found that link but no contact number or ordering info. I figured they just sell to retailers?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Jim

Thanks. I found that link but no contact number or ordering info. I figured they just sell to retailers?
If you follow the link back, scroll to the bottom and click on the Home tab. On that screen, it gives ordering information and a little more current history of the company.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
skypup

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
If you follow the link back, scroll to the bottom and click on the Home tab. On that screen, it gives ordering information and a little more current history of the company.
Thanks Jim........I missed it
Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Fleet Biplane

Well, I have finally started construction on the Fleet. After receiving the kit, I could only look at it and marvel at the quality. Made me think of the way kits were in the old days (quality). I fear the days of kits such as this are soon to disappear.
Tonight, I finished the fin and rudder. I will try to post occasional updates.

Ken

Ken
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
skypup

Default My fleet

Well, I have finally started construction on the Fleet. After receiving the kit, I could only look at it and marvel at the quality. Made me think of the way kits were in the old days (quality). I fear the days of kits such as this are soon to disappear.
Tonight, I finished the fin and rudder. I will try to post occasional updates.

Ken
I've yet to start mine ,although I was able to get my cylinders from Williams brothers and a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialties. I've even considered selling my bipe kit and accessories due to time constraints.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Fleet

I'm sorry to hear that you may not get to a starting point with the Fleet. Unless you are pressed to sell it, I would hang on just to have such a fine kit...as I've said before, I don't think it will be long before good quality kits are not available. If you do decide that you want to sell it let me know, I could probably talk my wife into another.

I'm posting a couple of pics (from my phone) that might motivate you to start. I built the horizontal stabilizer today (35 individual parts!) and was it ever fun!

Ken

I've yet to start mine ,although I was able to get my cylinders from Williams brothers and a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialties. I've even considered selling my bipe kit and accessories due to time constraints.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00093.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	101295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00094.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	101296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00095.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	101297  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
skypup

I'm sorry to hear that you may not get to a starting point with the Fleet. Unless you are pressed to sell it, I would hang on just to have such a fine kit...as I've said before, I don't think it will be long before good quality kits are not available. If you do decide that you want to sell it let me know, I could probably talk my wife into another.

I'm posting a couple of pics (from my phone) that might motivate you to start. I built the horizontal stabilizer today (35 individual parts!) and was it ever fun!

Ken
Looking good Ken. I also have a Pica Waco Bipe kit which I found on Ebay.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

I also have a Pica Waco Bipe kit which I found on Ebay.
Now, THAT I will pretend I DIDN'T hear! Is it a 1/6 or 1/5 ?

Ken
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
skypup

Now, THAT I will pretend I DIDN'T hear! Is it a 1/6 or 1/5 ?

Ken
It's the smaller version. I built one years ago and had it all framed up and sold it. I later heard how well they flew and have wanted one ever since.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Fleet - Upper Wing

I laid out and glued the ribs in the upper wing tonight. Hopefully, I will get the half ribs in tomorrow night. After tomorrow, I will take a little break for a few days. Our oldest son is coming home for a bit, he has done 2 tours in Iraq and we are ready for a visit! More to come...............

Ken

P.S. If you decide to build this plane, study ALL the notes on the plans. This is not a particularly difficult plane to build, it just has a few notes that clarify certain parts of construction.

Name:	IMG00097.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	101436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00098.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	101437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00099.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	101438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00100.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	101439  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
E-Challenged

The Fleet trainer bipe was an especially clean looking design for it's era. I have the no longer available .40 size Barnstormer version that I hope to build in the near future, probably will reduce weight in aft fuselage and tail feathers and mount everything forward as possible to reduce need for nose weight. Recommend you make battery compartment large enough to permit trying different sizes and shapes of battery packs.
I have seen some bipes where the motor, esc and battery packs are on a slide-out tray to facilitate battery changes. This would require some re-engineering of forward fuselage structure. As in all electric powered scale models, lighter takes off and flies much better, does aerobatics better and lands with less damage than heavier.

I just noticed that I have (0) friends under my avatar ??? You can be my friend.

Last edited by E-Challenged; 05-20-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: humorus addition
Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Concept Fleet

HI E,
As you know, Romey designed this plane to be electric powered. The design was done a while back and calls for 18 cells...that's 18 NI-CD cells! As a result, he designed in a HUGE battery tray. I feel I can build the plane around 4 pounds, so it should fly rather scale with 4 cells or so (Lipo).
Having done several large size conversions, I agree that lighter is always better. I recently converted a .60 Kaos to fly in Senior Pattern and was "critized" for building it at 5 lb. 3 oz. I was told that it should be heavier to fly better (guess that's why all the full size aerobatic pilots spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to scrape mere ounces from their planes!) On contest day the wind was 20 gusting to 25 and it seemed to fly OK (good enough for 2nd place Novice) although I think all the wind masked my bad flying. I'll enclose a pic.

Ken

P.S. I lived in SoCal for 20 years...Fallbrook, Banning, Hemet...

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
The Fleet trainer bipe was an especially clean looking design for it's era. I have the no longer available .40 size Barnstormer version that I hope to build in the near future, probably will reduce weight in aft fuselage and tail feathers and mount everything forward as possible to reduce need for nose weight. Recommend you make battery compartment large enough to permit trying different sizes and shapes of battery packs.
I have seen some bipes where the motor, esc and battery packs are on a slide-out tray to facilitate battery changes. This would require some re-engineering of forward fuselage structure. As in all electric powered scale models, lighter takes off and flies much better, does aerobatics better and lands with less damage than heavier.

I just noticed that I have (0) friends under my avatar ??? You can be my friend.

Name:	Ken S.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	101516  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
E-Challenged

If you can build a model light enough and it is fairly aerodynamic, it can fly well on a light yet powerful motor/battery combo. The trouble with short nosed radial engined scale models is keeping the aft fuselage, control linkage, tail wheel and tail structure light so that you don't have to add dead weight to the nose to achieve the proper cg. You may find it necessary to locate battery pack, speed control, receiver and servos as far foward as possible to make good use of a light weight, yet powerful, brushless motor and lipo power system. Plan on using a quality 3S ( 3-cell)2 0C lipo pack and low KV motor capable of spinning a large enough prop for 8-10 minutes at 2/3 throttle.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Resuming Fleet Biplane Project

Well guys, I have retired, married, and moved to a new home. Seems I will now have time to finish the Fleet! I will keep you posted.

Ken

Quick Reply: Concept models Fleet bipe...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11558 seconds with 19 queries