Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Easy Build Seaplane Plans

Old 12-25-2018, 01:17 AM
trying2fly

Default Easy Build Seaplane Plans

I would like to build a seaplane that would launch from grass and be easy to build. We often have no rain, in far West Texas so I could just take off in rough terrain where wheels would not work. Does there exist free simple to follow seaplane plans? Thanx!
Old 12-27-2018, 12:59 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Although not a plan, I have an Alien Aircraft Dragon 42 seaplane. It flys great and would take off grass with no problem.

It has a flat bottom hull shape, I think that would be the best for grass.

Check at Aerofred.com or Outerzone for plans. Asimple Google search for model seaplane plans should work also.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 PM
trying2fly

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Although not a plan, I have an Alien Aircraft Dragon 42 seaplane. It flys great and would take off grass with no problem.

Check at Aerofred.com or Outerzone for plans. Asimple Google search for model seaplane plans should work also.
thanx!!!!!1
Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

One of the best and actually not difficult to build All Terrain planes is the POLARIS.

Standard plan size uses :

Typical 2826 2200kv motor
30 - 40A ESC
6x4 .. 6x5 E prop (I use a 6x4 3 blader)
1500 - 2200 3S LiPo with a 1750 about the best compromise.

Can be built in Dollar Tree Foam or Depron ...

This was my first ... some years ago !

Then my next had a few personal modifications ..

Such as servos out in the wing halves.

Then a few more as I wore out each one !! I'm on #6 now ...

Here's a water flight :

Here's my #5 on grass ..

Here's my present 'Fly the Flag' Vers 6 of grass ...

I have attached the plan if interested ....

Nigel
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Polaris.pdf (369.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:57 AM
trying2fly

Thank you Nigel. The Polaris is an excellent suggestion. It is a fine looking craft and the plans are straight forward. I appreciate your taking time to include the plans and construction guide. You continue to provide support and encouragement to us all. Thanx again!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If you want a kit model that flies awesome as well as not costing an arm and a leg ... Hobby King has the Glue and Go series ... the Arctic Cat is a very good model with similar to the Polaris.

The reference during the video to BS ... is because of a thread on RCG where so called experts talk about bad handling on water etc. Turns out the main person who says that - did not build it correctly !! As you see from my video - she is absolutely fine on water ... and same on grass etc. When the video was posted on RCG - he and his pals went very quiet !!

The video shows same gear used as with Polaris ... 2826 2200kv ... 6x5 prop ... and I advise a 40A ESC .. I fly her on 2200 and 1750 3S ...

Modifications I think are worthwhile for Polaris :

Split aileron servos fitted into wing through from top.

I use scrap foam to provide covers under ...

Flatten out and box the battery area so the chosen battery fits and is held in correct position.

Enlarge the ply plate that stiffens the Fin to Fuselage / wing joint ... I use Fruit Box thin ply (local market saves the boxes for me !)

You can also see down the front of the fin ... where the inner of the 3 layers leaves a deep groove - this lets me put the motor and servo wires external instead of as per plan buried in the fin. Simple tape over top keeps all in place but if needed easily serviced ..

I do not have any gear in the lower hull / fuselage, all gear is above wing ...

With Arctic Cat - there is only one modification that I found necessary :

The bulkhead in front of the battery - I cut out a square section that fits the battery. The battery then slides through to get the CoG right. It also provides to hold battery in place along with a simple strip of velcro in the bottom.

I have other waterplanes ... Hobby King Skipper (not one of my favourites I have to admit .. similar to Polaris but not as good a flyer), Hobby King Cessna on floats - terrible !! , scratch built 'Drake' ,,, simple and interesting on Rud Elev only ! and various fun stuff that really were tests to see what worked ...

and there is one that is really so far out - I wonder if it could ever work ... Parkjet twin on floats !! This came about because it was impossible to get this to launch. Its a tiny model but with over 750W power from its twin 3500kv motors. So I wondered if on floats I could get her to fly ... to be honest - I've been 'scared' to try it !!

Whatever you choose ... ENJOY !!

And if I can help in any way ... always here on Wattflyer..

Cheers
Nigel

Last edited by solentlife; 12-28-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Something different about linking videos ...

Nigel
Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 PM
trying2fly

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post

Thank you....did you make your own plans?

