General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

New member introduction and need advice on a second plane

Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 PM
toddeshpeter

Default New member introduction and need advice on a second plane

Hello my name is Todd and I am new to this forum. Nearly 15 years ago I started working in a hobby shop and I was mostly into racing RC cars but always had an interest in the airplanes. I worked there for 4 years then went on a 10 year hiatus from the hobby until recently my Uncle came to visit.

My Uncle's name is Mark Trent and he flies small and large scale planes and is sponsored by Bud Light. Anyways after he got home (long distance) he sent me a care package that included a Fancy Foam Vrolet biplane, Futaba T6XA radio, Rimfire 28-22-1380 outrunner motor, Phoenix-10 spd ctrl, and a bunch of servos and batteries etc.

I built the plane and have flown it about 10 times. I crashed and repaired it 3 or 4 times and now I can consistently fly it without crashing. The plane is a little beat up from the previous crashes and I am wanting to buy a second plane.

I eventually want to get a bigger plane with something like a 42" wingspan but for now I want something that I can transfer my electronics to to save some money. I have been looking at the other planes on the fancy foam website and have had my eye on the 32" Yak-55 (indoor) and the 32" Yak-55 airfoil (outdoor). Both have a 32" wingspan but seem to require different motors/spd ctrl. I think the airfoil version might be a little heavier and I am not sure if my electronics will work in it. Are these planes good for my situation? Or is there something else out there that could be recommended?

Also it might help if I tell you the kind of flying I do. I have been flying outdoor in a subdivision that hasn't started building houses yet but has paved roads (perfect since it is wide open and has a runway) in little to no wind.

Also I just ordered an new Futaba 6J radio system since the T6XA I have doesn't have expo and the nicads are old and won't hold a charge for very long. I am using 2 and 3 cell lipos that have 350 mah.

If it would be much better I would be willing to just go straight to a larger plane (42") but I would have to wait a little longer to get it.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to WF Todd! I'll let more knowledgeable folks answer your questions...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Welcome to wattflyer toddeshpeter.

That setup won't work with the planes you want you will need more watts and battery to fly those planes plus a higher amp ESC. That Airfoil would need at least a 300 watt motor to fly good, and a 30 amp ESC plus a 3cell battery in the 2200 mah range.
I don't believe you current power system will work with it though. Here is a link to the other plane with what they reccomend for a setup still puts out more then what you have.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...ex&cPath=21_25
Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 AM
toddeshpeter

Thanks for the welcome! What they recommend is confusing to me. For the motor they say a 26 gr. I assume that means a weight of 26 grams but that doesn't say anything about watts or power.

Also you suggest a 30 amp spd ctrl and 2200 mah pack but the recommendation on that link you posted says 12 amp spd ctrl and in the video they said they use anywhere from 500-1100 mah packs.

I am not trying to argue I am just confused. Am I missing something? I realize I am new and I have been reading a lot on this forum but it gets confusing when different manufacturers use different terms like in the example above when fancy foam recommended a 26 gram motor and others use wats etc.

Since my electronics won't work for those planes should I just save up and go with a 42" plane or is there any good non biplanes out there that will work with what I have? Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

The setup for the airfoilz is what I was referring to with a 30 amp esc and 300 watt motor plus the battery. this site says you can get away with a smaller motor.
http://www.airfoilz.com/nx-series/1-...54-nx-kit.html

I have the Edge 540 and it flew great on a 260 watt motor. It's little on the heavy side now from doinking it in a few times.
I would save up and just keep flying that plane you have learn it inside and out,and have fun with it.
Some one else will chime in on what to use your power setup on great bunch of wattheads here.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
toddeshpeter

I see what you are saying. I really like the planes in that link. I think I will keep flying my biplane like you said and order the Airfoilz Extra 300 NX and start building it on the side and eventually order the electronics for it soon.