Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

EPO Formosa II

Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 AM
TopSpin

I have a plain Formosa box but the Formosa II won't fit in it. I have had a buch of GWS stuff, mostly warbirds but also Pico moth, 400 Tigermoth, and several slow sticks.

Right now besides the FormosaII I have a brand new Zero, my third one. I still have my first one but the second one met the ground at a high rate of speed. I wish GWS would get their act together. One of the best things about their planes is that you can bash them and power them up almost any way you want. You can't do that with most other models and GWS planes fly really well if you set them up right.

I'm getting another eye operation next week but I hope to get started on this thing right after that so I'll post pictures and some build info.

I still have to maiden the F4F Wildcat and post the video for that one.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Back in stock and I pulled the trigger ! Yeah !

Will read through build threads again. On the LG, I'll probably hand launch but was thinking Chellie's gear might add a nice touch.

Will anxious await !

-Hawk
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post

Will read through build threads again. On the LG, I'll probably hand launch but was thinking Chellie's gear might add a nice touch.

Will anxious await !

-Hawk
Nice! Hawk....you won't regret it!

cr
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks CR,

I'll be asking questions, I'm sure. Just like I did when I first got the C-182 a couple of years ago. BTW, been flying that one again. Got a new prop shaft and finally got her trimmed-out properly. Only took me two years !

-Hawk
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Thanks CR,

I'll be asking questions, I'm sure. Just like I did when I first got the C-182 a couple of years ago. BTW, been flying that one again. Got a new prop shaft and finally got her trimmed-out properly. Only took me two years !

-Hawk
Your gonna get spoiled on the mosa!! have fun

cr
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Will anxious await !

-Hawk
Hear is a little Idea for thought this is not my pic, but helps to explain a lot as far as mounting a Custom Landing gear.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Formosa-II-flaps.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	167272  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

TopSpin,

How's your build coming along ? I received mine today and all I can say is:" Wow ! what a lot of parts !" A gazillion little plastic pieces. The manual is kind of funky. A lot chinglish. Make your own spinner by carving and shaping a foam block? Not.

Not sure they got the memo that said we're now in the 21st century. This one will take some time. I picture a bunch a mold makers running around with mullet hair cuts.

They have a page on flying the and another one called: Painting/ Pecorating Huh? A drill is a Dirll. -LOL Nowhere is CG discussed.

Should be fun nevertheless. I'll take my merry ole time. Looks a like a great rainy day project.

Supposedly, they do fly very well.

-Hawk
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

TopSpin,

How's your build coming along ? I received mine today and all I can say is:" Wow ! what a lot of parts !" A gazillion little plastic pieces. The manual is kind of funky. A lot chinglish. Make your own spinner by carving and shaping a foam block? Not.

Not sure they got the memo that said we're now in the 21st century. This one will take some time. I picture a bunch a mold makers running around with mullet hair cuts.

They have a page on flying the and another one called: Painting/ Pecorating Huh? A drill is a Dirll. -LOL Nowhere is CG discussed.

Should be fun nevertheless. I'll take my merry ole time. Looks a like a great rainy day project.

Supposedly, they do fly very well.

-Hawk
4" from the front wing at the fuse is where mines marked and fly's great there, I don't remember see'in a CG either but I just figured 1/3 from the front and dialed her in a bit and marked it about five years ago,, I still fly her alot , she's a sweetheart with a tame 450 in her instead of the power 10 I used to fly in her, bubsteve

Name:	petty_an_red_408.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	167435  
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks bubsteve !

Got my work cut out for me. Was going to try my emax 2820/07 that I pulled out my T-28(RIP) but it's a hoss.

-Hawk
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks bubsteve !

Got my work cut out for me. Was going to try my emax 2820/07 that I pulled out my T-28(RIP) but it's a hoss.

-Hawk
Hi Hawk I had another Idea on the landing gear that might be a little easier to do, rather than a 3/4" wide single piece, we can make a 2 piece 1/2 "Wide by 1/8" thick landing gear to replace the stock wire landing gear on the wing, that should make it a lot easier and a lot stronger, you will just need to epoxy the assemble in place on the wing, let me know what you think, Take care, Chellie

another idea is to use 3 or 4 mm wire and bend it to the same size as your original 2mm landing gear, just drill out the holes in the wheel bigger, there is more than one way to Skin a cat

Last edited by CHELLIE; 03-28-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

As you can see in this thread the GWS landing gear has always been a problem

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39899

http://www.gwsus.com/english/service...ane_manual.htm
Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Great info Chellie,

Thanks # 1765

-Hawk
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
LPatrick

Hawk, suggest you decide where the tailfeather servos go and handle the pushrod tubing matter prior to gluing the fus halves together (unless you wish to run them externally as I ended up doing). Putting servos in the tail recesses will require a WHOLE bunch of weight at the nose to balance. My machine is ready for the first flight, tomorrow I hope. Will post some gear photos as soon as I find my solution working. Also methods for attaching the wing to the fus as I think the method in the kit guarantees inflight separation of the two pieces. You will also discard 90% of the plastic pieces as not useful or necessary.

Lloyd
Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Lloyd,

Thanks ! and good luck on the maiden.

It's always great to get insider tips on a build as well as flight characteristics. The Mosa seems to be highly liked for the later more than the former. I think my bad-@$$ motor will help with the balance issue. I don't mind mounting the servo, rods and linkage to the outside of the airframe. Interesting about the wing mount issue though. Coming off in flight would not be a good thing.

Suppose I should get crackin on this baby.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I put the servo over the wing in the fuse and still had tail-heavy issues ,
bubsteve

Name:	petty an red 390.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	167439  
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks bubsteve,

What did you do to cure? add ballast to the nose?

