Just ordered a xe2, question on covering - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Just ordered a xe2, question on covering

Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM
munen123

Default Just ordered a xe2, question on covering

Hey you wing nuts! I just ordered a xe2 from combat wings and I had a question about covering the wing.

I was wondering what everyone thinks about taping to cover verus ultracote coverings the wing.

I am fairly new to the whole rc thing, I have taped in small places parts of some of the planes I have and I have used paint to cover one of them but I have yet to use a heat iron and shrink cover.

Does the ultracote covering have any advantages over tape? is it hard to learn? is it worth the expense of buying the iron and rolls of ultracote?

thanks in advance for any advice
Old 12-17-2006, 02:17 PM
jooNorway

If you use the right kind of tape it adds a lot of strenght to the wing. Filmcovering do not give that much strenght.

Another problem could be the heat you need to cover using Oracover. Maybe the wing just melts if you are too hard on temperature...

If you want to add colours using film you should take a look at SoLite. This is propably the film which require least heat to shrink. A normal hair-dryer is able to shrink it!

I have not flown that many wings, but I have added some 1mm carbon-stringers on some of them. Like wing-spars.

Covering is not a problem, but you have to learn it of course. A lot of modellers are scared of covering, I don`t understand why... Read the instructions on the covering rolls and try it.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Covering vs Tape

Hello Munen, the tape adds a lot of strength but if you use carbon spars it may be unnecessary. Either way you can cover foam with iron-on, providing you use a material that can be applied at a temperature low enough to not melt the foam. Here's a link to covering foam wings, with recommendations for material, tools, application temps and color;
http://www.yourzagi.com/covering.htm
Good Luck!
Ron