Informal Clubs Club Talk

The VictorValley High Desert Flying Aces

Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Windwizard

Default Electrify jack

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Hi Rich ,ya I heard about that from dave.Were gonna have to find a way to electrafy jack somehow
RT: I might have lost some points with Jack today. When he landed and taxied over to his truck, I said "Thank you, maybe now we can have some peace & quiet."
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

the funny thing is the gassers flying field (milpas) is only 2 miles down the road & its 55mph with no stop signs to get there
Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.funmansion.com/videos/rc_...e_skating.html
Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

that was pretty slick chellie.better whatch out for your tootsies trying that
Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Windwizard

Default The gas people

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
the funny thing is the gassers flying field (milpas) is only 2 miles down the road & its 55mph with no stop signs to get there
RT: Not only that, but just a few miles east of Milpas is one of the best fields for gassers and jets in all of SoCal............Rabbit Dry Lake. I never can understand why they don't go there and fly
Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Windwizard

Now that kid knows how to fly. Sure would be nice................
Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Windwizard

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Kewl Video Richard, Very Well Done
Oh, oops, that was a professionally photographed video.......that was kinda misleading. I was there that day and shot my own video.
Rich
Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Thought I'd Say Hi.... Take Care and have fun flying...

SK
Old 11-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post

SK
HI YA STEVE,thanks for checking in.Hope we can do some more flying again sometime when the weathers not so friggn' crppy-RT
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Windwizard View Post
RT: Not only that, but just a few miles east of Milpas is one of the best fields for gassers and jets in all of SoCal............Rabbit Dry Lake. I never can understand why they don't go there and fly
becareful with rabbit dry Lake bed after a rain, the ground is clayish, and sticks to your tires and fills the groves in Yes, you guessed it, i got stuck out there, the top of the ground looked dry, but it was wet under that, I had a Ford Explorer with posi tractrion on the rear, and still got stuck, Thank goodness, there was a guy there with a 4 wheel drive, and he got me out
Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

SK
Hi Steve I went down the hill today kinda late, had to look at some trailer homes for a family member, found one and made a offer on it, its a big Double wide, very nice too, anyway, I brought back all of my planes except one, its a gaser to it can wait Take care, Chellie
Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Windwizard

Default Rabbit dry lake

becareful with rabbit dry Lake bed after a rain, the ground is clayish, and sticks to your tires and fills the groves in Yes, you guessed it, i got stuck out there, the top of the ground looked dry, but it was wet under that, I had a Ford Explorer with posi tractrion on the rear, and still got stuck, Thank goodness, there was a guy there with a 4 wheel drive, and he got me out
Chellie: I'm going out to Rabbit this morning - been to our Central field 4 days in a row. A friend out at Rabbit has a Hyperion Super Chipmunk 70e that I want to look at - I ordered one yesterday. I think I have 3 possible Mavrick buyers @ the Central field
Rich
Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
balsa1

Hi Rollin thunder The fact is I'm keeping track of you folks from afar the show me state MO. (is this internet the greatist) Since a stroke I haven't gotten out much just got my eyes fixed and got me a scoot so now I working on a trailer to pull for my planes. So i'm just getting back in circulation, you know us old geeezers you can kick the pins out fom under us but just can't keep us down ( some of my dry humor. Les
Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie: I'm going out to Rabbit this morning - been to our Central field 4 days in a row. A friend out at Rabbit has a Hyperion Super Chipmunk 70e that I want to look at - I ordered one yesterday. I think I have 3 possible Mavrick buyers @ the Central field
Rich
Thats great that people want the Mavrick Planes, they will fly when other planes wont the one thing that you have to do to the Mavricks, is to give them a lot of down thrust, that helps to load the main wing and and keep them stable and keeps them from wanting to porpoise,about 3 to 5 degrees is whats needed,

and just 1 servo is needed for the ailerons, the HEX or TP 9 gram servos are super strong, and you only need 1 of them, I just hold the servos in with hot glue, wipe the depron with rubbing alcohol before applying the velcro, it will stick much better. ALSO i used some 1/8" plastic tubeing over the control wires, to keep them from wanting to bend. if the hobby shops dont have the thin tubeing, you can get it at a truck parts house, its called air shift hose, its used for the air shifting on truck transmissions
Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by balsa1 View Post
Hi Rollin thunder The fact is I'm keeping track of you folks from afar the show me state MO. (is this internet the greatist) Since a stroke I haven't gotten out much just got my eyes fixed and got me a scoot so now I working on a trailer to pull for my planes. So i'm just getting back in circulation, you know us old geeezers you can kick the pins out fom under us but just can't keep us down ( some of my dry humor. Les
Thats great to hear Balsa, that your getting your Buns back out there and Flying Post a pic of your trailer when your done with it, would love to see it, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Rich
They will thank you for suggesting the Mavrick to them, Just advise them that it needs 3 to 5 degrees of down thrust, and just use one 9 gram servo for the ailerons, also point them to my Mavrick build thread, it will help them to add the mods that i did, to make this plane fly great, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30651
Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Windwizard

Default Rabbit today

They will thank you for suggesting the Mavrick to them, Just advise them that it needs 3 to 5 degrees of down thrust, and just use one 9 gram servo for the ailerons, also point them to my Mavrick build thread, it will help them to add the mods that i did, to make this plane fly great, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30651
Chellie: I will definitely point the interested parties to your build thread. Our friend was there at the field with his gas plane again yesterday, as I was trying to enjoy a peaceful sailplane flight. So, I went out to Rabbit this morning and had that peaceful flight - got the plane up to 2043' AGL (above ground level). Brian was out and helped me with my Telemaster (Brian Lewis writes articles for Model Airplane News). I complained of the poor performance I've been getting with the 3 cell 4350 mAh battery I've been using for many months. He loaned me a 4 cell 2650 mAh battery and I couldn't believe the difference - I usually need 75' to get off and with the 4 cell I was off in 10'. Here's the only problem: I'm using a Castle Creations Thunderbird 54 amp speed control and they are only good for 3 cell lipos. I mentioned that to Brian and Mark, who is also knowledgeable, and they said that it was OK to run 4 cells. Why does Castle Creations say only 3 cells? ? I called their office this afternoon, but they were already closed.
When are you coming out to the field again?
Rich
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Windwizard

Default MAVRICK

Thats great that people want the Mavrick Planes, they will fly when other planes wont the one thing that you have to do to the Mavricks, is to give them a lot of down thrust, that helps to load the main wing and and keep them stable and keeps them from wanting to porpoise,about 3 to 5 degrees is whats needed,

and just 1 servo is needed for the ailerons, the HEX or TP 9 gram servos are super strong, and you only need 1 of them, I just hold the servos in with hot glue, wipe the depron with rubbing alcohol before applying the velcro, it will stick much better. ALSO i used some 1/8" plastic tubeing over the control wires, to keep them from wanting to bend. if the hobby shops dont have the thin tubeing, you can get it at a truck parts house, its called air shift hose, its used for the air shifting on truck transmissions
Great photos, Chellie!! Many thanks I'm looking forward to getting those Mavrick planes in the air.
Rich
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 AM
balsa1

fine chellie in the spring I have to learn how to uploud pic. I have hit every yard sale in the country buying small bikes for there wheels. O'h bye the way my berg and recX are on the way. from what I have read you have leard a lot in your time thank again for the help Les
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie: I will definitely point the interested parties to your build thread. Our friend was there at the field with his gas plane again yesterday, as I was trying to enjoy a peaceful sailplane flight. So, I went out to Rabbit this morning and had that peaceful flight - got the plane up to 2043' AGL (above ground level). Brian was out and helped me with my Telemaster (Brian Lewis writes articles for Model Airplane News). I complained of the poor performance I've been getting with the 3 cell 4350 mAh battery I've been using for many months. He loaned me a 4 cell 2650 mAh battery and I couldn't believe the difference - I usually need 75' to get off and with the 4 cell I was off in 10'. Here's the only problem: I'm using a Castle Creations Thunderbird 54 amp speed control and they are only good for 3 cell lipos. I mentioned that to Brian and Mark, who is also knowledgeable, and they said that it was OK to run 4 cells. Why does Castle Creations say only 3 cells? ? I called their office this afternoon, but they were already closed.
Rich
Hi Richard I will be out there Sat Morning, if the weather is nice, no Rain the wind I dont mind yes, check into your Thunderbird ESC,
it might not last to long running on 4 cells, Yes 4 cells Makes all the difference in the world just watch your amp draw it goes up real fast with 4 cells, and you will have to prop down some,
get yourself the Turnigy Sentury 60 amp ESC to replace that CC ESC on 4 cells, these are good for up to 26Volts, I love these turnigy ESC, affordable and Work great and last forever http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

you dont need to use the extra monitoring plug on the esc if you dont want to, but its nice to have
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hw_g60a.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	114677  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by balsa1 View Post
fine chellie in the spring I have to learn how to uploud pic. I have hit every yard sale in the country buying small bikes for there wheels. O'h bye the way my berg and recX are on the way. from what I have read you have leard a lot in your time thank again for the help Les
your going to love those Berg Receivers, I just Wish i would have learned about them sooner I could have saved a few planes as with all micro receivers, lay the antenna wire on the receiver body and wrap it with some fiberglass straping tape, that keeps the antenna from ever wanting to pull off of the receiver in a Hard Landing / Crash , also use a little scotch tape to help hold the crystal in, it will help to keep it from ever wanting to vibrate out, a common problem on mirco receivers, because the pins are so small on them, I have learned over the years to build in Reliability into my planes, so they just keep going and going like the Energiser Bunny LOL
Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

it looks like your ok using a 4 cell lipo with your CC 54 amp esc, as its rated for 15 Volts, dont know why the listed 3 cell lipo ?

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nderbirds.html

THUNDERBIRD-54

Price:
BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL $41.99

Part #:
010-0053-00

Max amps:

Max volts:
15 volts
3S Lipo
12 NiCad/NiMh

BEC:
Linear regulator
3 amp max

Length:
Width:
Height:
2" (50.8mm)
1.15" (29.2mm)
0.4" (10.16mm)

Weight:
1.2 oz (34g)

Brake:
On/Off
Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

If you noticed, the CC thunderbird ESC has a Linear BEC ,and the turnigy esc has a Switching Bec, a Switching BEC is much much better,
Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I'm using a Castle Creations Thunderbird 54 amp speed control and they are only good for 3 cell lipos. I mentioned that to Brian and Mark, who is also knowledgeable, and they said that it was OK to run 4 cells. Why does Castle Creations say only 3 cells? ? I called their office this afternoon, but they were already closed.
Rich
I can prob help with that info... several people I know have used it for 4cell, they usually use a seperate BEC, I don't think the internal Bec likes the higher voltage (although it still might work as you've found out)... and may give you issues... especially on higher amp draw and rapid servo movement...

SK
Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I can prob help with that info... several people I know have used it for 4cell, they usually use a seperate BEC, I don't think the internal Bec likes the higher voltage (although it still might work as you've found out)... and may give you issues... especially on higher amp draw and rapid servo movement...

SK
Yes, I belive your right Steve, as it has a Linear BEC and 4 cells wont allow it to deliver the amps needed with the higher voltages, so a UBEC is needed with 4 cells, Good catch Take care and have fun, Chellie

PS. Did I say I love Turnigy ESC with Switching BECs

Quick Reply: The VictorValley High Desert Flying Aces

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15786 seconds with 12 queries