Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hobby Lobby Cessna 182 ARF Aileron Trainer

Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 AM
ShokWaveRider

Default Hobby Lobby Cessna 182 ARF Aileron Trainer

Has anyone seen a review on this RX ready flyer from Hobby Lobby. I searched and could not find one. I am considering investing (sad, hardly an investment ) in one. I would like to read about other folks experience.

Thanks

SWR
Old 10-31-2006, 01:03 AM
MustGoFaster

I've been digging for this one too, unfirtunately, about the best I have come up with both here and on rcforums(for other 182's) is about a 50% mix between happy and disgruntled owners.

I'm leaning now between the Magister and the E starter. but that's simply based on the info about them. They seem popular, and so I'm hoping just about every stupid thing I'm about to do with mine has already been done, and the fix has been posted for it.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:28 PM
ShokWaveRider

Hi again, my problem is I do not want a goofy looking foam plane. I know I should get over it, but for $79 the HL Cessna may be worth a try. I have a Spektrum DX6 and like the fact is it comes with all except the TX installed and it looks reasonable. The Magister is a little too large for me right now.

Personally I would not fo with a RTF as the radio you get is really a throw away and subject to a lot of 27mhz interference.

I am simply getting too particular over this. Another issue is my LHS(s) hardly have any inventory that I can touch and feel. I think they just sell what is profitable (for them) Sod the punters. I also found them not very knowledgable about electric foam planes in general. they could not explain the differences in Foam Types EPP, EPS, Elapor, Depron etc. All they knew was Depron and insisted there was no such thing a EPP! Also they had never heard of Elapor. I wonder if they even own a computer. That was Hobby World in JAX, FL. I was not impressed. Being an Engineer I HAVE to Know! There is one more shop I still have to try. Harry's Hobbies in JAX. I hope he is better, he has a far better Web Page. AND..... I really do not want a plane that looks like a chunk of appliance packaging.

SWR
Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM
edfire
edfire

true but i would heartilty recommend starting (if your new to flying)with a cheap foamy,such as an estarter or slow stick i know that they may be a little ugly,butin the event of a crash they can be easily repaired,with some five minuite epoxy and you'll be up in the air again very quickly,unlike balsa,graupner produce some rather unfoamy looking foam planes,just have a look around and see,i myself have been flying for over ten years and have only just now decided to get a balsa low wing traditional kit,simply because i rarely crash these days,however if your heart is really stuck on a balsa kit check out the e powered cessna bird dog on hobby lobby's website,its a looker,hope this has been of some help ...ed
Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
ShokWaveRider

Thanks,

Another alternative is to get a foamy and paint it prior to applying the decals. I just hate the packing foam look. If I sanded it down lightly and lightly painted it with a Acrylic of some sort. That may satisfy the urge.

I am still looking for a review on the Hobby Lobby Cessna 182 Aileron Trainer. Someone must have this model. It seems a bargain for $76!

I think I am finding the HL plane is the same as the ART-Tech Cessna 182. Is this a fair statement? If so you can get it with ESC and 2 batteries for a better price than Hobby Lobby if you look around.

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 10-31-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
hauts

Originally Posted by edfire View Post
perkelle satana
Those are some of the things we might say when training happens, even if slightly misspelled.

To thread starter:

If this is to be your aileron trainer and you really intend to learn something with it, it will look ugly after two weeks of training no matter what it's made of. Get a plane that will give you the most flying time and the least repair time.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:54 PM
planekiller

i would say get a zagi on a brushed system. easy to repair an they are really durable ive seen them crash into the ground, goalposts etc and they have only suffered minor damage. you can also create different colour schemes with packaging tape.
i would also say don't get a pretty plane i trained on a GWS pico tiger moth and found i was very worried about crashing it. but ive got over this since nosing it into the ground at full power not good.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Viper918

I have heard the 182 is over weight and under powered as an electric. Same company makes the Skymaster, has the same issues.