Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Hobby Lobby A-10 aerodynamics

Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM
martin_05

Default Hobby Lobby A-10 aerodynamics

I've been working on this new A-10...lots of mods

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/a_10_wart...71555_prd1.htm

The trailing edges on all surfaces were extremely thick (about 5mm) so I decided to sharpen them. After much careful sanding I brought them down to 1mm. The elevator and vertical stabilizers were easy. The wing required some care because it appeared to use an undercambered profile and I didn't want to mess with it too much.

The changes helped in a very visible way. The model flies a lot better now and low speed performance has improved significantly. I haven't takend the time to measure it yet but I know that I get more flight time because I don't have to be at full throttle all the time. It also carries more energy going into loops whereas before I had to be very careful about how to enter a large loop.

This model never really few very well when inverted. I am wondering what else I should look for in terms of build or design issues in order to fix this. When I roll it over it is really unhappy, requiring lots of aileron work to keep it there. Let's put it this way, I would not dare doing a low inverted fly-by for fear of putting it into the ground.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Martin
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Martin, I think the undercambered airfoil is killing you with the inverted flight... You gotta push so much down elevator to hold it, that you're on the verge of a high speed stall all the time and that makes it unstable in roll.