Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Don't support yourself on RC Groups!

Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I forgot to add. If you want to see THE absolute worst hang around the Formula One sites/forums as a non Lewis Hamilton fan. I was a Nico Rosberg fan. You can't begin to imagine the flack I caught from that. Hamilton fans are absolutely rabid.

Joe
Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I forgot to add. If you want to see THE absolute worst hang around the Formula One sites/forums as a non Lewis Hamilton fan. I was a Nico Rosberg fan. You can't begin to imagine the flack I caught from that. Hamilton fans are absolutely rabid.

Joe
I'll stay out of this subject ... I'm a LH fan ... sorry.

Nigel
Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The larger a forum gets - the worse they get.

Myself and a small band created "Small Boat Club" forum ... which has grown to over 500 members. Not a fantastic number but amazing considering it was born of frustration with the huge YBW forums ... where gangs would cry you down if you dared utter one word different. The sheer weight they would throw into it finally collapsed the forums when some started to create second and third memberships ... YBW owners rescued it and increased the security to prevent it again ... but what happened then was some of the clever ones started usurping others login's ... I was accused of it !! But luckily - the main IT guy was a friend and he defended me. It was enough though.

During the first shut down - I had instigated a temporary web comms called PBO2 - we even had sailing rallyes / meet-ups ... and it was recognised with gifts from YBW for the raffles ... but when the second shutdown occurred and I was accused ...

Many of us have refused to ever go back to YBW - I get odd requests because i have the info / knowledge about fuels etc. they often want. But no - I will not go back.

Too large forums mean that you have increased numbers of undesirables ... RCG is a good example.... as are the YBW forums.

Nigel
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'll stay out of this subject ... I'm a LH fan ... sorry.

Nigel
I was a huge fan of Lewis while he was at McLaren. He got a big head after the move to Mercedes. I was a Nico fan way back when he was with Williams. I just liked the kid and his lack of arrogance. Sadly Nico retired after his 2016 championship win and I no longer have a F1 hero. Mad Max could possibly become the new one. We'll see what the 2019 season has in store for us in a few months. I just hope there is more parity between the teams and we can see some actual racing again. I'd better stop now before THIS becomes an online battle....

I wonder how many race fans we have here? A racing topic in Chit Chat might be cool.

Joe
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Obviously for me its National Pride ... and i disliked Schumacher for his 'mind-games' before races. I was a great F1 fan till it became a car park procession for 65 odd laps ... but I see that lately things are starting to improve.
LH ... I took to him after reading his story of getting to F1 and also the event when other drivers slagged him for not partying after the races... his answer was (and I think its exactly what I would have said) ... I'm here to race - not to win popularity in partying ...

But yes he's become arrogant ... but who wouldn't with the money and life they lead ?

I can only think of two that stayed what can be called 'normal' ... that's Graham Hill and his son Damon ...

I think Damon could have done more if he hadn't suffered the 'mind-games' of Schumacher ....

I cannot forget Damon taking the Arrows so far toward to winning the race against all odds and then his throttle broke on the final lap ...

But here he is being 'interviewed' ..... a classic comedy ...

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Nigel
Old 01-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Now you're bringing up the "Good Old Days" of F1! YES! Not like today when just about anyone on the grid could probably win the championship in a Mercedes! Bottas #2 "wingman" designation excepted. There were so many great drivers in the past. Sorry but I liked Michael for being fast (and probably a little/LOT ruthless). If 2019 continues as a non competitive procession at every race I'll stop watching and move to Formula E. No noise but there is some really close racing AND overtaking in that series! I won't waste any time watching any series racing on ovals but I'll watch IndyCar and even redneck roundup (NASCAR) on road courses. BTCC and Aussie Supercars are some of the closest racing out there but sadly little televised in the USA.

Joe
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hi TJ ...

I had the Wifes parents round as usual .. but this year instead of Turkey - we had a Leg of Lamb ... Champers and Oysters to start.

Glad you had a great day .. so did we ...

Cheers
Nigel
OK, I know it is a British thing, but what exactly are "champers"? Chompers are teeth here in the colonies, but I don't know about champers.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Happy birthday Nigel. You have a 6 month head start on me. I'll see 63 in June.

Joe

63 tomorrow ... I can't believe it !

Cheers
Nigel
You guys are both youngsters. I am 75.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
OK, I know it is a British thing, but what exactly are "champers"? Chompers are teeth here in the colonies, but I don't know about champers.
Champers ..... nickname for Champagne .... you know that bubbly wine stuff that 'girls like' ....

Nigel
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Now you're bringing up the "Good Old Days" of F1! YES! Not like today when just about anyone on the grid could probably win the championship in a Mercedes! Bottas #2 "wingman" designation excepted. There were so many great drivers in the past. Sorry but I liked Michael for being fast (and probably a little/LOT ruthless). If 2019 continues as a non competitive procession at every race I'll stop watching and move to Formula E. No noise but there is some really close racing AND overtaking in that series! I won't waste any time watching any series racing on ovals but I'll watch IndyCar and even redneck roundup (NASCAR) on road courses. BTCC and Aussie Supercars are some of the closest racing out there but sadly little televised in the USA.

Joe
Friend of ours - the son is a mechanic with an F1 team .. he used to be with Mercedes ... where he is now I do not know but he's still there somewhere. We had a chat a couple years back and he was quite scathing about Schumacher and particularly Coulthard.
We also talked about the USA liking for oval racing and he laughed ... but it was interesting when he started talking about the differences ... especially when talking about biased left turn of the cars. And the amount of Brit (mainly Lotus) input to the engines etc.

I have to admit that for my money ... F3 and BRCC can provide some exciting race viewing ...

Nigel