General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

ESC not Compatible with RX?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 PM
cver019

Default ESC not Compatible with RX?

RX not being compatible with and ESC?

A little back ground information.
I just bought a flying wing (phantom FX 61) and am using the Devo 7 TX along with the RX702 RX. I have installed the servo's and configured them with Mode 2 and they are working correctly, no problems there. I then went on to "the easy part" simple shift the ESC connector to the throttle port on the RX and away she goes... apparently not.

So for debugging this is what I have done so far.
I used my trust Nine Eagles TX and RX to make sure the ESC and motor are in fact operational. So plugging the ESC into the NIne Eagles receiver with motor and ESC all connected and TX already on, and the motor sings her lovely song to me, i then go further and make sure she spins and all is working (ESC and Motor).

So in my mind the ESC and Motor are atleast functional...

Then i went back to the Devo 7 setup. I did not change any wiring simply unplug ESC connector from Nine Eagles to RX702. The only difference would be the servos staying on the RX702 (they were not connected to the Nine Eagles RX)

Doing the exact same, it is a graveyard, no sound from the motor. Testing that the RX is infact correctly configured i plugged a servo in the throttle port and it confirmed that the RX is sending out the correct signal from the throttle port. Being VERY confused, i paralleled my Polulu O-Scope onto the throttle signal whilst connected to the ESC and ESC to Motor I can tell that the PWM is atleast operational (also verified this by the Servo that i plugged into the throttle port).

I then did the same to the Nine eagles (where the motor is actually spinning), and i found that the pulse width's are identical. To me this means that the receiver is actually telling the ESC the exact same thing (apart from any "pre communications"?)

Hence my question, Are some receivers not compatible with some ESC's?

ALSO
If you are in driving distance of Traverse City Michigan and you solve my problem i will drive to you and buy you a beer, if you are under 18 i will buy you a box of soda.

Thanks for your time
Chris
Old 07-01-2015, 07:03 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Some transmitters require the throttle to be reversed to work with most ESC's... this is true for Futaba but possibly others too.

You may also need to calibrate the ESC throttle range to match the Tx, and/or increase the Tx travel range to give a sufficiently 'low' throttle output for the Tx to arm (or simply move the throttle trim down)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:01 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Never heard of an ESC being incompatible with a radio system...

I have heard of issues with throttle range (generally user error) or reversed throttle channel.

Throttle range can be affected by the trim of the transmitter, especially with "analog trim" (a slider) and may require use of full stick + full trim for some systems. This is not common with digital trims.

I have also had 2 cases of failed ESCs requiring more throttle range than most radios systems can provide (extreme settings with a servo tester got them to arm, but still couldn't get to programming mode to set the throttle range)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Many budget ESC's as mentioned above need TRIM as well as Thr stick to calibrate. Once calibrated trim can be moved to normal position.

Hobby King ESC's are often guilty of this. And it does not matter whether mechanical or digital trim ... the reqt is same.

Nigel
Old 07-01-2015, 02:26 PM
cver019

Firstly thanks a lot for your quick response, i really appreciate it. I was loosing hair/sleep at an alarming rate over this, and im only 25...

I will try all of your recommendations tonight and get back to you ASAP with my findings, i wasn't able to troubleshoot last night i was 'conned' into socializing with the wife and her work colleagues.
Thanks again for your replies.
Chris
Old 07-01-2015, 03:51 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Remove prop when troubleshooting an ESC
Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 AM
cver019

Thumbs up SOLVED!!!

It was the very first thing that i tried (all thanks to you guys).
It was the trim, n couple of 'clicks' down and the motor sang her lovely song to me... almost seems too easy of a solution. So many headache's and time wasted thinking about this for a week straight and two clicks down on the throttle trim problem solved. Never would have thought of that. Thanks a million guys If you are ever in TC, Michigan, USA first round is on me
Thanks again!!!
Chris
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 AM
c.sitas

Alls well that ends well. This post just proves one thing for sure. Well the makers write instructions ,----follow them---- to the ---T. Everyone gets so in a hurry, that they run over themselves. Slow down , reread , and double check. Most of the time ," if it's not to late and you've done something foolish", you'll discover your mistake. ALL the time , make sure you take your prop OFF. Really ,you can still hear the motor with out the prop on.