Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Advice on First canard build

Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default Advice on First canard build

Started another luft pusher, a Henschel Hs p87, that was( apparently), the inspiration behind the Japanese shinden. Got the wings and fuse pretty much sorted, power system ready to go, and enough lee way for different batteries, and control surfaces. The centre of gravity eludes me. Any ideas on figuring this out? Plus, as a first canard scratchbuild, any tips on trimming or flying pitfalls to watch out for, or any specifics I need to know? Logically, if canards were better than a conventional layout, they would be far more common, So i am suspecting there is more to this than meets the eye. Will do a build thread on pusher park jets, with some pic's soon. Cheers...
Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 AM
gyrocptr

Here's a link to a CG calculator for canards. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the web page. Suggest about +3 degrees angular difference in the canard, as compared to the wing incidence.

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/index5.htm

Here's a link to a canard forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613556
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

If youre willing to fork out between $16USD to $20USD for a book, "Basic RC model design" by Andy Lennon.
I bought it a few weeks ago and can't put it down.
Written for the scratch builder, has all the complicated formluas and easy explaination of them.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:27 PM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default On my way....

Thanks Gyrocptr and Huffy01; the links were great, and explained lots that I needed to know. Will post some pics in the "Pusher park Jets" forum when the build is more advanced. It will be all epp and coreflute, with balsa ailerons, so fairly crash resistent for the initial testing. Just wondering how it will handle wind, Cheers
Old 11-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I wouldn't have a clue if it could handle the wind? I would be wondering if it flew any different to a normal shaped aircraft!!
How many of the Luft46 designs have you built so far?
It's a wicked website, if I had more money to buy building material I would try to have a hanger full of those designs.
Good luck with the Henshel Hs 87 ,it's a nice looking plane.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default latest count....

Hi Huffy01, handling the wind is important, as that is all we ever seem to get around around here picked luft 46 planes for there "what if....." value, plus the tailless designs and swept wings really handle the elements. If it can't fly in a storm, it really doesn't get flown. Have the Me 163 Komet, and 262, both from kits made by S&B in Brisbane, Scratchbuilt semi scale Arado 234 blitz, He 162 Salamander ( the worst flying plane i have ever made), A p-series Blohm and Voss, which is Brilliant, and am working on an Arado Projekt 1 delta, Lippisch p20, Focke-wulf 198 and the Henschell. Totally no interest in American or japanese planes, although I appreciate the quality of lots of the builds seen on this website. Have a passing interest in British aircraft though. typing this at work right now, so unable to put up pic's, but you can check them out under my name. Where in Oz are you? Very few Australians seem to post on here... all the best.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I'm living on a 90arce property near the the township of Clayton in South Australia.
I certainly understand about wind. The property is only about 10 kms as the crow flies from the Southern Ocean, when the wind blows and it does alot ,it's normal fast and cold.
Most days it to fast to go flying. I only have a Radian e-glider flying at the moment .
It's great flying with a little breeze but when its blowing at about 10 knots there the fear of crashing and the boredom of hovering in the air.
I was thinking of build something from luft46 with a ducted fan but I broke the unit while trying to find the motor size.
The book I mentioned before (basic RC model aircraft design) has a section on design/building canard/ 3 wing aircraft and there is alot of things to take in like votex from the forewing etc but the book is about scratch built design .
You have a plan so you don't need to think about the guidelines.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some ideas....

Hi Huffy01, good to see you have plenty to room to fly at least I've written lots of posts about the S&B Komet as a plane for all weather, and if you can fly the radian, then the Komet won't be a hassle. With all the planes I have built, flown, and crashed, it is by far the best, in all weather. As a beginners plane, you can slow it right down and use a low powered motor, and it is almost indestructable. Great intro for a luft 46 plane, and it is Aussie made Fly's total rings around a stryker and will last 50 times longer too. I found it better to learn on than an easy star, and a heap more fun. The potential is enormous. Apart from all that, let me know if you decide to scratch something from the website. I have an edf sitting here waiting to go into something else as well.....
Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I've got a river out the front as well so I am thinking of seaplanes as well.
I've got a fair bit on the go at the moment.
I'm in the last stages of completing a Great planes Spirit Elite, I have a pieces plane ,made of 2 .40 nitro planes with scratch built fuselage.
I've started cutting out wing ribs for a scratch built pylon racer.
The weather being so awful at the moment just last week it was windy and 43C, this week its windy, raining and 20C I've decided to try a 1/5 gas RC car, really hoping!!!
Anyway I was looking through that book and found the page with the formula ,how to find c.g. and neutral pressure points.
It's to confusing to try to type it so I will take a scan of it soon and post it.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

Thumbs up

Here is a scan from the canards,tandem wings and three surface designs section from the book Basics of R/C model aircraft design.
The formula is on the bottom left of the page the one on the right is for a different wing type.
I hope it helps .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img004.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	114361