-Hawk
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I put a power 10 in it like your doing,, it was hard on the plane and wick'id fast, I toned her down with a smaller outtie and 12 nickels under the clear motor cowling ( I like to keep an eye on my money) she ain't a barn-burner but still does all the fun stuff, bubsteve

Name:	SAM_0891.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	167440   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0907.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	167441  
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

bubsteve,

60 cents? is that all? LOL Maybe I can rig a coin slot for the fuse. Just keep dropping coins in until it balances.

Your's look great. Wish I could paint. Have some spraypaint left over. My just paint the cowl and call it day. If and when I finish this baby I think I'll have a Ma-Mosa to celebrate !

-Hawk
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM
LPatrick

The landing gear attachment: Gorilla glued two wing mounting blocks (in kit) together, and poured a liberal amount of epoxy in the hole. Set the blocks in the puddle, let dry overnight, and secured the home made aluminum gear struts with #10 x 1/2" wood screws. Seems tight and strong .

Buried a 1/8" x 1/2" x 2" piece of ply in the leading edge of the wing and furrowed under the plastic kit piece to accept an inch of the ply into the fuselage. The plastic piece was further augmented by two flat head counter sunk screws epoxied thru the plastic and into the foam.

Could not figure out how the kit maker intended to mount the trailing edge screw receivers so as to align with the screws. So I cut the plate, mounted T nuts (#8) and stuck the sucker down with JB Weld and two epoxied in place dry wall screws. Routed out an area on the wing to receive the plate and keep the factory incidence.

The tail servos are on top of the wing, but I still needed one ounce of lead on the firewall. The motor is a E-flite 480 with a plastic extension mount. The ESC is between the motor and the firewall.

What you get for $50 is three pieces of foam, several dozen useless plastic parts, a flimsy cowl, a nice cockpit canopy, two useless landing gear struts, and a assembly manual that says "HaHa I fooled you!" Been doing this stuff for over a decade and never found any kit near this aggravating.

But its gonna fly like a champ!

Name:	FORWARD WING HOLD DOWN.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	167458   Click image for larger version

Name:	LANDING GEAR ATTACHMENT.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	167459   Click image for larger version

Name:	WING HOLD DOWN PLATE.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	167460   Click image for larger version

Name:	WING ROUTE.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	167461   Click image for larger version

Name:	WING HOLD DOWN RECEIVER.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	167462  

Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Lloyd,

Thanks for the pics and build advice. I'm a sponge for information and ideas.

My sentiments the same on the kit and the manual. There's not much there. I hope the flight time ends up exceeding the build and aggrevation time. Now I have to see if I have 12 nickels. See the advantage of bubsteve's layout running rods through the fuse on the inside. Might not need extension cables doing it this was and of course, less nickels in the nose. Bought some paint but will not go hog wild on this one. Maybe paint the cowl and underside. Need to go out and buy another spinner.

Probably start on it tonight though I'm a lttle burned out from the HK Yak-54 I won last year in a raffle. Finally got around to putting it together. Actually won two of them but will give away the other one. Talk about old school. Big-@$$ fiberglass fuse. 6S, 500kv BL,std servos, etc. Meant for gas.

Anyway, looks like you're close to maiden. Lets us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 03-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Will anxious await !

-Hawk
Hi Dave Thought you might want to see your New Aluminum landing gear I made them a tad longer than stock.

I checked on the wood Wedges that I had, and they are not wide enough, they are used to shim wood floors and doors, No Problem, I have to build another Chicken Coop for my new Killer Chickens/Chicks I bought 3 Chicks about 2 weeks ago, they were fur Balls when i bought them, now they are 4 times larger they eat 4 times more and poop 4 times more now

I need to get my Table Saw out Today and make an A Frame Chicken Coop, So i will cut up some wood Wedges for your Langing gear at the same time, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Name:	Daves 001.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	167501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daves 003.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	167502  
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie,

Cluck cluck... You're the best !

No rush. Haven't started on it yet.

Happy Easter !
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

In scoping out this build, there looks to be lots of options. I want to make a battery bay on the top between the cowl and the canopy. RX and servos on the bottom side. Any reason I can't use the top of wing as the floor for the battery?

Happy Easter !

-Hawk
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
TopSpin

Hi dahawk, I'm back. I had to have a second operation on my eye but it is really great and I can see again.

Anyway there is no reason not to just cut the foam section out in the current battery location and glue in a piece of basswood ply for a floor. That way you can get a 2200 3S lipo under the hood and keep it up front for proper balance. There is still plenty of room underneath for the electronics.

I have been utterly swamped with other stuff but will get started on mine on Tuesday so I'll post some pictures and I will pay special attention to the battery bay. You will love the way this plane flys, it is still one of the best foam pattern planes ever made.

Almost forgot, if you don't already have it here is some useful info:

Center of Gravity: 90mm± Back from the wing's leading edge
Control Throws- Low Rate High Rate
Ailerons: Up & Down .78" (20mm) 1.37" (35mm)
Elevator: Up & Down .59" (15mm) 1.37" (35mm)
Rudder: Right & Left 1.18" (30mm) 1.96" (50mm
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Top !

Glad you made it through eye surgery(yikes) and are back in the game.

Been researching , looking at different options. battery and servo locations.

Have not mixed any epoxy yet. In no real rush. Want to do it right. Will wait on your pics and recommendations. Meanwhile, gathering everything I need. Need to make a ply motor mount, but have some plastic standoffs. Servos? check. Custom LG from Chellie on the way? check. Spinner? nope. Thinking about using golden rod instead of the 1mm wire rods with z bends. Worked good in the F4J Phantom.

Happy Easter !

-Hawk

Quick Reply: EPO Formosa II

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13156 seconds with 23 queries