New Product Announcements Vendors post their latest and greatest products here to let the world know about them

Introducing a 2500mah Li-Poly Transmitter battery

Old 10-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Jacket Man

Default Introducing a 2500mah Li-Poly Transmitter battery

We at Common Sense RC have produced our first Li-poly 2500mah - 11.1 volt pack designed to fit in all Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics and JR radios that use the "square pack" (30mm x 30mm x 100mm). Compared to the 600mah pack that comes with many transmitters, this pack will allow you to fly almost 4 times longer.

We introduced these at the iHobby Expo in Los Angeles last weekend and the response was overwhelming. Personnel from both Hitec and Airtronics purchased packs from us for their personal use!

To charge the pack, we cut the round connector off the charger that was supplied with our transmitter and spliced it onto a patch cord made to connect to our Triton charger. This allows you to charge the transmitter through the charging receptacle as you would the original battery supplied with the transmitter.

Packs can be purchased directly from our website or from your local hobby store.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/commons...products_id=32

We are currently working on a flat pack for other transmitters such as the Hitec Focus and other transmitters.

We also offer an inexpensive ($13 retail) 1 amp wall charger with "auto shut-off" that will charge this pack in 2.5 hours.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TX_pack_color_web.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	3198  
Old 10-30-2005, 01:53 PM
atlav8r
DJ at RCRN

Well done, How do you handle the voltage cut off requirements of the 3 volts per cell?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Jacket Man

The user has to keep an eye on the meter or digital readout on his radio. Other than that, there is no built in protection.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:36 AM
timocharis
Dave North

jm:

Interesting. The peak voltage of a 3s LiPo is a bit higher than 8-cell nimh/nicads; that's okay with the transmitters?

Also, I've been following your comments in the Rake Julian Over The Coals thread and checked out your website. Impressive from both an attitude and a price standpoint!

Who makes your cells?

Dave North
Old 12-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Jacket Man

The transmitters don't have a problem with the 12.6 volts (max charge for 3 cell Lipo). There are lots of guys out there using them. Our supplier is a large contract manufacturer of Lithium Batteries in Asia. All of these factories are "cell phone" type battery experts. The trick is to teach them how to make the technology work for our hobby. So far so good!

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 AM
qban_flyer

Question

Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
jm:

Interesting. The peak voltage of a 3s LiPo is a bit higher than 8-cell nimh/nicads; that's okay with the transmitters?

Also, I've been following your comments in the Rake Julian Over The Coals thread and checked out your website. Impressive from both an attitude and a price standpoint!

Who makes your cells?

Dave North
My question exactly. A freshly charged 3 cell Li-Po pack will deliver up to 12.6V for a period of time before dropping to its nominal 11.1V.

How do we know the TX circuitry is going to survive this abuse, and if so, for how long?:o

Old 12-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Jacket Man

Many radios come with the ability to use 8 AA Alkaline batteries. The total voltage of these is 12 volts. Lots of guys are doing it successfully. At the iHobby show, I sold one to a Hitec technical guy and another to an Airtronics employee.

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old 12-22-2005, 07:01 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jacket Man View Post
Many radios come with the ability to use 8 AA Alkaline batteries. The total voltage of these is 12 volts. Lots of guys are doing it successfully. At the iHobby show, I sold one to a Hitec technical guy and another to an Airtronics employee.

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Two Hitec Eclipse TXs @ DC-RC fried after equipped with three cell Li-Pos. One took four weeks to go South, the other one took one week longer.

Same individual owns both units. Convinced that the Li-Pos caused his problems, he switched to high capacity NiMHs after repairs to the TXs were effected. No more problems since (that was eight months ago). Makes one wonder. The very reason for my question.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

A friend of mine has been using a Lipo in his Hitec Eclipse for about 6 months now without a problem.