Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Stay Quiet
Member
 
Stay Quiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA
Posts: 234
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default Eject! Eject! Eject!

I'm seriously considering 'punching out' on the hobby.

Honestly, I think I've flown less than a dozen times this summer. Joe Nall was cancelled after a friend drove from NH to stay with us and fly at the event. E-week is no longer. Club event attendance is down, and the times I went to fly when there wasn't an event, I was usually the only one there. I think most of us will agree that socializing at the field is part of the draw. It's getting hard to justify club and AMA dues for a few flights.

The one and only local hobby shop (by local, I mean it's slightly over an hour drive each way) is for sale, and has been for awhile. Nobody is interested in taking it over as a business. The owners have told me they will probably just liquidate the stock and close the door. One has to wonder how long the big e-commerce stores will last. If Tower Hobbies was bought out...

The dark cloud of further FAA regulation still looms on the horizon. If, like me, you tried reading the proposed regulations link, you, like me, probably realized that no Senator or Congressman actually reads those things. They probably have some aide read it, look at the list of campaign contributors, call them, and ask how their boss should vote. (I'm a bit cynical of politicians right about now, can you tell?)


I still enjoy the design and build phase of the hobby. In fact, I'm currently designing a 76" span 'crop duster-like' plane for that friend from NH. It's glow powered, don't get mad. As far as my personal stable of planes goes, I would have to either crash one or sell one before I would have room to build another for myself.

Maybe I should just keep the radio gear and build a "Battle Bot"! If I'm going to crash, may as well take someone with me!

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Stay Quiet is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,529
View firemanbill's Gallery67
Thanked 796 Times in 784 Posts
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
iTrader: (35)
Friends: (64)
Default

I hate to hear this my friend.

It's hard to not get down with just about everything in this day and age of doom and gloom.

Looming gov't regulations, lack of participation from "real" modelers and all sorts of other things can weigh you down for sure. I feel a lot of that as well in our very small club. I enjoy the camaraderie and banter almost as much as the building and flying itself.

I hope you can find a spark to keep yourself involved and motivated. You are always welcome to come and pull up a chair in my shop and sniff some sawdust anytime you want.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
firemanbill is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Stay Quiet
Member
 
Stay Quiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA
Posts: 234
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
You are always welcome to come and pull up a chair in my shop and sniff some sawdust anytime you want.

Thanks Bill. Just don't move your shop to California. Balsa dust causes cancer, but only in California!

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Stay Quiet is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,529
View firemanbill's Gallery67
Thanked 796 Times in 784 Posts
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
iTrader: (35)
Friends: (64)
Default

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Thanks Bill. Just don't move your shop to California. Balsa dust causes cancer, but only in California!
NEVER!!!

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
firemanbill is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF
 
Wildflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lacey WA, 1 mile E of Mushroom Corner
Posts: 1,877
Thanked 187 Times in 182 Posts
Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
iTrader: (3)
Friends: (8)
Default

For me, it's sad when someone quits the hobby.

With each loss, we lose a little of our power to keep things on a reasonable level with the FAA.
I do believe the AMA is doing what they can, to keep our hobby from being destroyed, but they need our support and membership also.


I haven't had the chance to fly 5 times this year, but I keep hoping I will fly more in the future.


Hope you reconsider.




I think just living in California cause cancer, but they want to blame it on everything else.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Wildflyer is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
 
Glacier Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 2,161
Thanked 164 Times in 154 Posts
Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (6)
Default

I wonder if anyone in CA ever thought to see if maybe everything causes cancer in rats there. Maybe it's not what they are tested on it's just something normal for California rats to get cancer.

Anywho, I haven't flown for 6 months, it's race season so I'm either at work, working on the car, or at the races. At least down here it's summer all year long so the racing off season will soon be here.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Glacier Girl is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,410
View Panther's Gallery10
Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I hate to hear this my friend.

It's hard to not get down with just about everything in this day and age of doom and gloom.

Looming gov't regulations, lack of participation from "real" modelers and all sorts of other things can weigh you down for sure. I feel a lot of that as well in our very small club. I enjoy the camaraderie and banter almost as much as the building and flying itself.

I hope you can find a spark to keep yourself involved and motivated. You are always welcome to come and pull up a chair in my shop and sniff some sawdust anytime you want.
Exactly. Very proud of our club in that regard. Often we are just happy to sit and yarn.
Panther is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
Porcia83
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 543
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Friends: (4)
Default

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I'm seriously considering 'punching out' on the hobby.

Honestly, I think I've flown less than a dozen times this summer. Joe Nall was cancelled after a friend drove from NH to stay with us and fly at the event. E-week is no longer. Club event attendance is down, and the times I went to fly when there wasn't an event, I was usually the only one there. I think most of us will agree that socializing at the field is part of the draw. It's getting hard to justify club and AMA dues for a few flights.

The one and only local hobby shop (by local, I mean it's slightly over an hour drive each way) is for sale, and has been for awhile. Nobody is interested in taking it over as a business. The owners have told me they will probably just liquidate the stock and close the door. One has to wonder how long the big e-commerce stores will last. If Tower Hobbies was bought out...

The dark cloud of further FAA regulation still looms on the horizon. If, like me, you tried reading the proposed regulations link, you, like me, probably realized that no Senator or Congressman actually reads those things. They probably have some aide read it, look at the list of campaign contributors, call them, and ask how their boss should vote. (I'm a bit cynical of politicians right about now, can you tell?)


I still enjoy the design and build phase of the hobby. In fact, I'm currently designing a 76" span 'crop duster-like' plane for that friend from NH. It's glow powered, don't get mad. As far as my personal stable of planes goes, I would have to either crash one or sell one before I would have room to build another for myself.

Maybe I should just keep the radio gear and build a "Battle Bot"! If I'm going to crash, may as well take someone with me!

Get involved in a club, and consider running for office. Find local clubs or groups to try to get them into the hobby, young kids specifically. Pass on your love of building skills to a new generation, not just younger/kids, but people who haven't built. I've been in the hobby 10 years now and am just getting into building. Being part of a club here means I have plenty of help figuring things out.
Porcia83 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Stay Quiet
Member
 
Stay Quiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA
Posts: 234
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Get involved in a club, and consider running for office. Find local clubs or groups to try to get them into the hobby, young kids specifically. Pass on your love of building skills to a new generation, not just younger/kids, but people who haven't built. I've been in the hobby 10 years now and am just getting into building. Being part of a club here means I have plenty of help figuring things out.
Been there, done that.

This seems to be the age of 'instant gratification'. Why spend time (and often times, more money) building a kit when you can get a RTF foam plane, and be up in the air in less than an hour? Crash it? No big deal, you'll have another one up in the air tomorrow. I've tried to get my grandsons interested. They look at me like I have three heads. Love the flight simulator on the computer, but have zero interest in flying the 'real thing', much less spending weeks building a kit.

Even I 'cheat' at scratch building my planes, I guess. Rather than cutting and sanding stacks of balsa into wing ribs, I pop them out of a laser cut sheet - but that is because I wanted to take on the new challenge of teaching myself how to use CAD.

Oh well, time to move on to something new and different - and that is already in the planning stage.

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Stay Quiet is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilot & parachute eject mechanism ideas? mikeweber3 General Electric Discussions 8 03-01-2015 08:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.11586 seconds with 37 queries