WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

New micro Fokker D-7 by Tower RTF $79

Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Griff Murphey

Default New micro Fokker D-7 by Tower RTF $79

This is a gorgeous model far and away nicer than their old WW-1 line. The plane comes in the markings of Ernst Udet complete with “Du doch Nicht!” Tailplane markings “you ain’t Gonna get me!” Great lozenge fabric representation on the lower half of both wings and the upper surface of the lower wing, a nicely painted pilot, music wire landing gear... looks like a well built plastic model. The prop even has a laminated wood effect and maker’s tradematk. Streamers are attached to the tailplane.

One feature I am not sure about is the motor. The old line motors were highly fragile and any face plant would often result in a totally jammed engine which in turn would often burn out one or the channels in the receiver brick. At this time a photo of the engine is listed as “coming” on the replacement parts chart, so I cannot say. The plane is solidly glued together rather than taped... I can well admire the great appearance but on a flying model the ease of repair with a taped model is much appreciated. I had thought that since Horizon now owns them maybe they would have gone to tape but no....

Another feature is a super tiny battery, retained by a magnet. I suggest that if you buy one of these planes, you may want to go ahead and order a spare or two.
It comes with a transmitter, which has wire shafts on the gimbal toggles, I can attest that the all plastic ones on their old units were quite fragile.

Have not flown this plane yet!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Cute little plane

Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Griff Murphey

looked good needed a little down elevator trim, I think. I still have not flown mine, it’s been too windy. This morning it was still but I have patients!

Couple of small notes, the lozenge fabric seems to be a rubbery sheet that has been laminated on, by vacuum or pressure. It should strengthen the wings. Because the wings are undercsmber as anyone who has tried to cover an undercamber stick and tissue knows, special care is needed. My D-7 has perfect coverage on the underside of the lower wing but there are a lot of bubbles in the covering onthe underside of the upper wing. Might be worth checking if a dealer had several in stock. Also I tried checking to see if the new transmitter would talk to the old series of Tower WW-1s and the answer is no. I have not weighed mine but it seems extraordinarily light.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Griff Murphey

I have flown the’D-7 about 7 times. It’s pretty tender in the air... gets moved around a lot in comparison to my Horizon micro Stearman. I have not weighed it but it’s super light compared with that Stearman. It has that curved dihedral stick and tissue guys are familiar with which is likely an Issue with the lamination of the Mylar like covering on the wings. I’m no expert and am likely not as good a pilot as that 9-10 year old kid in the video Chelle forwarded but I have never had a stick and tissue with this curved dihedral that flew well. This plane likes to swoop up with the slightest increase in throttle.

Still, it’s good looking and fun if a slight challenge to fly- should be great indoors!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	910.9 KB
ID:	187617  

Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-12-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Ai