General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Servo testing

Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 AM
crobar

Default Servo testing

Does anyone have a simple way to test servos without a receiver before installing them? What kind of power source etc.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Does anyone have a simple way to test servos without a receiver before installing them? What kind of power source etc.

I've designed and built up several servo testers over the years, using a microcontroller. Circuitry is quite simple, microcontroller is not. It must be programmed. But the circuitry is simple as it can get.

I think there are several servo test units in the internet, you might try googling servo tester and see what you get.

Found this one:
http://www.york-electronics.com/
Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

About $5 - will do 3 at a time

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8296
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

+1 - I use the York servo tester. It saves me countless hours of work on servo setup. They are great for finding binds, improper linkage setup, proper control throws so many things. It is fantastic, worth three times what it costs.

I also like that I can use it to cycle new servos for 5 minutes or so. It is a great test feature.

I don't know why more folks don't use them.

Mike
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Same here. I use the servo tester and hook it up to a little 5 volt wall wart I had laying around. I soldered a servo connector on the end of the wall wart lead so it plugs right in to the servo tester.

Here's the one I use. $8.41 with free shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/e-sky-e...icopters-15594

Last edited by Grasshopper; 02-26-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Same here. I use the servo tester and hook it up to a little 5 volt wall wart I had laying around. I soldered a servo connector on the end of the wall wart lead so it plugs right in to the servo tester.

Just a note:
For other wattflyer readers, make certain that wall wart has a regulated 5 volt DC output. Some of them are nothing more than a transformer, with a bridge rectifier and capacitor. The output voltage of these things vary all over the map, depending on servo loading. They could exceed the safe maximum voltage rating of your servos.

Easy to check, just plug in the wall wart, and put a digital voltmeter across the units output wires. If its output is regulated at five volts, you should measure 5.0 volts DC. If it's 6 or 7 volts, or more, don't use it on servos.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I use this one http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D0736126

It has 4 AA batteries inside, but you can power it externally.

It has more features than just moving servos, it can measure the pulse coming out of your rec. and will read RPM, + others,-- total 7 things

Mine is so handy while setting up a plane, that it lives in a drawer just under the counter.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Just a note:
For other wattflyer readers, make certain that wall wart has a regulated 5 volt DC output. Some of them are nothing more than a transformer, with a bridge rectifier and capacitor. The output voltage of these things vary all over the map, depending on servo loading. They could exceed the safe maximum voltage rating of your servos.

Easy to check, just plug in the wall wart, and put a digital voltmeter across the units output wires. If its output is regulated at five volts, you should measure 5.0 volts DC. If it's 6 or 7 volts, or more, don't use it on servos.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems but that doesn't I haven't just been lucky.