Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

120mm EDFs...Where to get them?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default 120mm EDFs...Where to get them?

Ok folks, I have been searching the net for several days now, for some 120mm EDFs. No matter how I word it, Google keeps giving me the same websites! Sure, alot of these on-line stores offer 120mm EDF units but no models. I'm looking for some larger birds.

If anyone knows where I can go on-line to find them, that would be great! I'm looking for 60"-70"+ in length. At this point, I don't care if it's foam or composite.

I looked at some of the Tam Jets, but that's a bit too much just for the bird. Of course, if all else fails, I'll probably drop the money on one of them. I just haven't found that much info on them by actual pilots and owners. Too much to invest on a bird with an uncertain track record. Thanks folks.

Mike
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

If anyone knows where to pick up the plans for some huge foamies or kits, that would help too. Not really looking for a profile bird though. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 AM
alfons73

Hi Mike,

the Hawker Hunter 1:8 from Century Jet Models is a good option.

greets Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GFK-Teile no1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	154512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kleinteile no2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	154513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauptfahrwerk no3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	154514   Click image for larger version

Name:	HST-77-ImRumpf no6.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	154515  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

A few options in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=120mm

Steve
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks guys! Checking them out now...

Mike
Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by alfons73 View Post
Hi Mike,

the Hawker Hunter 1:8 from Century Jet Models is a good option.

greets Frank
I visited the site and it was pretty nice, Just not looking for turbine models. I do appreciate the help friend. Thank you.

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
A few options in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=120mm

Steve
I looked at that link and read quite a bit. Most of the links on that site led me to german sites. Only one I was able to convert to english, lol. They were also talking about a huge F-22 and F-35. I saw the pics posted, and was VERY interested. But when I checked the site, it was no where to be found. Of course these posts on RCGroups were almost posted a year ago, lol. Thanks anyways bud, I really appreciate the response.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Mike what about Bob Violett/ BVM?

Not sure what you are looking for but some sweet birds there. One guy at the field has a few of them, all electric, and they fly amazing.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post

Not sure what you are looking for but some sweet birds there. One guy at the field has a few of them, all electric, and they fly amazing.
Thanks friend. I'll Google that and see what I can find. I'm really looking for a Mirage 2000, F-22 Raptor and the A-10 Warthog.

A few years ago, I searched vigorously for a nice A-10. But all I could ever find were small cheap RTF foamies.

Mike
Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post

Awesome site!! Just way too much money for me, lol. I would love to get my hands on one of his birds. I wish he offered them in different sizes, and maybe a few specificly for electric power. Thanks for the info...if anything, it was a blast to look at, lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

He does do a range of electric specific designs and conversions plus his own EDF units: http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/electric_kits.htm

But yeah, rich kids only need apply But there again, you aren't going to be able to do a decent 120mm EDF model 'on the cheap'.

Steve
Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

He does do a range of electric specific designs and conversions plus his own EDF units: http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/electric_kits.htm

But yeah, rich kids only need apply But there again, you aren't going to be able to do a decent 120mm EDF model 'on the cheap'.

Steve
Investing the money wouldn't be a problem. It's just somewhat of a rediculous price. I have no issues dishing out $500-$700 just for the bird. But over $2,000.00??

I would be willing to pay a bit more for a good quality jet kit. I'm confident in my skills as an R/C pilot....but I'm not willing to risk almost $6,500.00 on one plane.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'm with you on the price. All up with retracts and the BVM fan these models are running to at least $5,000. Maybe the hand built nature and superb quality of the models and parts makes them worth every penny, but it's still a whole load of cash to dump on a toy airplane! For me the cost would take all the enjoyment out of flying, but i guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are, $5k is small change to the lucky few.

Steve
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I'm with you on the price. All up with retracts and the BVM fan these models are running to at least $5,000. Maybe the hand built nature and superb quality of the models and parts makes them worth every penny, but it's still a whole load of cash to dump on a toy airplane! For me the cost would take all the enjoyment out of flying, but i guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are, $5k is small change to the lucky few.

Steve
LOL, you said it Steve.