Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

balancing lipo packs in series

Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
cliffh

Default balancing lipo packs in series

I have an airplane that will use 2, 2S 3200 mAh lipo packs.

I have a Hobbico Mark II charger that will charge 2 separate lipo's but limits current to 1 amp each.

I balance my current lipo's using a Blinky balancer.

I'd like to purchase a charger that can charge 5 cells at 3500 mAh and wire the lipo packs in series. I have no problem making the adapter and getting the connections correct for charging in series, HOWEVER, how do I go about balancing the packs?

I'm thinking about just balancing one while charging and one after charging with the Blinky. I could also just buy another additional Blinky, but I also understand that packs do not NEED balanced each charge, so I could just alternate balancing while charging.

Am I planning on anything wrong here?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
BuzzardBait
Landing Gear?????????

I believe that you will run into a myriad of problems here...

Maybe my maths off here... but.. if you wire 2 packs in series.. wouldn;t you effectively double the voltage in the circuit???

**Edit**

Now that Matt posted... I now understand how you are going to wire this up.. I was thinking you were going to split out the individual cells in each battery through the connector and then wire that in series.. Brain flatulation!

** End Edit**

I'f it were me.. (and i'm in the same boat wanting to charge several 2s packs at the same time, BTW), i would just by another charger and run both chargers at the same time off my 12V car battery

Last edited by BuzzardBait; 10-17-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

When you wire multiple packs in series, the voltages add up. It doesn't double the voltage of each cell. In fact, wiring in series doesn't affect the voltage of the individual cells at all.

The only potential issue I see with balancing one of the packs at a time while charging is that it could actually create an out-of-balance situation.

Since you don't need to balance every time, save balancing for the end of the day. Charge the pack as a unit, then balance each sub-pack afterwards.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
cliffh

Thanks Matt, that makes sense to me.

Yep, I was just thinking that 2 - 2 cell lipos could/can be charged as 1 - 4 cell lipo (if wired in series) on a charger that will charge up to 5 cells that I am looking at.

And you are correct there Buzzardbait, that I could simply purchase another charger. I'm just thinking that I may not really be gaining anything if I could simply charge the packs with one charger.

Last edited by cliffh; 10-18-2007 at 01:53 AM.