Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
Stay Quiet

Club: Campobello Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default This is what happens when you decide to clean your bench

Thought it was time to sort through all the *stuff* accumulating around the workbench. Sorting out balsa, ply, lite ply by size, seeing if those partial rolls of covering were worth keeping, going through what else is sitting in boxes.

As I'm taking inventory, behind the bench, I find a set of rolled plans for the Akro Kat, a control line stunter. I had downloaded the plans from Outerzone, had them printed up, and forgotten about them. Hmmm. I started putting things together - got a motor with plenty of power, with an ESC and 3s lipo to match, and a control line timer. Here's a bellcrank that fits. Pushrod, hinges, control horn, a set of landing gear - complete with wheel pants built up from layers of balsa and sanded to shape, tail skid....

Hey, why not?

No CAD or laser cutting on this one. It's being built "old school" with parts cut by hand, and wing ribs done on a scroll saw. Instead of a full, built up fuselage, I built a 'semi built up' profile fuselage. With a 24" long fuselage, and a 36" wingspan, those short rolls of covering will get the job done. The only thing I don't have on hand is a trailing edge, and a set of lead-outs. So, my total expenditure on this scratch build will be under $10!

Fuselage was completed in two days. The battery box is offset to the outside on a counter-clockwise flight circle. The weight of the motor and battery may make it come out a bit nose heavy, so I'll probably be adding some tail weights.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AkroKat.jpg (786.8 KB, 79 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Acro-Kat CL.pdf (224.1 KB, 8 views)

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

Always wondered how an electric control-liner would perform. I see you have rudder offset. I always used to glue a penny on the outside wing to counteract the weight of the lines.
I often thought of a mono-line controlled by RC. That would be fun to try.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
Stay Quiet

Many C/L fliers are going electric. Special timers with integrated governors keep motor RPM constant regardless of load, which equates to smoother stunt patterns. A lot of carrier contestants use RC throttle control with electric power. I use a simple (inexpensive) timer with pots to adjust for flight times and power levels. Even at the lowest time setting, I still get dizzy, so I spend some time in the "stooge" before I release for flight.

Rudder offset was incorporated into the original plans. The plans also call for outside wingtip weight to compensate for line weight.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Stay Quiet

Four days, start to finish. Total cost on this project was $1.99. I had to buy a set of Brodak lead-out wires. I went through an additional box of balsa scraps and found a trailing edge I could use.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg akrocat.jpg (508.4 KB, 24 views)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft