Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Help Need build sheet instructions

Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Spike101

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Actually, now that tobydogs mentioned it, I would definitely go with the nylon spacers. They will add a lot more rigidity to withstand the torque and potentially side load that a rough landing or some knife edge spins/blenders would produce. I also like the blind nuts and sometimes even another nut behind those to really lock things down.
You think the bolts I am using are going to flex? I will look for standoff material to re-enforce the bolts.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 02:59 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Hi Spike,
If you still have the motor mounted as shown in the original picture. Grab a hold of it firmly by the X mount and give the mounting bolts a twist. if they easily shift by hand I can tell you the power 110 spinning a large prop will twist them out of shape in a heart beat. the reason the blind nuts work best with standoff mounts is because your squeezing the mounts flush to the firewall and the X mount on your motor. Take note to get the standoffs that are wider than 1/2inch. these plastic tubes come in many thicknesses. 3/4" would be best for such a large motor. the hole down the center to match your bolts and not to large to allow slipping.
the Esc and batteries you have are perfect,you'll get 8+ minutes depending on throttle use.

Dang......I hope you get to maiden this bird and video to share. If i hadn't gotten so hooked on fpv'ing I would have considered replacing the SBach. As far as General hobby goes,we get a great plane and no expectations of buy replacement parts when a whole plane is so cheap. also remember like suggested to go over the whole airframe where possible with thin CA.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 AM
birdDog
Charging....

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Nylon%2520Spacer?NCNI-5

The larger footprint and outside diameter ads a much greater amount of rigidity. No nuts between the motor and firewall. I would only have the nylon and some washers between the two.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:47 AM
Spike101

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
Hi Spike,
If you still have the motor mounted as shown in the original picture. Grab a hold of it firmly by the X mount and give the mounting bolts a twist. if they easily shift by hand I can tell you the power 110 spinning a large prop will twist them out of shape in a heart beat. the reason the blind nuts work best with standoff mounts is because your squeezing the mounts flush to the firewall and the X mount on your motor. Take note to get the standoffs that are wider than 1/2inch. these plastic tubes come in many thicknesses. 3/4" would be best for such a large motor. the hole down the center to match your bolts and not to large to allow slipping.
the Esc and batteries you have are perfect,you'll get 8+ minutes depending on throttle use.

Dang......I hope you get to maiden this bird and video to share. If i hadn't gotten so hooked on fpv'ing I would have considered replacing the SBach. As far as General hobby goes,we get a great plane and no expectations of buy replacement parts when a whole plane is so cheap. also remember like suggested to go over the whole airframe where possible with thin CA.
I squeezed the bolts and nothing moved at all. I could pick the plane up with these bolts and shake the plane around and the bolts do not move. Better safe than sorry though, so I will look for the standoffs and the blind nuts as well. Thanks so much for everyone's help, I very much appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 AM
Spike101

Well I bought the blind nuts and installed them, as well as the nylon spacers and installed them. (pictures to follow at a later date). Had to hit both Menard's and Home Depot to get enough nylon spacers.

I have a new question: I bought a 18x10 APC prop and the mounting hole needs to be larger to fit the engine shaft. Can I drill it out or do I have to buy and use a reamer? I think it is made of plastic or it could be nylon.

Okay two questions: I need a nose cone spinner, how do I determine the size make and model and material type I should buy.

I am learning a little bit more every time I work on this plane and it is a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1772.JPG (994.6 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Spike101; 01-30-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: more info