iTrader talk Discuss specifics about transactions both postive and negative. No bashing allowed, please keep the tone civil with facts.

Word of mouth, is it reliable?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:11 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Default Word of mouth, is it reliable?

I have noticed on some online shops are offering some pretty irresistable jobs. Thier job is to go around to different forums and say good things about said store. Sounds great, how bad can this be?

I rely on the word of everyday people on the forums to tell me about their experiences with different vendors. This tells me that some of the people I had been looking to for recomendations might be expressing positive comments, because they are being paid for it. This just makes me less trusting of what anyone might be telling us.

Ok, I don't know where I am going with this. I was just experessing something I had noticed, and I suppose I am asking if anyone else has noticed this. Also, what, if anything, they have done to counter this.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Twmaster

If you are paid to wander around the Intarweb and spout how great a certain vendor or store is then that makes you a shill.

Shill: shill is an associate of a person selling a good or service, who pretends no association and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage other potential customers, unaware of the set-up, to purchase said good or service.

Which in my eyes makes you an unreliable source of information. I look at shills as even worse than trolls.

If you are thinking about getting a job please consider Mc Donalds before becoming a shill.

Last edited by Twmaster; 08-19-2007 at 05:09 AM. Reason: fixed link to Wikipedia
Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Major Danger
Cascadia Militia

When all else fails, trust your friends with reputation. Their opinion's matter most.

The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage other potential customers, unaware of the set-up, to purchase said good or service
Hence the rise of the ever popular "Infomercial". Long or short versions. How the hell can anyone get excited about a knife that cuts through a tomato is beyond me. They're paychecks make them excited I'm sure.

It's all hype. Sadly I've known a couple of Pastor's like this. They walk around as though they've been sedated heavily, but put a pulpit in front of em and the the lights come on like someone is home and they're suddenly Mr. Perky.

Anyway, as I said your best word of mouth hype to believe:

When all else fails, trust your friends with reputation. Their opinion's matter most.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:23 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Huh?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:31 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
If you are paid to wander around the Intarweb and spout how great a certain vendor or store is then that makes you a shill.

Shill: shill is an associate of a person selling a good or service, who pretends no association and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage other potential customers, unaware of the set-up, to purchase said good or service.

Which in my eyes makes you an unreliable source of information. I look at shills as even worse than trolls.

If you are thinking about getting a job please consider Mc Donalds before becoming a shill.
think Wilbur was mainly talking about trusting advise rather than doing it...he's got a job already. lol naughty Monkey, stirring up trouble!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

If you folks spot any here, let us know. We don't mind folks expressing an opinion as long as they are above board in the affiliation and have it in their signature or tag line.