ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Repairing Landing Gear - Help Please!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 AM
Queestce

Default Repairing Landing Gear - Help Please!

G'day all,

I'm a fairly new owner of a Gamma 370 Pro, luckily I haven't managed to crash it too badly as yet! I have however had an issue... I landed heavily on one of my first attempts and managed to rip the landing gear off altogether, I tried to repair it using Supaglue (CA) and that worked for a while, but I just landed in some longish grass and the drag on the gear broke the glue joint - which was very brittle - and pulled the gear out again. I am now at a loss as to what I should use to repair it and stick the gear back in. Basically I just need to attach the plastic back onto the foam. I wondered if anyone on here might be able to point me in the direction of what glue/tape/anything else to use in order to achieve this, and to keep the gear stuck in the future? I'll attach some pictures so you can see what I'm working with...

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	178459   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	178460  
Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Abuelo

Originally Posted by Queestce View Post
G'day all,

I'm a fairly new owner of a Gamma 370 Pro, luckily I haven't managed to crash it too badly as yet! I have however had an issue... I landed heavily on one of my first attempts and managed to rip the landing gear off altogether, I tried to repair it using Supaglue (CA) and that worked for a while, but I just landed in some longish grass and the drag on the gear broke the glue joint - which was very brittle - and pulled the gear out again. I am now at a loss as to what I should use to repair it and stick the gear back in. Basically I just need to attach the plastic back onto the foam. I wondered if anyone on here might be able to point me in the direction of what glue/tape/anything else to use in order to achieve this, and to keep the gear stuck in the future? I'll attach some pictures so you can see what I'm working with...

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom
Tom, try repairing with the white gorilla glue with some tape over the outside joints to keep the glue from expanding outside the fuse.

From the photos it appears the plane has a weak design. When the landing gear is pushed back by a less-than-perfect landing the gear mount is stressed and can pivot forward. With no foam or other structure forward there is only the glue joint behind the mount to hold everything in place. Suggest re-engineering the mount with something to resist the forward rotating motion.

Might also rough up the foam so the gorilla glue has more surface to adhere to, or even glue a dowel section into the foam and glue (and screw?) the landing gear mount to it.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on and what works.

Abuelo
Old 11-21-2014, 06:49 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I second the Gorilla Glue.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Gorilla Glue or its generic version - PU wood glue. But beware its considerable expansion. If left to own devices - it will twist and mis-align the item. So tape / block securely.

My preference is Epoxy - 5 min.

OK - question ? How much damage can you accept ? Remember, if you beef up mounting, you will increase possibility of serious structural damage. Most models are designed with 'breakout' landing gear for that reason.
Landing in grass is a lot of stress for small to medium models.
I am always reluctant to strengthen mountings too much.

Nigel
Old 11-22-2014, 05:39 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

this model looks like a easy hand toss and belly landing would work also. so consider the landing gear as optional. might not be desirable if your to new at the sticks but with a little practice it is a solution to the broken gear.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:31 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Canopy Glue...fix for all of my foamy mishaps. I guarantee it would work for the landing gear, as it is very flexible, yet you'd have to give it a good torque to break the joint. It doesn't expand, and water washes it. I've used it on my UMX Pitts, after breaking the nose of it, and I just had to use something to hold the break, and I used water to wash away the glue seeping out of the seam of the break (when it is still wet). The result was an almost undetectable break, and a guarantee to hold...in fact it I were to crash again and hit the same area, I bet the break would not be at the glued break. I will be using this glue for hinging on my builds too.

http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap...60-canopy-glue

Not trying to spam my way around with this glue, but it is truly a remarkable glue, way better than Uhu Por, which is hard to clean off and discolors white foam.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

If you decide to go with gorilla glue. I would suggest using Gorilla clear tape to hold you part in place rather than just regular packing tape.

http://gorillatough.com/gorilla-clea...GekhoCUn7w_wcB
Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Queestce

Thanks for all the replies guys. Gorilla Glue seems to be the consensus, and probably the easiest for me to obtain. I will grab some tomorrow and have a play. Abuelo, I have an idea for a way to increase the structure slightly, will post up some pics when (/if) it works. Belly landings would be okay, but the prop clearance is such that it would contact the ground every time? Never tried hand launching, I'm terrible at throwing at the best of times, hah.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Suggest you do test run with Gorilla Glue on scrap. Then you will see the expansion we talk about. GG exerts a lot of pressure when it cures and forces its way out in surprising ways!

If you go to hardware shop - you can buy cheaper and larger bottle of PU Wood glue - same stuff.

Usual way to beef up something like this - is two wood rails lengthwise across the area... spreading load. Only needs something like 1/4 sq light stock... maybe 1/2" longer each end than opening.

Nigel
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 PM
hoosier37

Haven't read too carefully if this glue was mentioned but if that is EPP I sure like using Welders glue. It dries up and has some flex to it. It grips like crazy on EPP. If you are not familiar with this glue it resembles the silicone stuff. It has nothing with welders that weld metal. Welders is the brand name. Lowe's had it for a while but now I order it off the internet, a pain, but that is my main glue for EPP stuff. For instant stick you get the glue on both sides and let sit for 5-7 minutes. Then put parts together. You still have a bit of time to line up the two parts.