Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Stay Quiet

Friends: (0)
Default Eject! Eject! Eject!

I'm seriously considering 'punching out' on the hobby.

Honestly, I think I've flown less than a dozen times this summer. Joe Nall was cancelled after a friend drove from NH to stay with us and fly at the event. E-week is no longer. Club event attendance is down, and the times I went to fly when there wasn't an event, I was usually the only one there. I think most of us will agree that socializing at the field is part of the draw. It's getting hard to justify club and AMA dues for a few flights.

The one and only local hobby shop (by local, I mean it's slightly over an hour drive each way) is for sale, and has been for awhile. Nobody is interested in taking it over as a business. The owners have told me they will probably just liquidate the stock and close the door. One has to wonder how long the big e-commerce stores will last. If Tower Hobbies was bought out...

The dark cloud of further FAA regulation still looms on the horizon. If, like me, you tried reading the proposed regulations link, you, like me, probably realized that no Senator or Congressman actually reads those things. They probably have some aide read it, look at the list of campaign contributors, call them, and ask how their boss should vote. (I'm a bit cynical of politicians right about now, can you tell?)

I still enjoy the design and build phase of the hobby. In fact, I'm currently designing a 76" span 'crop duster-like' plane for that friend from NH. It's glow powered, don't get mad. As far as my personal stable of planes goes, I would have to either crash one or sell one before I would have room to build another for myself.

Maybe I should just keep the radio gear and build a "Battle Bot"! If I'm going to crash, may as well take someone with me!

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

I hate to hear this my friend.

It's hard to not get down with just about everything in this day and age of doom and gloom.

Looming gov't regulations, lack of participation from "real" modelers and all sorts of other things can weigh you down for sure. I feel a lot of that as well in our very small club. I enjoy the camaraderie and banter almost as much as the building and flying itself.

I hope you can find a spark to keep yourself involved and motivated. You are always welcome to come and pull up a chair in my shop and sniff some sawdust anytime you want.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 09-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
You are always welcome to come and pull up a chair in my shop and sniff some sawdust anytime you want.

Thanks Bill. Just don't move your shop to California. Balsa dust causes cancer, but only in California!

Old 09-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Thanks Bill. Just don't move your shop to California. Balsa dust causes cancer, but only in California!
NEVER!!!

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 09-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

For me, it's sad when someone quits the hobby.

With each loss, we lose a little of our power to keep things on a reasonable level with the FAA.
I do believe the AMA is doing what they can, to keep our hobby from being destroyed, but they need our support and membership also.

I haven't had the chance to fly 5 times this year, but I keep hoping I will fly more in the future.

Hope you reconsider.

I think just living in California cause cancer, but they want to blame it on everything else.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

I wonder if anyone in CA ever thought to see if maybe everything causes cancer in rats there. Maybe it's not what they are tested on it's just something normal for California rats to get cancer.

Anywho, I haven't flown for 6 months, it's race season so I'm either at work, working on the car, or at the races. At least down here it's summer all year long so the racing off season will soon be here.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I hate to hear this my friend.

It's hard to not get down with just about everything in this day and age of doom and gloom.

Looming gov't regulations, lack of participation from "real" modelers and all sorts of other things can weigh you down for sure. I feel a lot of that as well in our very small club. I enjoy the camaraderie and banter almost as much as the building and flying itself.

I hope you can find a spark to keep yourself involved and motivated. You are always welcome to come and pull up a chair in my shop and sniff some sawdust anytime you want.
Exactly. Very proud of our club in that regard. Often we are just happy to sit and yarn.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
Porcia83

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I'm seriously considering 'punching out' on the hobby.

Honestly, I think I've flown less than a dozen times this summer. Joe Nall was cancelled after a friend drove from NH to stay with us and fly at the event. E-week is no longer. Club event attendance is down, and the times I went to fly when there wasn't an event, I was usually the only one there. I think most of us will agree that socializing at the field is part of the draw. It's getting hard to justify club and AMA dues for a few flights.

The one and only local hobby shop (by local, I mean it's slightly over an hour drive each way) is for sale, and has been for awhile. Nobody is interested in taking it over as a business. The owners have told me they will probably just liquidate the stock and close the door. One has to wonder how long the big e-commerce stores will last. If Tower Hobbies was bought out...

The dark cloud of further FAA regulation still looms on the horizon. If, like me, you tried reading the proposed regulations link, you, like me, probably realized that no Senator or Congressman actually reads those things. They probably have some aide read it, look at the list of campaign contributors, call them, and ask how their boss should vote. (I'm a bit cynical of politicians right about now, can you tell?)

I still enjoy the design and build phase of the hobby. In fact, I'm currently designing a 76" span 'crop duster-like' plane for that friend from NH. It's glow powered, don't get mad. As far as my personal stable of planes goes, I would have to either crash one or sell one before I would have room to build another for myself.

Maybe I should just keep the radio gear and build a "Battle Bot"! If I'm going to crash, may as well take someone with me!

Get involved in a club, and consider running for office. Find local clubs or groups to try to get them into the hobby, young kids specifically. Pass on your love of building skills to a new generation, not just younger/kids, but people who haven't built. I've been in the hobby 10 years now and am just getting into building. Being part of a club here means I have plenty of help figuring things out.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Get involved in a club, and consider running for office. Find local clubs or groups to try to get them into the hobby, young kids specifically. Pass on your love of building skills to a new generation, not just younger/kids, but people who haven't built. I've been in the hobby 10 years now and am just getting into building. Being part of a club here means I have plenty of help figuring things out.
Been there, done that.

This seems to be the age of 'instant gratification'. Why spend time (and often times, more money) building a kit when you can get a RTF foam plane, and be up in the air in less than an hour? Crash it? No big deal, you'll have another one up in the air tomorrow. I've tried to get my grandsons interested. They look at me like I have three heads. Love the flight simulator on the computer, but have zero interest in flying the 'real thing', much less spending weeks building a kit.

Even I 'cheat' at scratch building my planes, I guess. Rather than cutting and sanding stacks of balsa into wing ribs, I pop them out of a laser cut sheet - but that is because I wanted to take on the new challenge of teaching myself how to use CAD.

Oh well, time to move on to something new and different - and that is already in the planning stage.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions