RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A Spektrum DX7 MUST SEE

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Default A Spektrum DX7 MUST SEE

Okay gang. Many of you know I've had problems with my first DX7. That was replaced by Spektrum, and I have not had any problems since then.

However, today, I was doing some thrust bench testing, and noticed something strange about my Spektrum DX7 -- though it still operated properly.

This is NOT a joke. This is NOT a Photoshop deal (I don't know how to use Photoshop that well anyway).

Please let me know if you've ever seen this before, or if you know what caused it.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1938.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	112757  
Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 AM
compflight

Funny you should say that. If I remember mine did it ONCE. Only once and I think I had been flying in the rain. I thought it had been ruined. It corrected itself after and I never thought of it any more - until you mention this . . . weird stuff eh?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I saw another picture somewhere of that exact same thing. I'd E-mail horizon with this picture. It probably works just fine, but it shouldn't do that.

Also, is it weird that I could read that without thinking about it.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

weird huh?

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM
bassplayinDude

I read a thread about this yesterday on RCG. When you power cycled your Tx, it came back normal, right?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Bill, you are just WRONG!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
Old Bill just ain't right no more poor feller,,, bbustvee
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Okay gang. Many of you know I've had problems with my first DX7. That was replaced by Spektrum, and I have not had any problems since then.

However, today, I was doing some thrust bench testing, and noticed something strange about my Spektrum DX7 -- though it still operated properly.

This is NOT a joke. This is NOT a Photoshop deal (I don't know how to use Photoshop that well anyway).

Please let me know if you've ever seen this before, or if you know what caused it.

Thanks for your help!
Looks fine to me,, are your sure you not Dis'lect'tic or something,, evetsbub

Last edited by Bub Steve; 11-05-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: don't remember
Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by bassplayinDude View Post
I read a thread about this yesterday on RCG. When you power cycled your Tx, it came back normal, right?
Yep -- powered it off, and back on -- and it looked just fine.

I'm sure the problem is that the LCD driver has a bit that reverses the display. A momentary voltage spike caused the digital signal to be misunderstood by the LCD driver, and the LCD was magicly reversed.

My concern is this -- what OTHER bits are being reversed by momentary voltage spikes? Is there one which reduces the range of my transmitter by HALF (i.e. "range check" function)?

Just something to think about.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
You mean WONRG don't you?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
You mean WONRG don't you?
That used to be the coolest radio station. Too bad they aren't around anymore.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Interesting -- I turned on my DX7 last night, and the display was completely blank!

It has not yet happened at the field -- only when I'm testing a motor in my hobby room...
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Question Hmmm...

Mine has done everything but reverse like that. I've plowed several planes in the ground thanks to the DX7 or a AR6100 but after the third trip back to Horizon it has been behaving itself, for now...

Makes you wonder if you can trust the thing. I still use 72 MHz for my expensive stuff.

I'm about ready to scrap the DX7 and get a JR X9303. After all the DX7 was just the test bed for the JR radios.

With all the events going to 2.4GHz it is forcing us to upgrade !!!
Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
compflight

Watt makes you think (pun intended) the X9303 is any better. I had one and I must admit it was a step up and changed all my radio geat at one stage to JR - a very expensive exercise.
I went out one day and after travelling several miles couldnt fly because the rx had been changed and it needs that special bind plug to do it. That was it. In fact it happend a few times. Subsequently I changed to Futaba. No more bind issues, no more brown out issues, no more having to fit two receivers issues, superb software setup . . . the list goes on. In short I have NEVER once looked back.
What convinces others its the right radio is at the field. They turn their trannies on and their receivers and if they are lucky a connection in a couple of seconds which may or may not be accompanies with some servos giving a mighty jolt as they become live. - Damned annoying if you have mechanical retracts. That is sometimes cured by re-binding when all the settings have been established. However, turn on the Futaba Tx, turn in the RX and milliseconds later a solid connection with no jolts from any of the servos. Oh did I forget to mention the fat easier failsafe setups rather than JR's "last known position" setup. OK, you can do a proper failsafe setting on their most expensive ones but not their everyday lower priced ones.
What is the value of a good solid system. - Priceless, and it was worth every darned cent to change to Futaba.

Last edited by compflight; 11-20-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Buck Rogers

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Yep -- powered it off, and back on -- and it looked just fine.

I'm sure the problem is that the LCD driver has a bit that reverses the display. A momentary voltage spike caused the digital signal to be misunderstood by the LCD driver, and the LCD was magicly reversed.

My concern is this -- what OTHER bits are being reversed by momentary voltage spikes? Is there one which reduces the range of my transmitter by HALF (i.e. "range check" function)?

Just something to think about.

Yeah, you could have something there - maybe it was a bit of interference from a near-by cell phone or something. Cell phones are banned on the flight line of my club because they have caused things like this to happen.