Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

is the Micro t-28 a good beginner?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 AM
mitrocus

Default is the Micro t-28 a good beginner?

Is the Micro t-28 a good beginner plane? I wanted a cool looking plane and I found this and thought it would be pretty good. Also, how much miles of wind can it handle? I recently had my Champ and I'm returning it since it broke on the 3rd flight. I know I could have gotten a replacement but it really broke off.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by mitrocus View Post
Is the Micro t-28 a good beginner plane? I wanted a cool looking plane and I found this and thought it would be pretty good. Also, how much miles of wind can it handle? I recently had my Champ and I'm returning it since it broke on the 3rd flight. I know I could have gotten a replacement but it really broke off.
Welcome to the hobby and Wattflyer!

To be perfectly honest: If you have only three flights in the Champ, the UM T28 is not the right plane for you right now. You need more time in a high-wing trainer. A low-wing warbird like the T28 is not as forgiving as the Champ. I would repair or replace the Champ and keep learning on it. Also, the T28 is a lot more fragile than the Champ (I own both, so I know what I'm talking about).

The UM T28 can probably handle winds up to 10mph, but anything more than 2-3 mph is going to be a handful for a beginner in a small plane like this one. Also, the UM T28 is a bit under powered, which makes it more difficult to fly it out of trouble under windy conditions.

That being said, if you want to stay on the micro path, the T28 is a great second plane *AFTER* the Champ!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 AM
mitrocus

How much miles can the Champ handle? Never checked.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
dkrhardy

Dead calm! Some folks say they fly it in the wind, but from my experience I can tell you it would not be fun. Constant fight if there is anything more than a gentle breeze. The plane does not have enough power to make headway into the wind and it is so light that it is tossed about. Other than that, it is nearly perfect as a 1st trainer.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

For what it's worth, based on my fairly recent experience I'd move up to something like a Wot4 Fom E type plane.
Bigger = more stable in wind and cheap spares like servos from HK, easier to see at a safe height for learning new moves.
Foam= easily repaired.
It can be as docile or as aerobatic as you chose to make it with the throws.
Plenty of power straight out of the box.
Not sure if you can get one in the US easily but I'm sure there are plenty of other planes of similar design. The Wot4 ARTF retails at around 100 in the UK, just needs your radio and a 2.2 3S Lipo.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 PM
prof_fate

I have many hours on a champ and got a t28 over the weekend - it is not easy to fly, at least for me. Some of that was control throw,but it is a very very different airplane.

It and the champ were probably the two most popular models at the fly in and the T28 is a lot faster and capable of amazing flight in the hands of an experienced pilot.

You could go for a bigger plane - mentor, apprentice, fun cub are ones I hear a lot of good things about - bigger can handle the wind better so you get more stick time and more practice leads to better piloting skills.

Keeping a plane flying and being able to fly a plane are two different things. I can keep the T28 in the air but was I in control? No, not really.