Last edited by trying2fly; 12-28-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-28-2018, 03:39 PM
trying2fly

Thank you so much Nigel. You virtually have a plethora of ideas and builds that are fantastic. I will keep you posted on my build but nothing I can do will match anything I have seen from you....thanx again The Arctic Cat is the plane with the best lines.. but you have thrown out others that are great also!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:53 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The Arctic Cat really does fly well ... in order of preference for me :

1. Polaris
2. Arctic cat
3. Drake
4. Skipper
5. Cessna

Nigel
Old 12-28-2018, 04:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Here are a few sites to think about :

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...de1ed3bb9a74a4

https://aerofred.com/

https://outerzone.co.uk/
Old 12-28-2018, 04:05 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

One aspect as Wildflyer pointed out ... you can create a waterplane for grass etc. by building a flat suitable fuselage bottom.

The trick being to make sure its wide and deep enough to displace the models weight of water without being too deep in the water. Plus of course having a step in the fuselage bottom to create the 'break' from surface tension etc.

Any high wing model in fact can be modified to do it ... but of course it means some design skill to adapt.

Its best to stay away from Float fitted planes if you want to fly of grass ... floats are OK on water but tend to dig into snow and grass. The hull based fuselage types are far better.

Nigel
Old 12-28-2018, 10:24 PM
trying2fly

Excellent flyer and a good looking plane. Good job flying and building......did that touch a go damage anything?? Sounded a little different after the touch and go?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 PM
trying2fly

You mean build something like a Polaris without pontoons? Just a flat btm if I wanted to run on dirt-grass only? Maybe make the bottom flatter with not so much a curve to it?
Old 12-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

This is a Alien Aircraft Dragon 42 seaplane. It has a flat bottom surface. Many small seaplanes are similar, larger planes start to be more contoured on the bottom. Mine has a small Himax motor, running on a 1300 mah 3cell battery. Flew for 21 minutes and yet still had enough power to take off grass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon 42.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	187230  
Old 12-29-2018, 08:33 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by trying2fly View Post
You mean build something like a Polaris without pontoons? Just a flat btm if I wanted to run on dirt-grass only? Maybe make the bottom flatter with not so much a curve to it?
No .. Polaris should be built as plan ... the wing sponsons are important.

The curvature allows the model to 'rotate' and climb out.

My comment to not build - was based on the floatplane such as Cessna etc. - the floats are not as easy to use on grass ... they really are a water only system ... or snow / ice. The models with fuselage as the flotation are much better and forgiving for grass use. Wildflyers Dragon is a good example .. Polaris and Arctic Cat also.

My reason for advising Polaris - is that it has no 'legs' to fit wing sponsons ... its a simple delta wing giving immense lift while easy to build. Flat plate with no wing ribs or form to create.

Nigel
Old 12-29-2018, 06:01 PM
trying2fly

That plane of yours is a beautiful work of art and genius!!!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:03 PM
trying2fly

I thoroughly understand Nigel...thank you for your knowledge and experience!! Makes perfect sense!! chas
Old 12-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I just haven't found the time to build a Polaris yet, but it is on my list. They are good flyers on anything slippery.
I have seen a picture of one with short landing gear for hard surface but I don't know quite how he did it. I haven't studied the plans enough to see how to mod it if necessary.

I have Stryker wing that someday will look sorta like a Polaris, I hope.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:07 PM
trying2fly

Are you going to put a "canopy" or something similar on your Stryker wing to make it a seaplane or just to take off from grass?
Old 12-29-2018, 06:41 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

My Arctic cat and Polaris have flown off tarmac and concrete ... as well as Grass, Snow, Dirt / Sand and Water.

I paint coats of clear varnish over my colour scheme with extra coats on the bottom. This creates a skin that is light and easily touched up as it gets scratched.

Nigel
Old 12-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Originally Posted by trying2fly View Post
Are you going to put a "canopy" or something similar on your Stryker wing to make it a seaplane or just to take off from grass?
I am going to make that one with a high motor in the back like a Polaris, and a flat surface on the bottom made out of depron, with a step just behind CG.
I don't need it to fly off a hard surface, I have plenty of planes for that.
I bought a big bag of 5 Stryker wings with most of the other parts at a model swap meet a few years ago. I have a few ideas for them. My first Stryker hit the Wyoming prairie at over 125mph wasn't much left of that one.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:25 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi WF ... I would suggest step be ON the CoG or a few mm slightly ahead of it ...

Nigel
Old 12-30-2018, 06:52 PM
trying2fly

Super....can't wait. Please post video or at least pictures when you are complete.!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:34 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

It will be awhile, I have the elevator made and a heavy center fin for the motor wires, also 2 lighter weight outside fins where the normal ones were, for stability.

But it will be awhile, I have 2 kitchens to build for friends and 4 laminate floors to install. Plus I have 2 new windows to install in a mobile home.
Heck, I thought I retired in 2009

Quick Reply: Easy Build Seaplane Plans

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12097 seconds with 20 queries